1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimp's Challenge 2010

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Christopher N. Lew, 26 Feb 2010.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

The EVGA team are already discusing tactics for this year's Chimps Challenge . We probably need to draft a piece for the magazine to reach those members who don't visit this forum.

And, no, I am not volunteering ... :D

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I don't mind writing it if JG's too busy

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Does anybody know when the Chimps Challenge is happening this year?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Usually May the 5th

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Could someone give us newbies the low down on the Chimps challenge?

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

7. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

If its early May I won't be here BUT my Computers will:thumb::thumb::thumb:

8. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

Thanks for the links, CNL. The graph is on the "full graph" tab on here:
    Official Chimp Challenge stats

There were 8 teams, racing to score 20 million points. [H]ard Ape never finished. They were in fourth place when the race was won and people were going onto their forum and making fun of them. So they quit.

9. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

I'm glad we didn't quit and continued it to the end.

10. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

And we'll do it all again this year :)

11. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Cool Chimps Challenge again soon then, CPChimps Cheesecake! lol :rock:

I'm game again if everyone else is and if you need any sort of admin help etc just shout James :thumb:

12. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Might have to give folding a go! Last time I was folding my system was really unstable but my cooling has improved so should be fine to have another go.

13. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

It was a long slog, though. About 8 weeks, if I recall correctly (edit: 7 weeks and a day, about 24 days for the Australians and Russians).

We said last year that there could be some sort of rule change so that the slow teams do not take a couple of months to finish. There could be a fixed time limit, such as "after 20 days it is all over".

I suggest that "after twice the number of days the winner takes, it is all over". Rounded to the nearest day. So, for instance, if the winner finishes on day 9, the race ends on day 18. Any team not finished has a result according to their position at that time.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2010
  14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

I think something like this will have to be done or we will have a repeat of last year when [H] just gave up

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I am going to get every machine I can ready for the challenge this year. I have more hardware available for folding than ever before (even though a lot of it is offline for maintenance or repairs at the moment) so I should be able to make a solid contribution to the CC this year. Count me IN ;)

16. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Does Custom PC & bit-tech actually stand any chance of winning? If not what exactly is the challenge? Maybe I'm being a little defeatist & clearly a bit reluctant to sacrifice 'personal gain' saying this but hell folding is philanthropy in the first place.

Just to add to this little rant the only way I could squeeze out any more science for the project would be to never use either of my rigs for anything other than folding. In other words I've already maximized PPD so the Chimps Challenge isn't going to stimulate any more points from me for the project than I'm already producing.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2010
  17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's just some silly competitive fun that the big teams like to participate in every year :) I'm still flattered that Maximum PC contacted us about it last year! It means they think of us as one of the big guns ;)

We stand a much better chance of winning this year than we did last year, because to the best of my knowledge, he who shall not be named isn't folding for OCN any more, much less throwing a million-point-per-day spanner in our efforts at the CC :hehe:

18. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

I think with all of us combined it looks cool when you see the ppd we can all get under one username and surley is a good advertisment for the team as a whole ...Just a shame a lot have cut back on folding like myself due to high lecky prices .

19. darkorb

darkorb What's a Dremel?

I'd be game for this... adding a couple of new machines before May as well :)

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

As I did last year I will get my card folding for the chimps challenge. Not much, but as they say every little helps.