1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Broadband is to pricey. Anyone know any deals?

Discussion in 'General' started by Otis1337, 8 Mar 2014.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So im looking for cheaper broadband.

Iv been with virgin from the NTL days and was originally paying about £15 a month all in, but as minimum speeds got faster and virgins take over prices went up.

Currently the slowest speed and cheapest you can get with virgin is Unlimited 30mb (soon to get a "free" upgrade to 50mb this spring) at £25 a month.
    I dont need all this speed.... id be happy with 20mb.

I cant see ANY cheap broadband with slower speeds. There prices are marked up as £15 a month which looks great until you look at line rental which is £15-16 a month which makes it a worse deal than what i have now as im on unlimited soon to be 50mb fiber.

Is there any killer deals im missing out on at all?
    No phone lines, no TV packages.

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you go with BT fibre, plus net etc you need line rental, i think its only virgin that don't require BT line rental unfortunately.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Cheapest is probably Talktalk (undisclosed speed, allegedly unlimited usage) at 2.50 a month + the 15 a month line rental.

Anyway, what I would do is phone up Virgin Media, threaten to cancel then see if they offer you a rebate to keep you with them.

All ISPs charge line rental, you can get around it by having broadband only from Virgin media, but they just charge more for the broadband, so it ends up at the same cost as with line rental.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Yeah, mite have to give them a call Monday and lie about thinking of switching, see what they say.

Iv heard people getting 30% knocked off doing so.

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

It's worth a quick phone call, if you don't ask you never know. At the ed of the day they can only say no.

6. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Mention other deals to get them to match.

I've been with sky since they bought O2- paid £140 annual line rental for the year with free broadband at 15Mb.

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

No deals that I know of. But just some friendly advice; no matter how cheap talk talk seem to be, don't use them. Their customer service is absolutely abysmal. You will have a problem at some point and they are impossible to deal with; some of them are rude and some are useless, some are both.

I used talk talk for a while about 4 years ago. I had phone for about 3 months and no broadband because they somehow didn't manage to get 2 routers to me. It wasn't royal mail, it was them. And when I called them up to cancel my service, they'd never heard of me! I got three months of phone for nothing in the end because they lost my details.

But not being completely biased, some people use them and like them. But they have won several awards for having absolutely terrible service. I'm sure theres a reason for that.

8. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

I use quidco and topcashback and move from virgin media to another provider depending entirely on cost per month minus cashback deal.

Iv had issues with all suppliers at some stage. just a case of asking for money taken off bill and hoping they can sort it.

last week my internet was out for 3-4 days and next month bill is now paid by virgin media.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Sky are doing £20.40 per month for Unlimited BB and line rental for 12 months at the moment.
    Jumps up to £25.40 after 12 months.

10. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I just asked and told them of competitive offers. Got BT infinity 2 for under £20/month which is £18 cheaper then last year. I also had a new line installed, home hub 5 and calls totaling over £200 in this months bill nearly completely subsidised this month just by talking to their customer services.

11. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Virgin take the p~ss with its price rises

its not like they put it by a few pence it always a quid or more.

last Nov they put it up (yet again) by £3 for my services (phone line that I never used, TV that I hardly use and net.)

so I rang them and ditched the TV and phone an saved over 20 quid a month but guess what
    LOL they put the price of the broadband up in Feb by £2.50 a month

2 prices rises in 5 months.

12. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I'm paying £27.50 a month for broadband from Virgin. Was originally 10Mb that was boosted to 20Mb then another free boost to 30Mb. Had issues last year which caused them to give me a £5 retention discount and an upgrade to 60Mb to bring the package in line with new customers, then this month I got a free speed upgrade to 100Mb. I could save £5 if I paid direct debit too.

Everyone has put prices up. Just call them up, select the option to leave Virgin media then you'll speak to the nice people in Manchester retentions who will do everything that can to make you stay.

(I don't need the 100Mb speed really but the extra upload speed is most welcome even if it's only 7Mb)

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I currently owe Virgin £280 and think our package is currently at £60 a month when we only signed up for £35 not had the service for like 5 months but going to pay the bill tomorrow it's bloody ridiculous!

Don't you need to buy your contract out to leave Virgin?

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It's unlimited. Last time I read the contract it was subject to a fair usage policy wrt to speed on thing like p2p, but tbh I've never seen mine restricted. They've had their moments when the service has s**t itself - generally when someone's stolen something out of an openreach box - but generally the service is no worse than the guys on TS who use virgin. Just slower.

Customer service is pants, but then I think most are.

15. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Come to Brazil if you think you broadband is expensive. Here a 10mb connection will set you back about £40 a month, and the reliability is piss poor (it rains and the connection goes).

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I'm currently investigating/considering getting a sim card from Three and tethering to a suitable hub. All-you-can-eat data plans can be had for £12.90 with no line rental (screw you BT!). If you live in a 4G area I've read that you can get 100mbps through it too but even if not 3G might be sufficent.

I think this is the future.

17. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Three stopped doing tethering as part of AYCE deals in the last month or so.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You should be able to get 12-18mb for less than £20 a month I would have thought.

£15 line rental (or less if paid annually, down to £12 or so)
    Several companies then offer <=£5 broadband packages.
    For example:
    http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

As far as I'm aware something like the Unlimited Broadband and Calls package would be suitable?

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

You've got to be kidding me! FFS!

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You could never tether on the £12.90 deal.