1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Arc Mini + Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 4 Jun 2012.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

It's finally time for an all new computer, I've picked out what I think I want but I'm not sure if they will get to hot in the Arc Mini/how loud they will be in there.

From my current rig I will be keeping:

• CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
    • GPU - Radeon 7970
    • PSU - Corsair HX650
    • Disk drive
    • Xonar DX

So again, my main concerns are that the Arc Mini can keep all of that cool and that my computer won't be too loud.

Also, I have Scythe Slipstreams I can put in the case (if they would be quieter than the stock fans).

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Sounds like a good build to me - temps should be fine, though you may want to play with fans (I upgraded to Asaka Apaches with PWM) as you tweak heat/noise.

Stonking board by the way :)

3. klutch4891

Thanks for the quick response! Right now I have 5 of the Slipstreams, so I'm thinking of putting 2 up front, 2 in the top, and 1 in the rear. I might buy another one and put it in the floor of the case as well. It will be crowded in there with the NH-D14 and a GPU, but I'm excited for the upgrade.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

5. klutch4891

I'll give it a read. Thanks.

6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I'd put two in the front just to ensure you're pushing air to both the GPU and CPU coolers. You can always use the bundled fan controller to drop the RPM and keep the noise down if you want to.

I find the 120mm Fractal fans that come with the Arc Mini are pretty quiet, the 140 is a bit louder, but still not exactly noisy. Fan noise is quite a personal thing though so I would suggest spinning them up and see how they sound to you.

7. klutch4891

Yeah, I guess I'll just try different setups. What are the temps like in your system? Also, what is your fan setup?

8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I've got a H100 in the top of the Arc Mini as an exhaust with Gentle Typhoon 1450s in place of the stock fans, the two Fractal 120s in the front drawing air in, and the fractal 140 on the side pushing air in over the graphics card. At 100% load my CPU doesn't go over 64 degrees in a fairly warm flat (about 19-20 degrees).

I'm tempted to take the 140 on the side out as I don't fold on the GPU anymore so there is less need to keep it cool.

9. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

great info
    was thinking of getting the design define mini but now getting the arc mini as its cheaper and can get h100 in it.

only single roof fan space in define mini

10. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

donok, I almost went for the Define mini too, but thought the ability for a H100, or even proper watercooling at some point was too good an option to pass up.