1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat Foldings worst Enemy

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Vince_Kinslow, 30 Jun 2009.

1. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

Well as we all are aware the weather has been exceptionally good here in the UK its 7.45am in my office and already 22 Centigrade. With the weather due to be at it s hottest on Thursday I wonder how our production rate will be impacted :worried:

Stress on Hardware and the people living with the kit :(

I know Im constantly checking temps on the GPU's I can ill affrod any more dead ones I have 4 PNY 8800GT which I cant get RMA as I can recall where I got them from no Invoice :duh:

Rather be out enjoying this lovely weather potter around the garden a bit!

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I know speedfan can set alerts for when something over heats
    but im not sure it could do multiple graphics cards.

Im thinking if you had a mobile device with email on.
    If they over heat would email you and you could run back inside from the garden :p

3. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

I know what you meen. we have 2 15000btu aircons on full and my pc temps are still around 80! and the room temp ....warm getting warmer as the day goes on.

sure the heat had something to do with a poweredge server going mental and being the internet gateway messed up my fah for two days!

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

SAme deal here, I had to turn one of my rigs off last night because the room got to 34 degrees, a new record. GPU temps were through the roof all day yesterday. All I can do is hope and pray that nothing dies on me :(

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

My 8800GT's are hitting 80 degrees in a small room thats AC'd down to 16 degrees.
    Not great.

6. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Luckily my main multi-GPU rigs are in a 30kw air-con cooled server room in work but my home rigs are sweating a bit!

My main 2 machines at home which are the i7 @ 3.8ghz has seen up to 75 degrees even in an Antec 1200 with all fans on full and my Q6600 @ 3.1 has seen up to 65 degrees which is the hottest ive ever seen it and thats in an Antec 900-2 again with fans on full!

Funny thing is though the overclocked GTX260 and 9800gt with Neo cooler with fans manually set to 100% are cooler than the CPUs lol

7. spt

spt What's a Dremel?

One of my main computer rooms is running very high temps at the moment, both the kids and me are suffering and thats through normal use of the computers during the day (well and folding in the background). Thankfully I dont have anything to record how warm it is in here otherwise the kids would be even less happy!

8. Vince_Kinslow

What none of us need to be fair in this heat are those pesky 511 pointers they certainly create a good fry up :nono:

Last edited: 30 Jun 2009
  9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Correct!

10. Vince_Kinslow

To be fair those 1888 pointers on 8800gt take 11 hours ish to fold but the difference in the GPU temps is phenomenal :brrr:

30 degrees C in my little office the sun has moved around to the side of the house and heating it up some more!

11. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

28DegC in my hall, and similar temps on the landing where the PC's are still clustered pending shifting to their new home on the top floor (and that's with the windows open) - I think the phrase is 'its a bit hot in the house' is an apt one (.... and is causing a few 'issues' with the other half.....) :worried: :hehe:

12. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

Oh how I agree, it is typical then that after a week with none, that I get a shed load over the last 2 days...

The response to the Mrs is quite simple, [singing] 'It's getting hot in here, so take of all your clothes'

:D

Must raise the overclock.....

13. Vince_Kinslow

Now 32 C in my office :nono:

14. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

Beats me, only hitting 29 C up ere.........

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Back in 2006 when we had a swealtering summer I got a couple of large flexible tubes (the types you get at the back of portable ACU or tumbledryers) and attatched it to two of the 120mm fans to the computer, one intake one exhaust. The tubes fit perfectly and temperature dropped in the room and computer quite significantly.

Just remember to put a filter at the end of the intake tube!

16. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Connecticut is, and this is just an approximation, 6 thousand billion degrees today. Waiting on VGA coolers to resume folding properly after I had to let things cool off yesterday :(

17. Vince_Kinslow

Has she taken her clothes off yet! :naughty:

18. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

I got you on my radar today Deadpunkdave to overtake in 1.5 weeks :sigh:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=433075

19. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

I have 30.6 degree C at 21.00 pm in my upstairs office with two PC folding :worried:

20. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Currently have 2 PCs folding underneath my other half's desk. To quote her when I arrived home this afternoon 'if you don't turn one of these off I'm going to cut your b*lls off and then stuff them ..........'

A/C unit arrives tomorrow.