1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help! How to find out where "my" website appears in a Google search

Discussion in 'Software' started by Carrie, 9 Jul 2014.

1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

It's not really my website :D
    This is probably in the wrong section :(
    This is probably a "You can't do it" :waah:
    But I'm going to ask it anyway :p

I'm in Google right (not literally) and I type into the search box "UK Car Manufacturers" and it tells me there are 34,900,000 entries to choose from - lucky me! :D

I decide I'm interested in Jaguar :clap: so I add that to the search criteria, press enter and up pops Jaguar's website on the first page.

What I want to find out is: If I hadn't entered Jaguar in the search criteria is there a way to tell which entry # their website would first appear on the list i.e. it was entry # 24,967,145 and I would have had to go through 2,496,715 pages (at 10 entries per page) to get there?

Is it possible, and if so how? Or is it variable each time you search anyway (do they still have an option to pay to promote yourself in the list?)? I don't need it absolutely accurate, a reasonable indication would do.

Any assistance would a greatly appreciated :)

Last edited: 9 Jul 2014
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

are you familiar with SEO? Search engine optimisation - it's how google ranks a page and thus where it appears on the list. I don't know how to answer your question really, but in order to get higher in that list, whoevers website it is needs to make sure their website will score highly for whatever search phrase is being used to find it, and the only way that can happen is with SEO. People get paid loads to seo sites, some are better than others, but there is an art to it.

Its variable as it's different depending on the search terms. Whoever's site it is, needs to work out which search phrases they want to appear near the top for, and then they need to seo the content to ensure for those search terms they come out near the top.

3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Thanks for the post Margo. I'm only slightly familiar with SEOs. I was hoping to be able to get an indication before having to go down that route/expense.

BTW, stop trying to confuse me - first you're Margo Baggins, then you're Margon, now Margo's back again! or am I going nuts :worried:

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Margon was just a fleeting memory :D

I'm not sure how you get the answer to the question - I would ask my web boss but he is off all this week so I won't catch up with him until tuesday next week, but that's firmly his domain (excuse pun).

Lemme ask some web people, I work with tons.

5. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Thanks for the offer, and the info, but I'm sorted now :thumb:

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Just out of interest what did you come up with? I'm curious for myself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I'm afraid my approach is unlikely to help you. :(

I took the "I checked key word searches and it didn't appear in the first [X] pages. You need to sort it so it does!" approach :hehe: Well it's not my job to :p

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

My company does SEO reports pretty inexpensively for this sort of thing. PM me if you're interested.