1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Confirmation sought on upgrade options for an HP Notebook DM1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Porkins' Wingman, 1 Dec 2016.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've just stuck 525gb SSD in an aged HP DM1 notebook, and while it has made a difference to things, it's still sluggish in certain respects, so I'm interested in upgrading the CPU and RAM too, if options exist and at sensible prices.

It's an HP Notebook DM1 - 1102sa.

CPU
    According to CPU-Z, the current CPU is an Intel Celeron SU2300, and the mobo is an HP 3663, with an Intel GS45 chipset (Rev. 07) and Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) - I have no idea whether this Southbridge stuff is relevant, so am listing it just in case.

So according to this page: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/GS45_Express.html, the best CPU I can hope to upgrade to is the SP9600 - am I right here?

RAM
    According to CPU-Z, the current RAM installed is 2 x 1gb 400mhz DDR3, and according to Mr. Memory, only one slot is user accessible, allowing up to 5gb (1 x1gb + 1 x 4gb). Crucial's compatible upgrades checker tells me I can stick a 4gb DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V in there.

I think I'm right, but would be grateful if someone more used to doing this sort of thing can check things easily. Ta muchly.

Also, is there any point in considering a new mobo for this notebook?

Last edited: 1 Dec 2016
  2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Just had a quick look for pics of the motherboard in that HP and it looks like the CPU is soldered onto the board and not user replaceable sorry.

The service guide confirms that you can take it to 5GB of RAM too.

The RAM may help a bit but that CPU will hold it back a lot. You could install the 580000-001 motherboard and 580059-001 heatsink assembly from a HP Mini 311 to give you a single core 1.66GHz Atom and NVidia Ion graphics but it's probably more of a sidegrade than anything else.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2016
  3. Porkins' Wingman

Aah man, that's a kicker. I wasn't aware that CPUs got soldered on - seems like an unnecessarily restrictive and daft thing to do. Thanks so much for the heads up, lancer.

So is there no prospect of 'unsoldering' it and replacing?

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'm going to answer that question with a youtube video:

5. Porkins' Wingman

I saw your reply and thought, "Oh, obviously not, cue funny video of someone failing hard".

I then watched the video and started thinking, "Well... this guy kinda makes it look like he knows what he's doing. There's no way I'm gonna go through all this, but it's interesting to see".

I then got to the end and didn't quite know what to make of it, but I'm guessing it didn't work.

Thanks for posting, lancer.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

No probs, sorry you didn't get the answer you were hoping for. To be honest, I do love replacing a smelleron with something decent but since most if not all cheap laptops these days are BGA, its not really doable anymore.