1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Folding Questions!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Petaflops, 1 Sep 2013.

1. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi Everyone.

I'm buying a new wizzie computer (Horray!) and I thought that I'd start using it to do some folding. I've been reading up on the Forum about it, but I still have a few un-answered questions.

Firstly, is it possible to just fold on your Graphics Card and if so what client would you use? (I want to use my CPU for running Climate Models which is another distributed computer project.)

2. I'm planning on getting Windows 8 Pro as the operating system. Is this OK for folding with or is Windows 7 better supported?

3. I've read else where on the forum that Nvidia 600 series GPU's are not very efficient for folding yet. Has the situation changed yet, as I was proposing to get 2 X GTX670 in SLi?

4. Is folding supported on SLi linked graphics cards or do you have to run them individually?

5. If you have spare PCI-E x16 slots on your motherboard, can you fill those slots with other graphics cards and fold on them also, even if they are not in 2, 3, or 4 SLi? Do they all need to be identical cards?

6. What's this SMP that I keep reading about and what does it stand for? Would it be an idea if someone did a glossary of common folding terms with an explanation of what they mean? That would definitely help new folders like myself.

Any answers gratefully recieved, but please in English and not computer babble!

Many thanks. Pete.

2. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

If you are a noob Folder only use v7, it can Fold on CPU and GPU. However Folding on the GPU will use (one core of) the CPU.

No idea, but as Win8 is just Win7 with a fancy interface I don't foresee an issue.

Yes they are fine.

It doesn't care if they are linked or not, however it will Fold on both, it doesn't treat them as one "big" card.

The bandwidth of the slot is irrelevant to Folding. The cards don't need to be the same but it is advisable for them to be the same "family" unless you want to be endlessly configuring the client.

Symmetric Multiprocessing it just means a CPU/computer with more than one core.

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi Streetsam.

Many thanks for all the useful information. It is sometimes difficult to find the answers to your queries on the forum, especially when there is often a large amount of assumed knowledge being banded about.

Does the V7 client need an actual physical core of the CPU or can it make do with a hyperthreaded core. I'm getting an Intel Haswell i7 4770K with 4 physical cores and 4 hyperthreaded cores, but was hoping to run 4 climate models on the 4 physical cores.

When you are talking about "families" of GPU's do you mean the 600 Series Family ie "Kepler" cards, or do you mean the actual spec of the cards like the GTX 670 family of cards ie same card number but different makes? Can I have my 2 x GTX 670's, a 650, and a 660 in my 4 slot motherboard for example, or do they all need to be 4 x 670's but with only 2 in SLi? (My chosen motherboard supports 4 way crossfire but only 2 way SLi unfortunately.)

What would be better for folding on? 2 x GTX 670 or 2 x GTX 760? Are the 700 series GPU's supported yet?

Thanks. Pete.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2013
  4. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

hi keep to the same family eg 600 or 700 but 2 x GTX 670's, a 650, and a 660 would be fine other than heat keep them well venilated and cool

the 4770k is great for it, it will use either core i have 2 760gtx and uses 25% of the processor eg 2 cores @12.5% each

for my 660 sli i get between 40/50ppd each card
    and 760 sli i get between 50/60ppd each card

5. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Physical cores. You can run four climate models but expect them to run slower (as will the Folding).

Yes. As johnim40 said. Also Folding doesn't care about SLi/Crossfire at all, any PCIe slot with any number of lanes is fine. Cutting the end out of a x1 PCIe slot will work.

670 are faster at Folding than 760, by 10-20kPPD. Use the number of stream processors and their frequency as a rough guide (within the Kepler family)

6. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi John.

Thanks for the information. Does GPU folding use one CPU core per GPU card then? So if I had 4 GPU cards folding in the same machine, it would use 4 out of my 8 cores, or have I got that wrong?

