1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Best board for over clocking i5 4670k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crazymo, 12 Dec 2013.

1. crazymo

crazymo What's a Dremel?

Any suggestions I was thinking of the GigaByte Z87 D3HP.
    Also any suggestions for Ram is 8Gb sufficient for gaming or should I go up to 16GB

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

8GB is certainly sufficient right now, but it depends on pricing on the day you purchase. If 16GB isn't much more you may as well get it. However, another route would be to buy 2x4GB sticks today and add another set at a later date.

As for OC'ing, I personally recommend ASUS' Maximus boards. Rock solid and excellent performance.

3. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Hey buddy. In my experience with a few of the Z87 boards I've used, the board itself doesn't make a huge difference and is largely down to budget and personal preference. While some boards will enable you to get better overclocks due to things like better voltage regulation, the overclock you'll get on your chip is mostly down to the chip itself. What sort of budget did you have in mind, what were you going for style wise, and does it have to be a particular size?

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Agree with Si - assuming you're not looking to wring the life out of your chip with a bleeding-edge overclock, and are just aiming for a nice stable daily speed, then any Z87 board will see you right, so just pick the one with the best reviews in your price point, or if you're after specific features then let those guide your choices.

5. crazymo

crazymo What's a Dremel?

Tks guys budget @100-120 pounds just want modest over clocking with usual features Asus seems to be the best review wise

6. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

ASUS make great boards. You can pickup a good MSI gaming focused-board like the Z87-G45 in your price range if you shop around. I believe Gigabyte has just introduced a modestly priced ATX version of their Z87 Sniper board which is another gaming focused board. You'll struggle to go wrong with it to be honest dude, so don't worry about it too much :D

7. crazymo

crazymo What's a Dremel?

What sort of cooler would you recommend budget @ 40 pounds

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

9. crazymo

crazymo What's a Dremel?

Is it as big as it looks and easy to fit. I have only ever used a stock cooler