1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Minecraft Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Nov 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Minecraft is pure awesome wrapped in greatness and sprinkled with digital cocaine.
    Sadly I had to tear myself away from it due to a sudden huge demand for my attention from the real world - whatever that is.

3. centy

centy DFI Nutter

I like it.
    I was once without tools, blocks or torches in a deep cave, as my friend block jumped his way out I felt a strange sense of panic and claustrophobia as I realised I was being left behind.
    NO other game has ever provoked such a strong feeling in me, this is just one example of why this is such a great game.

4. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Couldn't agree more with this review. One thing I will say though is Minecraft gets truly great if you give yourself a project. Something like creating a massive castle, or a bunch of farms with the produces being routed into a storage area with a bunch of waterways or... well anything you like. Gives yourself a goal and stick at it. There is nothing more satisfying in the realm of gaming as when you put that final block in place.

5. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I might buy this, first review of it I've read.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I keep meaning to play this but on the rare occasion I get half an hour to my self I generally take the opportunity to blast on Altitude. How well does this lend to short bursts of play?

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I wouldn't say minecraft lends itself to short burst but you can play like that if you want and it can be quite good for working on specific projects. You'll probably want to spend a few hours on it occasionally though, not to mention the fact that I often involuntarily find myself having wasted a few hours or even a few days on it inadvertantly.

8. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

Short bursts of play are difficult. It's addictive and time disappears when you play it. It's no easier to put down that Skyrim for me. I need a few hours at a time to feel like I've accomplished something.

I like Minecraft. It's best with friends.

9. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

this game should be packaged with windows... its a must have for everyone!

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

What is a skellington? are you sure it's not a skeleton?

Awesome game BTW, once you pick it up its bloody hard to put down.

11. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

One of the few yet to give it a try. Will put it on my to play list.

12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

My kids have spent hours building fantastical structures. It is digital lego - only much cheaper and tidier.

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I know when I first saw minecraft my thoughts were the same as Clives and Harrys. "What the hell is the point of this?" I asked one of my mates. Then we bought it - when it was half price because of someone getting married? - and played it and it was fun.

While it may not look like much, it's very fun to play especially with friends. When we started, we had no idea what we were doing, all we knew was that at night, bad things come for you. Hurrying around gathering as many resources as possible, watching the sunset. Then just before it gets dark, we dug a hole in the ground, and hid for the night. 3 of us in a pitch black hole, trying not to smash eachother in the face with a pickaxe!

I would say to Clive and Harry, give it a go together on multiplayer, and don't look up how to build stuff. :p

The only thing I don't really like about MC, is the performance isn't great imo.

14. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Really good review. I will try this game at some point, but at the moment I am too engaged in other games like BF3 :).

15. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

this game is such a change of pace from the normal fps/drive sim's etc.
    its made even better if you find a decent server to join :)

16. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

What about the aether mod? does it still works with v1.0 of minecraft?
    Aether is a MUST have for minecraft.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

*facepalm*

18. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

Very accurate review. Really good observations in the conclusion. I fall for the latter group 'don't like minecraft'. I just don't get it and the graphics..huh. I just don't want to spend time in it, time I can spend in SC2 getting into upper devision :D

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah...now it makes sense.
    In the Demo I played, there's neither resource gathering nor crafting.
    Just appearing/disappearing blocks, never understood what's so cool about it.

20. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

whats left AFTER the dragon ?.....the propensity for geeks to geek out always amazes me, If I played this, my mates would slag me to the point of me commiting hari kari, "aww look, he built a pretty castle, its got a garden and waterfall, how cute", now, if it had a deathmatch feature, or even a challenge mode, it might interest me, imagine having just 30 minutes to build defenses before your hit with 30 dudes intent on destruction, then the idea of building structures has meaning, otherwise its pointless....

Tags: Add Tags