1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice System keeps restarting, not sure how to fix this!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ashymore, 8 Sep 2012.

1. Ashymore

Ashymore What's a Dremel?

I recently purchased all the parts to my PC online, and as always built it up (just to clarify I have done this before, yet it worked, however this was 7 years ago).

Yet even with bare minimals on the PC build, it refuses to do anything, other than turn on, followed by turning itself off after a few seconds, it does this even when there is nothing on the motherboard other than the PSU.
    I have stripped it all down and re-seatted all the hardware, including the CPU, sockets etc, and I can't see any shorting from the motherboard onto the case. I have tried two different PSUs and plugs (even in different wall sockets) however I just can't route out the issue, so I uploaded these photos and video, and came onto the trusty bit-tech website hoping someone with a trained eye can see what I'm missing, could even be something basic that I'm looking past! lol!

An-advanced please and thankyou for anyone that attempts to help me here!
    need this sorted quick though as my Uni course starts again next month

Last edited: 26 Mar 2013
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

What 2 PSU's did you use, I can see there is an ace currently in there.

Have you tested the PSU's for a short while by connecting the green wire to an earth (black) wire with a paperclip to see how long they stay on?

Have you tried disconnecting the case connectors (power etc) and using a something metal to touch the 2 power pins to see if it switches on, could be a short in one of the switches.

3. Ashymore

I got two of the same PSUs (long story)

I'll try using something to connect the two power pins, but how do you go about testing the green to black wires? And is it safe?

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Are you 100% certain the CPU cooler seated correctly?

5. Ashymore

I'm definitely 100% sure it's all seated properly

6. Ashymore

The video is on:

Sorry it didn't upload to that last site :s

Last edited: 26 Mar 2013
  7. narwen

narwen narwen

is it sandy bridge or ivy bridge

8. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Is the CPU cooler plugged in to the correct header? If not most MB will shut off the computer to ensure that it does not overheat due to no cooler being connected. That what it sounds like to me.

9. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I had the exact same thing happen to me with the motherboard in my sig. It was a faulty motherboard. I RMA'd it and the replacement worked perfectly.

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. Ashymore

its definitely in the right place, its labelled on the motherboard and the fan turns on

11. Ashymore

yeah this is mainly what i thought would be the case, if theres no other fix, i'll return it.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If you haven't tried it yet, try resetting the BIOS. If that doesn't work take the motherboard out of the case, try re-seating the CPU and RAM and try running it just on your table top.
    It sounds like some bit of the hardware is bad, but it'll be tough to pin it down to one thing without spare, known good, components to test with.

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. narwen

narwen narwen

if its an ivy bridge CPU the bios probably needs flashing

14. Ashymore

the PC doesnt even load, it just starts up, as soon as the fan is running at a reasonable speed it shutd down again, not even a bleep code to be heard

15. Ashymore

I have tried this, but nothing changes, it still keeps crashing and rebooting

16. Ashymore

OK, as an update I have tried the PSU check, green to black wire test, nothing is wrong there, the PSU is 100% working.
    I have also tried connecting the power connectors on the motherboard with a screwdriver, thats where the issue is, because it turns on, then after a second straight back off, I don't see anything onscreen because there simply isn't enough system boot time.

So does this conclude the motherboard just needs returning?