1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rambus wins patent dispute against Nvidia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

"The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office may dispute the ruling though - as it's still yet to determine whether the patents are even valid for Rambus to claim full rights to."

That's the most important part of this topic. If the patents don't turn out to be valid then it's just tomorrows chip paper.

3. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

sounds a bit like patent trolling, and would be bad for all of us if they did win. So I hope the patent office will understand that this will only hurt the customers.

4. samuelmorris

samuelmorris What's a Dremel?

Gigabyte is listed twice :p

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

everyone bitched at Rambus those many years ago when they started their lawsuit.

over the years, it has become clear that Rambus was in fact unfairly treated by nearly all of the competing DRAM manufacturers, who illegally colluded on pricing, and pushed Rambus out of the market.

Rambus in the beginning was a bit cack, but it was new, and needed time to mature.

XDR is some pretty fast and good looking RAM, better than the x2 approach of DDR/DDR2/DDR3.....

6. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Your point is valid, but having said that, XDR is uber expensive compared to DDR. I like the DDR solution because when it gets upgraded, it doesn't cost the house, your kidney and spleen to move up into newer tech. DDR will eventually get to XDR sort of speeds, just gradually. A upgrade in DDR = reasonably expensive, a upgrade in XDR = holywtfzomg uber expensive.

That plus the fact that Rambus hasn't done much to help the CONSUMER desktop Market. If these companies are successfully sued, that would mean Higher Prices.

I don't mean to use this language as ii don't normally but.....

Rambus, go fuc- ureselves

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

At the end of the day its only fair that whoever created the product should get the money for it, if Nvidia etc have been stealing ideas then they should get charged.

Why should get the customer get cheaper products because the supplier hasn't had to pay for the R&D that another company did? Thats basically the same as buying stolen goods.

8. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

They didnt steal a thing though. If you read the article it states all Nvidia GPUs. This includes GPUs before the patent was even filed meaning Rambus is just being patent trolls.

9. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

You are totally misunderstanding the situation. It will only be GPU's produced after the filing that have infringed the patents.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

But isnt most of the series after the filing based off the 7xxx series? which came before the patent? so if its past tech that is built upon those GPUs can't be included since Nvidia has been using that tech before the patent was approved.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

If Nvidia made chips with this tech "before" the patents of Rambus. Would it then be possible for Nvidia to turn things around?

12. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

No as unless Nvidia has a patent based on it, it would basically be prior art which would negate the Rambus patent rather than allow Nvidia to sue Rambus.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep.
    But I hope they lose so that the parts I buy get cheaper.

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

which would be a good thing since Nvidia could get Rambus's patent denied. Would be great to see a patent troll silenced for once.

15. akmo

akmo What's a Dremel?

Rambus is failing...Time and money
    In reality, Rambus needs to work on marketing....Going after ships/chips they cant sink will only make enemys .Do they want to be referd to in the past tense forever? What about the 3rd party venders a dozen companys that manifacture there versions of Nvidia cards? There going to close the book on you Rambus !MORE
    (Im upset I ever bought Rambus ram knowing I funded a lawsuit on nvidia.)
    FUTHERMORE
    Rambus is not a people company at all ,self evident.

About the RAM I would not be surprised to find out this is a ploy to have Nvidia sit down and explain there Technology. Despite the high voltage of both partys ram there arnt that many simularitys Rambus as I remember ran hotter and at slower latencys. I honestley dont think any 1 company walked the same trail on purpose but yet it was the only trail and to logical to pass.So to the reference OF TROLLING I AGREE.

Tags: Add Tags