1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays This an ok monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceryni, 11 Aug 2014.

1. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Hi guys I'm after a quick answer really because its 2 days until my birthday.

Is this ok for the price?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-S240HL...812&sr=8-5&keywords=pc+monitor#productDetails

My current monitor is broken. Samsung 223BW

Just need one that is budget, has ok colours, fairly reliable and a half decent response time. I'm not a pro gamer but i dont want to be ghosting all over the place.
    This seems to fit the bill.

other alternative: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VE247H...TF8&qid=1407751812&sr=8-4&keywords=pc+monitor

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Personally I'd go for an IPS Panel like this one. Friend of mine has this one and hasn't reported any ghosting issues. Image quality with even cheap IPS like this though is way better than TN for a similar price.

3. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I agree with Yslen. Go for an IPS - the stated response times will be slower than a TN, but I'd be surprised if you'd notice unless you're a CSS LAN pro.

What you can easily notice is the better quality of the panel and colours etc.

4. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

5. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

6. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I would like a matte screen as my desk is near a south facing window!

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Have you considered buying from here.

I think they are Refurbs but come with a 1 year warranty.

Many people here have bought from them and they even have a member here.

NRG

8. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Same here, hence why I've always gone for Dell monitors as they tend to have quite an aggressive matte coating.

Sadly, however, they're all a bit out of budget - i.e. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/238-...ultra-thin-605mm-border-vesa-?ProductId=88807 which is a real beauty.

Having said that, on Scan the Asus VX229H and Iiyama XU2390HS-B1 look to be good value for money. I just haven't used them, or read any good quality reviews so can't comment on how good they are in practice.

I'm confident, however, that they'll be better than any of the TNs.

9. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

10. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

P2414H is a nice screen - it's a bit like the last generation of Ultrasharp Dells. The design is very different to the U2414H, but differs little to the U2212/U2312 designs.

It's aimed at offices rather than home use, but having used one I couldn't tell you what the practical difference is. All in all, it's a very good option.

11. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

narrowed it to the Dell and the AOC

minutes away from "checkout" so, I want to make a decision

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

They had the P2214H in stock this morning:D
    I really don't get their pricing for that particular screen. It inevitably sells out in hours.

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd be buying a Dell to be honest.

My brother in law bought an AOC and it's got red lines down the screen after only a year of use.

14. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Ok thanks everyone!
    Nice to know because I'd like to support a little UK retailer instead of the amazon giant.

95% for the Dell now.

I rang up because I found the same one on ebay, and it looks like I might get it seller refurbished 1yr warranty for about £100. He didn't give me a quote but is going to ring me back. We'll see.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2014
  15. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

16. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

honestly the possibillity of saving £50+ when I'm so pressed for cash is much more tempting(after a chat with gf i realise im pretty damn broke!)
    I might be getting a P2414H for less than £100 after all. Especially if I say I'm from bit tech

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

This ^^

18. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I agree but there is a possibility of completely re-building my PC and buying a 4k a year or 2 from now once im back in work (university atm)

I think this (1-3 year) solution is more suitable given funds, and future possible plans.

also my current broken monitor taking 30mins to turn on because of the faulty power board caps means that for work, i want to be able to turn it on. The sooner i get a working monitor the better basically.

All things said and done, I presume I can say that the P2414H is better than my samsung 223BW? even if it was working?

19. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Yes.

20. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Update:
    So I'm getting the Dell P2414H for £100 delivered to my door. Happy days. My monitor took 45 minutes to start this morning. Tomorrow is going to be a good birthday.