1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The No.1 producer challenge

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by saspro, 8 Aug 2009.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

As phoenicis has hit No.3 in the real world top producers (after mutsu & atlas) anyone fancy taking No.1?

How about all folding under customPC" for a couple of weeks to get that coveted No.1 slot?

I'm up for the crack. We'd only need 450k ppd (phoenicis does over half of that on his own).

We'd need the top 20 producers to get involved just to make it interesting, (would make it 1m ppd more or less)

2. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Why not. I'm in.

3. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Sounds like fun :)

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

+1

Or we could use the CPChimps name, perhaps.

5. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I'm game although I've already started the decom of a couple of rigs so points will be dropping off somewhat.

I don't think we can use CPChimps for fear of us being precluded from using it during the next CC. I seem to recall that other teams couldn't use usernames or subteams that had seen non-CC activity. How about Howler_Monkeys :D.

Just to spice things up, does anyone feel like challenging another subteam while we're at it?

We need more people. C'mon team, sound off.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  6. JackOfAll

If we're going to do this, then I think a brand new username is obligatory in any case. I like the idea of using "CustomPC" as the username. It might generate a little promotion for our team. More so than a slighlty more obscure username, anyway.

My vote would be to start it as a bit of fun without any announcement outside the forum. If it turns into a competition after other teams flag up what we're doing.... ie. "Hey, whats going on here, this CustomPC user is number 1 in the producer charts.... Why don't we fold as a single user....." Then, so be it. We'll, have achieved our aim - number 1 producer, (excepting default and PS3), and getting noticed - perhaps generating a little publicity for the team. We'd still have the option of sticking with it as a competition if other teams decide to challenge.

7. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I'm easy either way. Just thought username: CustomPC, team name: CustomPC was a bit hum drum. We'd get the team noticed from the team name anyway.

Tactically, if we go all out, we'll be showing our hand. Once people see what we're made of they'll not challenge us unless they feel they can beat us. Besides winning, of course, the unknown is the best thing about a competition.

I do like the idea of just going and taking the world by surprise but if we do that we should probably forget any thoughts of a challenge.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I am up for this, I'm going to be a folding millionaire by the end of today (YAY!!) so am happy to donate plenty of points to this challenge. My vote for a name would be along the lines of "CPC_Summit_Team"

Great idea saspro :thumb:

9. JackOfAll

Take your point, but a bit of taunting once we get No. 1 producer will get a challenge started, if we haven't already been challenged as soon as another team picks up on what we're up to. Gut instinct says to go get No. 1 producer and then once we have it challenge other teams to take it away from us. ;) (Not quite sure what sort of logic that's based on.)

10. Unicorn

Sounds good to me, lets not throw anything out there just yet. Play it close to our chests and well have a better chance of getting number one producer and holding it for a while. If we use a name other than 'CustomPC', well still get the recognition for it from the team name.

11. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Congrats on the million Uni :thumb: Like the name too. I guess I just have a monkey name fetish.

OK with me.

I wonder if sas has slept his hangover off yet or if he even remembers creating this thread :hehe:

12. JackOfAll

That works! :thumb:

Just thinking out loud. No-one else has to agree with my logic. :D

Ah, penny has just dropped. The London meet + Beer = Hangover. :duh:

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The hangover's all gone.

Still was a great idea for a thread though.

14. Unicorn

Indeed it was :thumb:

15. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

Hey you can all fold under my name I dont mind.:hehe:

16. Unicorn

Haha, well played!

17. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

So are we going to do this or not?

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Of course.
    Shall we start friday at noon?

Do we need to get a passkey for the 8 core Linux boxes or can we use our existing ones?

19. JackOfAll

Passkey is specific to username, so someone will need to fold a WU under the new username and then request a passkey for that username. Are we going to use "CPC_Summit_Team" as the username? I don't mind switching over a couple of my regular A2 folders so we have the required 10 units by Friday, under our belts so to speak, before any bonus earning WU's are returned.

20. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I think we might need some uncle_fungus input on this. I seem to recall he used his own passkey when folding for CPChimps. IIRC he explained that it would allow him to be credited with the WUs at some point in the future when Stanford got round to enabling that functionality.

OK with name but still prefer a generic (preferably monkey :D) name. Would make it non-specific to the task at hand and therefore reusable for other purposes in the future.

Friday at noon sounds good to me. We going for two weeks?

Anybody else in?