1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment PC Build For Photo Editing.

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by myriagon, 9 Feb 2012.

1. myriagon

myriagon I Like Emulating

I want to know what you think would be a great build for a photo editing pc.
    must have a usb 3.0 port

The budget is £700 and no screen or peripherals needed.

Processor:
    Motherboard:
    RAM:
    Case:
    HD/SSD:
    Coolers:

And a brief description on why. Thanks!

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Well, assuming you're using Photoshop, Lightroom, GiMP or something similar, the parts KidMod picked out will work well. Lots of RAM and disk space for large image files, SSD as either a primary (operating system) or scratch disk and a case to stop the cat using the parts as an expensive bed.

The only thing I'd add is that if you're not using a tablet, then a mouse with on-the-fly DPI adjustment is great for detail work (should you not already have one.)

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Based on my experience, lots of RAM and an SSD HDD, even if the drive is smaller capacity, you should be storing your files off-system anyway.

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Get lots of RAM. Then, get some more. And when you think you have enough, get 1 or 2GB more.

And then add an extra GB or two for good measure.

eddie_dane likes this.
  7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Don't forget to budget for one of these.

You can't properly edit images with a mouse. No finesse, no pressure sensitivity.

Any reasonably powerful CPU will do, but if you are working with truly massive files, like 1200DPI scans from 5x4 film, then a gulftown or SB-E rig would be of use to you. Otherwise, the above recommended i7-2500K will be ideal, especially if overclocked.

I'd say 16GB minimum for serious work. A SSD for a scratch disk would be nice, but unless you are working on massive files, having 16GB or more will mean your scratch disk usage is usually pretty low anyway.

No need for a powerful GPU unless you want to game on the machine as well, but if you have a 2560x1600 screen, or maybe more than one, video memory is crucial. You don't mention what monitor you have, but if it's 1920x1200 or higher then at least 1GB of VRAM will make things smoother. If your res is lower than that, then any recent low to mid range card will do just fine. If you are less than 1920x1080 can I suggest you also need to upgrade your screen if you're serious.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Speaking of Wacom, today I will be mostly using the Bamboo because I couldn't convince work to buy me a Cintiq.

9. Pookeyhead

Cintiq's a gimmick. You wouldn't ever really want to work on a screen so small would you? Pointless... a large Intuos would be better, and cheaper.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Sorry Pook but I heartily disagree - it's akin to saying you can't take proper pictures with a crop sensor camera, which you know only too well is nonsense. :p

I bought an Intuos3 A4 because somebody said what you said - it's the "best" for X, Y, Z application - and eventually sold it because I HATED using it in Photoshop; it felt very unnatural and I found that I was a lot more productive with a mouse, especially over two monitors and using several different applications at the same time.

IMO a tablet cannot be beaten when it comes to actual drawing and the like, but for image editing/general post processing, it's personal preference.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It should be noted that there is a small difference between adjusting the sliders in in the Levels and crop tools, and using a tablet to "draw" on the image (e.g. selective burning/dodging, painting, selecting). I don't think Myriagon ever indicated the type or quantity of image processing he or she intends to do.

If all you're doing is cropping, slight levels adjustment, and running the sharpening filter, then perhaps LennyRys is right in that you don't really need a tablet. If you plan to do more intensive manipulation, then perhaps Pook is correct that a tablet is a better option.

I split the difference and use both. :)

12. Pookeyhead

It's nothing like the same. With a crop sensor camera, you perform the same action, in the same way as you would with a full frame camera. With a pen and tablet you are DRAWING! You can't draw with a mouse.

Obviously, we have different ideas of what image editing is. Dragging a slider, or clicking points with polygonal lasso tool or clone tool are one thing, but delicate airbrushing is impossible with a mouse if you want a high professional standard. It just is.

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Although I agree in principle (I love my Wacom tablet for the capabilities it provides), I would argue that it's perfectly possible to draw using a mouse - it just requires a different technique. As much as I love my tablet, I've seen some pretty impressive drawings done entirely with a mouse.

14. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

I have to say the asus maximus seems to be not what you would want better to get a much much cheaper motherboard and increase ur ram a lot i think ?

15. myriagon

myriagon I Like Emulating

I have a hp2009v screen. its 1600x900
    I forgot to mention that i dont need a case. I like kid-mods suggestions. Thats a pretty good build for the price. I'm impressed.
    Im glad i didnt just go ahead and do it. I would have bought an expensive graphics card too thinking they were interconnected.

And to solve conflict. I prefer a mouse. Im using Lightroom 4 beta :D