1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I want to write a book. On my phone. Which software to use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cthippo, 30 Aug 2016.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I sometimes have a lot of down time at work and want to do some fairly serious writing as it is often the only time I have available. The problem is that I can't find a good word processor app for Android. The phone (a Samsung S4) came with Polaris Office, but that crashes the phone every time I try to open it. I looked for an Android version of Open / Libre office, but the one I found is like $90 after 2 weeks. I also looked at Google dpcs, but a number of reviews said it tends to choke on large files and randomly crashes, losing work. I would prefer not to use MS Word,.

What else is out there and does any of it work well?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Personally, I'd be tempted to do the writing in plain-text on the phone, then format later on a desktop or laptop. Small phone screens aren't well-suited to WYSIWYG editing, in my opinion, especially without a mouse. As for choking on big files, if you *really* have to use a word processor rather than a text editor then just create a Google Docs file for each chapter. (I know some publishers which request each chapter as a separate file anyway, so you'd be actually saving yourself work!)

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If you're lacking in motivation, you could opt for one of those ones that starts to delete your work if you stop typing for a period of time...

but +1 for avoiding full-on word processors... Word and Google Docs and whatnot work well enough, but on a small screen they can be a bit fiddly...

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ok, I'll give Google Docs a shot. I don't really need a full on word processor, but I'm not sure what there is between the memo programs and the full thing. Also, a spreadsheet program would be nice occasionally.