1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage (Failed) Clone to SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mightybiscuit, 29 Dec 2016.

1. Mightybiscuit

Mightybiscuit What's a Dremel?

So I picked up a shiny new SSD (Crucial MX300 750GB, although MiNiMaL_FuSS paying £14 less has taken the shine off a bit!) and used the bundled Acronis True Image 2015 to clone my boot drive across.

After rebooting there was nothing after the standard BIOS screens, just an empty black screen. I waited for about 5 minutes (with no HDD noise) and checked the code on the mobo "FF" which the manual said was "reserved for future AMI error codes". I tried the power button and nothing happened, so I pressed the reset button on the board itself and it booted into windows as if nothing had happened. Something had happened though, I noticed the SSD now had a 100MB system reserved partition with 29MB on it and a drive letter (G:). The rest of the drive remains unallocated.

So any thoughts on what has happened and where to go from here?

Thanks and happy new year to all bit-techers in advance!

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Boot from your HDD and run a chkdsk against it. Then try the clone again. I've had clones fail with all manner of random reasons which are usually fixed by a chkdsk and a clean shutdown.

3. Mightybiscuit

Mightybiscuit What's a Dremel?

Ran the chkdsk, didn't seem to find anything although I didn't get a good look at the results as it rebooted back into windows.

The other question that prompts is why my BIOS screens always appear on my vertical monitor instead of my primary?

Anyway, tried the clone again and the same bios message appeared. What I did notice is the hdd activity led is on permanently, and also there was a flash of the acronis on my (vertical) monitor and some HDD noises. I guess i must have missed them the first time.

Hit reset (on the case this time) after a longer period of inactivity. Same 29MB written in G: .

Any more ideas?

P.S. all the walkthroughs I've seen mention putting the ssd in a temporary position then moving it after the clone to the same sata port. Is that just so you don't have to change boot order or is it something specific to the drive assignment?