Your GTX 760's seem to produce a lot of PPD. May be I should be getting the 760's instead of the 670's. What do other people think, or is there not much in it? I was going for the 670's as they seen to be good value at the moment as they are slowly being discontinued in favour of the 760. £150 + VAT seems a lot of GPU for the money.

Hi StreetSam

I think my reply to John crossed over with your reply in cyberspace. I think you might have answered some of my latest questions in you last post. Presumably the GTX 660Ti and the 670 are pretty similar folders as they have the same number of Stream Processors per card, and the 760 does less PPD as it has a few less Stream Processors?

Would you run the 660Ti in preference to the 670 as it has a lower power draw, or would they be pretty similar when they are maxed out under folding load? I'm kind of concerned about how much electricty and heat running the machine to the max will have. At least it will have a 3 year warranty!!!:clap:

Cheers. Pete.

7. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Yes there is enough work supporting the GPU to use ~roughly one CPU core/GPU Folding.

See below for GPU PPD/W and PPD/£

650Ti 23000PPD
    64W 359.375PPD/W
    £100 230PPD/£

660Ti 65000PPD
    150W 433.333PPD/W
    £200 325PPD/£

660 43000PPD
    140W 307.142PPD/W
    £150 286.666PPD/£

670 70000PPD
    170W 411.764PPD/W
    £175 400PPD/£

760 60000PPD
    170W 352.941PPD/W
    £200 300PPD/£

Thank you for pointing out how cheap GTX670 are at the moment, I may buy two :clap:

Last edited: 3 Sep 2013
  8. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi StreetSam.

Those are really interesting stats you have there. It looks like the GTX 660Ti and the 670 are the cards of choice at the moment with pretty good PPD/W and PPD/£ ratings.

Interesting that the new GTX760 doesn't do too well on either score, I suppose because price wise it's running a premium at the monment because it is a new range, and because it has less Stream Processors than the 660Ti and the 670 reducing its PPD.

Yes, the 670's are really good value at the moment, some being cheaper than the 660TI's. Where do you usually buy your new kit from? Scan and Overclockers UK or are there cheaper retailers out there?

Cheers. Pete.

9. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Another quick query. I keep reading about "the Marketplace" but can't seem to find out where it is? Can someone help me locate it, as I thought I'd get some older graphics cards and start up some of my old PCs folding. Cheers. Pete.

10. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

I use Scan mostly, because they have stock in when they say they do, their RMA system is good, the price is reasonable and I get free delivery.

11. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I think you need 20+ posts to gain access to the market place.

I would also agree about scan and also use them most of the time. :thumb:

12. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Is the free delivery from Scan available to other people or just some kind of special deal that you are on? I'm going to use Scan for my new PC as I hear good things about them and they offer a 3 year warranty on the computer components which is hard to beat, especially as I intend to thrash the Bol***ks off it running Climate models on the CPU and folding on the GPU's. If it can survive 3 years of that then it will have done very well indeed.

Cheers. Pete.

13. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Anyone with 20 posts in these forums can get free shipping. Go to the forum index and scroll to the bottom. there is a Scan forum down there, and in there is a thread titles something like "Free shipping for bit-tech customers". That will show what you need to do once you have 20 posts.

14. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi Debs.
    Thanks for the useful info. :thumb: Free shipping could certainly come in handy for smaller orders. Cheers.
    Pete.

15. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

its 75 :)

16. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

EDIT: Doh!

Last edited: 4 Sep 2013
  17. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I did say plus. :blush:

:waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah:

:lol::lol:

18. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

So that's 20 + posts to get free shipping from scan, but 75 + posts to get access to the market place?! That seems a bit steep especially as you are more likely to need kit at the beginning. :waah: Is there good stuff available on the market place, and worth striving to get to 75 posts? :sigh:

19. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Another quick question. I've started folding now and am racking up some decent points. However, I have no idea how I go about getting my total points score or other stats, or where we go for the team rankings etc. Can someone steer me in the right direction or give me a web link to where I need to go. Many thanks.
    Pete

20. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder