1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: KNS-01 01-Nov

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kumo, 1 Aug 2006.

1. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Well many of you know about my rack project (if not, go here ). I'm doing it to keep my computers tidy and clean. This is the first machine on my network (KNS-01) and the first one for the rack.

A jump between some post on Bit-tech.net forums, like this or this i was inspired and decided to make a new case for my Shuttle system.

I have a LAN party close in time and with my LAN Raider project on hold (here ) while i get more parts and ideas, a new case was needed. In add, this case will give me enought space for liquid cooling components and others.

[​IMG]
    By the reasons i've said, i have other projects on hold, so i took these hex bases borrowed for this project. I fixed both with screws, cutted, filed and sanded until they matched perfectly. Then i began to make an alu frame.

[​IMG]
    This is the back of the case. The small hole is for ventilation and the big one to pass the shuttle chasis thru. I'm going to use wood (MDF) only in front and back and it will be properly covered when finished.

[​IMG]
    The inside face of back and front, with the angles to support the structure and the chasis. The frontside will has holes also, for buttons and others, but i'll make they later.

[​IMG]
    8 of those 8x8mm ALU square bars wil be the chasis of the upper structure.

[​IMG]
    A teaser of the case. HDs will be in the botton, in a removable plate for easy access. The shuttle chasis in the middle and WC comps in the sides. I have to decide some things, like the location of the DVD (maybe a slim type unit) and others.

[​IMG]
    Glueing the bars as previous step to make the holes precisely. It will be strong for LAN parties ;)

More pics soon. As i've said, this is the first case for my rack project and the shape isn't very common, but i've already thought how i'm going to put that thing on the rack... surprise.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2006
  2. iwhy

iwhy What's a Dremel?

Oh realy nice work with Al profiles. :dremel:
    And of course I like that hexagonal shape is something unconventional

3. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

the problem with alu is heat... dremel, heating alu, burning fingers, summer.... I need air conditioned at home jajaja

4. iwhy

iwhy What's a Dremel?

I cutting it by hacksaw in clamp, but cut isn't realy clean a ovell.
    But you could use this blade
    [​IMG]
    Primary used for cutting wood but I think with Aluminium it could work withou heating.

5. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

It looks like a blade for straight cuts on wood. For alu the tooth need to be smaller, IMO

Thanks anyway. Maybe i'll try the hacksaw. Sometimes i cut it with the jigsaw, but to get a good cut is not always easy.

6. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

My idea of glueing the bars first, didn't work so i've changed the plans.

I've traced lines in the middle of each profile...

[​IMG]

...and then i matched it with the lines in the steel angles. They were fixed with clamps to make the first set of holes.

[​IMG]

The case is pretty strong and still left more screwing work.

A preview:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More things soon.

7. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

More updates.

[​IMG]
    After making the second set of holes the chasis/case (outter shell) is rock solid.

Supports for the shuttle chasis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After align the profiles with the frame, i glued they with araldit epoxi, that is very strong.

[​IMG]
    Watching this forum, cats love mods... is a fact.

[​IMG]
    Get the shuttle chasis there is not easy. I had to cut and sand some sides, because (disapointing) the chasis is larger at the back. I have to paint the chasis well before put it inside the case.

[​IMG]
    The back of the case. You can see my current setup to cool the CPU and GPU. I'll redo it better when the case will be finished. A handle to pull out the case would be nice.

[​IMG]
    At the front, holes to secure the chasis. The front needs work...

[​IMG]
    Some details in the front. Black in the top, the Imon inside reciver module. At the botton...

[​IMG]
    ...My spider logo. i'm re-using it, maybe by the last time. Isn't still glued, but fit perfectly. Once the front will be covered, you only could see the the inner circle and the spider.

[​IMG]
    Behind the spider i'll put one of my MDVA's lite unit. I hope to achive a nice effect.

Comments and ideas are welcome.

More soon!

8. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Looks like a very good start! KUTGW ;)

9. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

I like the idea And make a recessed handle so its seemless. That is my new idea for cases seemless.

10. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Thanks.

KUTGW??

Maybe i'll put a pair of handles at the front like in rack units and one at the back to pull the shuttle, but i'm not going to put handles to carry the case really, because i cand find any nice heavy duty handle here, only the common ones.

To carry the case to LAN, maybe i'll order a custom bag... to my girlfriend, she's a genious with the sewing machine.

One thing i forget, no paint this time. I want to cover the case with vinyl, so i'm making a design with Gimp.

11. John_Edward

John_Edward What's a Dremel?

Keep Up The Good Work, i think.
    And this really looks good :)
    Are you going to put the water cooling inside the case, it looks like there would be enough space ?
    Looking forward for this :]
    You cat is cute btw :3

12. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Yes, the WC will be inside the case. The negative point is that a 240 rad doesn't fit inside, but the temps are ok with de Black Ice 120.

13. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Yes

14. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been busy with the project. But at last some news.

Yesterday i bought some new gear for the case and new items for the armory :)

[​IMG]

Hinges, vinyl, etc... And my copy of your favorite delta sander.

[​IMG]

Come on with the work.

I leave it when i was fixing the MDVA. So i resume it there.

[​IMG]
    The MDVA full unit front bezel used as template for hole drilling.

[​IMG]
    The front. As i previosuly mentioned, when the front will be finished, only the circle will be visible.

[​IMG]
    And the back. The MDVA only uses de 5V line, so less wires to solder, and less mess.

[​IMG]
    ALU profiles to make a variety of pieces. I'm using a lot of profiles in this project.

[​IMG]
    Edges to support the sides. Are fixed with araldit epoxy. Recently i've discovered the Araldit expoxy for metals that is even stronger.

[​IMG]
    The base of the case is made of steel. I hope the steel will be present only there, if not i going to need a truck to move it. To bend the plate without the required tools, i dremeled a channel first.

[​IMG]
    The base in place. The top plate should be like that but in alu, if i can find 1mm alu plates anywhere.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2006
  15. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

The main reason of the lack of updates is because i've changed the design a little. I want a removable HD tray. But in the former desing it wasn't possible. So i began remakin the back pannel small hole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Catch the diference?? I reconstruted the hole with wood, araldit and putty.

[​IMG]
    This is the idea of the docking bay.

[​IMG]
    The plate for the bay has being glued in place with araldit.

[​IMG]
    I've also did a stand for the hd tray

[​IMG]
    Triying to save some weight in every place.

[​IMG]
    The stand is fixed with screws to the base.

[​IMG]
    Profiles added to drive the tray thru.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the HD tray. It's a hacked shuttle tray with a lot of work. I had to reconstruc one side because it has a hole for wiring pass in other project, added profiles, cutted vent holes, added stands off from a Zalman block, etc... In the pic with dummy HDs

[​IMG]
    This is the idea... And the last pic for today. But before a little preview....

Preview 1:
    [​IMG]
    My girlfriend is making a Lan party hex bag for the case.... more to come.

Preview 2:
    Some final scheme designs. I made they with Gimp. Each image are 2 faces of the hex sides. The top and botton will match they more or less.

Design 1
    [​IMG]

Design 2
    [​IMG]

Design 3
    [​IMG]

No paint this time. I want to cover the case with vinyl. The "grey" part is metallic finish vinyl.

Comments are welcome.

More soon.

16. CC-R

CC-R What's a Dremel?

Design 2 :naughty:

17. axscpu

axscpu What's a Dremel?

I like the design Nº2 looks great, althou if you use aluminum sheets for the side panels you won't need the metal vinyl......

18. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

To uniform al colors igoing to use the metallic vinyl. Remember that the base is made of steel. In add to polish all the case is not easy.

19. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Dayumn.. Why didnt I think of this for :D
    KUTGW ;D

20. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I did a little test with the MDVA and the spider etch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?