1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling d5 vario with lamptron fc5 v2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirky90, 14 Apr 2012.

1. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

hi guys looking for some advice again.

I am thinking of using one of the channels on a lc5 v2 to control the speed of the d5, I know that the fan controller can output he required power (at the required voltage and current)

I have read in some places that undervolting can damage the pump, is this true??
    I am sure i found a thread somewhere that it has been done and there was a lot of discussion, i have not been able to find it which is poop.

if anyone has done this or has opinion or that can point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

rob:thumb::thumb:

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I dont think changing the input voltage affects the RPM of the pump.

Might be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that over on XS somewhere :thumb:

3. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

cheers I will check that out. if I can find it.......

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Isn't using a fan controller the same thing as using the potentiometer on the pump to vary the voltage?

5. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

yea that's what I thought so a drop in current from the fan controller should reduce the speed of the pump.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

One risk I could think of would be to have insufficient power to the pump on start up. I noticed that when I used a fan controller with a Phobya DC12-400 it would need slightly more voltage to start up than using a 7v resistor instead.

I'll be interested if it works OK.

7. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

hmm, im gunna have both so i will experiment and see how it goes i guess.

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

The pot doesn't vary the voltage of the pump; the pot varies the voltage in a control loop on an IC that varies the RPM - I'm not big on motor controllers, but direct resistive control is very much an old school activity.

Yes it will work; just don't give the pump too little power, I believe the voltage input for the D5 is 9-24V but check that out yourself as I'm working on memory here. If you go below the minimum you will be running the risk of cumulative damage to your pump.

Just checked.

Lang D5 will work from 8-24V

There are some sites that say 6-24V, but the manufacturers specs are 8-24V.