1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Project Gunner: CNC done, back to the case design (2/19/2016)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GCOFIELDD, 5 Nov 2010.

1. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

First off, I would like to start this thread by saying thank you to everyone here. For the past few months I have been reading and looking at people’s work on this forum and it is amazing what everyone is doing. Thank you for the ideas and the information that is shared without a second thought.
    The initial reason I started thinking about designing my own case was because I could not find what I was looking for—quality or functionality (water cooling). I realized the design was going to take some time, so I went ahead and bought a TJ07; it's a great case, but I want to make my own.
    When I first started working on the design, I thought this was an original idea. I didn’t realize there was a whole group of people out there doing this.

Here are a few pictures of the design as it has progressed:
    [​IMG]

The picture above was my first attempt, but I realized it was not going to work so I scraped it.

The following pictures are the beginning of my new design:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently my plan is to use an SR-2 motherboard, have three separate cooling loops, with three radiators, three reservoirs (Aquatube G ¼), and three pumps. I would like to put in dedicated LCDs for temperature monitoring like one of the murder mod cases. I am trying to figure out how to use aqua computer’s Aquaero to monitor three pumps (pretty sure it works great for two pumps, but not sure about three). I am not sure if I want to use the aqua computer aquastream XT or use the Laing DDC-Pump; if I use the Laing I have to use the aquacomputer poweradjust (not sure how that will work with more than two pumps either or what happens if I need to have two poweradjusts in the same computer (software issues?). Other than that I need to work on layout of the inside of the case and styling of the front panel of the case. I am also planning on trying to design my own hot swap drive bays with custom back planes and make the motherboard tray removable without disconnecting cables (got the idea from craigbru in Project: OSIDIAS) by using contact terminals; this also means I will have to do my own PCB layout, which is totally new to me. So, this one is going to take a while due to money and developing the needed skills, but if you have any suggestions or design ideas please let me know because I need the help. Also, please let me know if you know anything about Aquacomputer’s monitoring and control hardware/software—I am struggling with it.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2011
  2. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Remember to make the loops easy to fill and drain otherwise you will dread changing the water. I use a bit of silver wire coiled up and placed in the return pipe to stop growth of algae in the water, works very well and I can run just pure water.
    Not sure about the fans sucking air from inside the case, your components will heat it so you wont get the best temps.
    Best of luck!

3. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Thanks for the tip about the water loop! I am going to try and give outside access to the reservoirs.

The fans are actually pulling the air through the radiators and exhausting inside the case, hopefully it will work well.

4. Paradox42

Paradox42 What's a Dremel?

Nice design, looks very unique, and come on, you can't go wrong with three watercooling loops!

5. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Thanks Paradox42, I have been working on it for a few months now. I am hoping to finish the design work in about 3 more months and start working on the drawings, so I can send it out to fab. I might just drop down to two water loops so I can finish quicker or maybe just not worry about monitoring the third loop.

6. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Progress 11/7/2010

I have been working on the design for the past couple of days (had Friday off) and I think I have finally figured out the motherboard IO…it was a pain in the a**. When I make the motherboard IO panel and verify it works I will post up the drawings for it. I have never seen a real set of drawings for one. There is an AutoCAD sketch posted on the forum but it is a little bit off. Here are the pics from the work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like. -Gonna need wheels though.:hehe:
    You certainly will not be able to cradle carry it and walk through a doorway.

8. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Hmm, hadn't really thought that part through. It’s a pig...hopefully I will not have to move it after it is built :worried:

9. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I went shopping and it turns out I have a large supplier of computer parts in my backyard :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose the aquastream XT USB Ultras because of the monitoring and control features, reliability, and cost. The Laing DDC 3.25 is initially cheaper but after adding a new top into the equation the price exceeds the cost of the aquastream.

More stuff is on the way from Germany :)

10. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

So I finally got the parts I ordered from AquaComputer; I am a little disappointed. The packaging was not as good as it needed to be for international freight. One of the copper aquatubes, which are stupid expensive, has a small dent on the side where it was dropped or banged or something, also all three of them have small spots of corrosion on them, which means I will have to buff them out and clear coat them. I may be wrong, but I thought they came clear coated from the factory. And finally, they did not ship me the right parts; instead of temperature sensors they sent me flow sensors. I will have to contact them and see what can be done :wallbash:. Here are some pics of the parts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is still some cool stuff, but I have high expectations when I spend that amount of money on parts.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The first pic somewhat reminds me of a desktop mac

The second one is cool too :)

12. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

13. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

You are right, the mac was my inspiration for the first design, but the second one is all mine :D. It is still changing, but will look very similar to what I have posted up now. I am going to post some more pictures when I get more noticeable changes incorporated.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2011
  14. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

15. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  16. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Thanks man :)

This project has taken a life of its own. I am going to setup a workshop in my garage, but that means I need to get a mill, lathe, and sheet metal break to really get started. I have been researching milling machines and it seems like all the bench top mills are made in China and the quality is not that great. I am either going to get a Grizzly or get an old Rotex knee mill, but they are hard to find. The old American bench top mills have become very popular with enthusiast and are going up in price.

17. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Design Update

I had a little time to work on the design and here is what I was thinking for the hard drive mounting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem with this idea is that I am going to run into problems with tolerance stack up. The dove tail groves cut into the plates mounted to the side of the case will move in or out based on how accurately the side panels of the case are made and the two middle cross members; this will cause interference when trying to slide the hard drive trays in…I really like the way this looks though, so I am going to have to figure out how to make it work. Also, by making one big side panel I have driven the cost of fabrication way up. It sucks bringing reality into design :wallbash:

18. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

A little more work

I did a little work on the design last night and this is what I came up with. I am mounting the hard drive trays in channels, which also double for 5.25 drive mounts with some adapting. I got rid of the top bend/jog in the side panel; I didn’t think it looked good, plus it would have made making the side panels very expensive due to the difficulty maintaining a descent tolerance with all those bends.

I am not sure how I feel about my front dive bay covers…I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas on how to change it to look cooler?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

A little perspective

I put my current chassis design next to a TJ07 (the computer I have now) to see how big it was and I think things have gotten out of hand :eyebrow:. I am going to try and arrange things better and shrink the design. The first step is redoing the hard drive mount so the back of the drives face the mother board tray. Here is what I have so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to add some sort of feature to retain the drives and dampen vibration.

20. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

Hard drive cage

I have almost finished the design of the new hard drive cage. I just need to put in the fasteners and figure out the back plane.

Does anyone have a spec sheet that defines the location of the SATA connector on the back of a hard drive; that would help with the back plane?

Here are some pics of the work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions