1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Low budget and oldish parts, yet high performance (for games)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 20 Sep 2014.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

The current build I have has served me well for 7 or so years, and it only cost me a few hundred pounds. But it's clear that today I don't just need to upgrade, but (judging by just the minimum requirements of the latest game releases), I think I may as well get a whole new computer, especially as I definitely need to move to a new OS in the near future. I'll show you my current build:

Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLI (this allows a maximum of 8GB RAM)
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 500W
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (not compatible with Direct X 11)
    RAM: 4GB (4x1GB)
    Sound card: Realtek HD
    Disc drive: DVD-R
    Hard drive: 143GB
    Cooling: A couple of stock fans and an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
    Case: No idea.

So a new OS, processor, graphics card, RAM, bigger hard drive, don't know what else. I may as well get a new one completely right? This would also allow me to install Windows 95/98 on that computer, then XP on another partition, and not worry about game incompatibility.

I would say build, but I have no experience of building and would much rather spend a bit of money having someone who knows what they're doing do it. It could be that I just buy the parts and then go to a place and let them build it and get a case or something, just an idea.

Also the native resolution of my big monitor is 1920 x 1080, and my small monitor is 1366 x 768, but I can play at 1024 x 768 or similar with the same ratio as native, I've not noticed a difference beyond unhelpfully smaller text.

So in conclusion, what I'm hoping for is more of the same: Top parts of yesteryear that can still play games for years to come on high/max settings. (For example, as I recall, a Google of the best soundcard gave a resounding answer of Xonar DG, released 2010 and <£25).

Thank you.

Budget: >£400?
    Main uses of intended build: Playing newer games
    Parts required: See above
    Previous build information (list details of parts): See above
    Monitor resolution: 1920 x 1080, 1366 x 768, but not fussed
    Storage requirements: TBs, 2TBs probably best value.
    Will you be overclocking: no
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Don't think so bar 4 or so USB

2. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

You could just drop a 560ti in there and play all games on moderate-high settings, i've had this card for years now and its held up well. Look for the 2gb version if possible, the one 1gb can often be had for around £50 on ebay

4gb of ram is enough for the majority of games, if needed just put another 4gb in.

The Q6600 is a good overlcocker so take it up to 3ghz with a decent cooler

3. oscy

oscy Modder

Maybe, but at some point soon I'm going to need to replace nearly everything anyway. My OS needs changing now, need a bigger hard drive now, need a better processor at some point, more RAM in the future. So I figure it can't cost that much extra to get another computer with all that in, then I won't have to worry about backing up and moving data, reinstalling a game I've been playing for 7 years and hoping I haven't lost everything, or overclocking and figuring out cooling systems, and instead just worry about who's going to build it for me.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Tbh with such a low budget I would go 2nd hand possibly the MP would be a good place to start, or save up some more money.

5. oscy

oscy Modder

Second hand was what I had in mind mainly, except for hard drive and OS, unless someone I know has a free Windows 7/8 disc hanging around.

It's not so much a case of saving money, more that I know I can get good hardware for a low price, like my current computer. What that hardware is, I haven't really researched yet, but I'm starting with this thread for suggestions.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would choose what gen of CPU / Motherboard and put a wanted thread up in the MP and see what people have.

Pretty much anything within the last few gens would do what you want, the GPU is the most important for gaming.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

This exactly. There's a i5-750 for sale in the marketplace for about £40 iirc which will still see you fine for a lot of games - the only issue you might have is finding a LGA1156 motherboard. Otherwise the main consideration, as Tel says, is getting your hands on a decent GPU.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 to GPU.

I went from an i7 2600 to a 760k and I don't notice much of a difference in games.
    Apart from some based on the source engine since the cpu apparently is quite important there (TF2 for example).

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

1155 stuff is very cheap 2nd hand

i5 2500K with a mobo can be done for sub 150 easily.

10. bsp

bsp Minimodder

2nd hand kit suggestion here. Decent systems can be had with a 2500k for under 400! Where are you based?

11. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Look around for a bargain 2nd hand system. A 3470 and 280x system for £320 is doing me very well.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm gonna have to look up all these names and numbers for sure. It's not like when I first looked for parts and it was simply a case of getting the stuff with the highest numbers.

If I find a pre-built PC for cheap I can go for that, then I'd just have to change one or two things rather worry about building from scratch or not.

I'm in Oxfordshire, England.

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Either get something used or build something around the anniversary edition Pentium and a gfx card like the 270x or similar. It gets you up to the latest socket with a super cheap cpu that you can OC or upgrade later on.

and for the love of god, do not, I repeat NOT, install windows 95/98 or even XP unless you have the standalone SP3 exe that you can install before connecting to the internet.

14. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I was thinking this too. Pentium K anniversary. Latest socket. Respectable build for games, with serious upgradability. ~400/500

15. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

I've given family first choice on my old i7 920, but if they're not interested it can be yours for price of postage... not sure how I'd package it though given I suspect I've got rid of the original packaging.

16. oscy

oscy Modder

Wow, thank you, that is very kind of you.