1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V 5.1 sound from computer to receiver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rofl_Waffle, 10 May 2014.

1. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I have done some internet searching and still oblivious.

I want to get 5.1 audio from my computer to my receiver. Coaxial or Optical can't carry a 5.1 signal so that is not happening.

I tried to use my GFX card but ran into a huge issue. My card detects my receiver as a display and puts my desktop into dual screen mode. I can't plug my monitor into the receiver, otherwise it drops down to 1080P. I can't disable the display either, because the sound goes with it.

I am currently running my desktop in dual screen mode... without the second screen.

I was thinking of buying an HDMI sound card but the only one is the ASUS HDAV which was made in 2010 and not in production anymore. I can find it for $150 on ebay, but that doesn't seem like a good deal.

This is my receiver.

http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/AVR-700/AVR 700_HK_US

Is there a way to do HDMI through my video card and not deal with the display portion? Can the receiver take analog IN? I have no idea.

2. Strudul

Strudul ~

I'm kinda confused but I'll give it a shot.

Have you tried setting the desktop to only show on one display?

Windows 8 screenie (pretty sure 7 is the same, can't remember on XP, but I think you replicate it in the graphics drivers):
    [​IMG]

Should mean the receiver stays enabled and can function, without trying to act as a second screen.

Alternatively you could try setting the receiver to just mirror (duplicate) the desktop, at which point it shouldn't make any difference that you are in dual-screen mode.

Last edited: 10 May 2014
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Unless you want to stream HD audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, then this is untrue.

See Wikipedia link

4. Rofl_Waffle

When I "Show desktop only on display 1". What that does is disable the port entirely.

Cox/Optical doesn't have the bandwidth to carry an uncompressed 5.1 signal. It can do some compressed DD/DTS when it is available. The compressed dolby codecs sounds only slightly better than simulated surround.

Anyone know of a cheap receiver with 5.1 analog?

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I wouldn't agree with this, but that is besides the point.

If you want Dolby TrueHD your only option is HDMI. The AVR 700 doesn't have multichannel analogue inputs.

If the HDMI passthrough on the receiver wont let you have resolutions over 1080p then the only option is to effectively have the receiver as a dummy second active display like you are already doing.

As far as I know HDMI cannot handle just audio. Even HDMI sound cards would seem to act as a passthrough for the video from the graphics card, which wouldn't help matters.

EDIT: Really bad typo :)

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

It all really depends on where you are getting your content from. While the base dolby digital codec sucks a bit (I don't mind it, personally), full bitrate (1.5mbit/s) DTS and Dolby digital plus (6mbit/s) have great sound quality and work perfectly over either coax or TOSLINK. If your watching from an actual blueray disc, it should have multiple audio streams available.

Make sure you're using AC3 filter and select "Use SPDIF (passthrough)". Your receiver should have some indicator that it's decoding a DTS or a DD+ signal (mine has a blue LED that goes on); if you don't see any indicator, then all you're getting is a downconverted 2.0 signal and your receiver is making fake 5.1

In any event don't try to output discreet analogue unless you have a really good soundcard.

7. Strudul

Strudul ~

And what about...

8. Rofl_Waffle

Duplicate display forces both monitors to run at the same resolution. My monitor will have to drop down to 1080P to match the receiver.

Im running a dummy screen right now. I placed the screen from corner to corner. That way, my mouse cant travel to the second screen at all. I dont think running a second screen at 480p has a noticable impact on performance.

Thanks for the help. I guess i will look out for a receiver with analog input under $500, or wait for an HDMI sound card.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It seems like at least some 4k compatible receivers with hdmi passthrough will work with resolutions over 1080p but sub-4k: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522004/1440p-through-the-recievers-hdmi

They're actual fairly standard and cheap(ymmv) these days:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V475-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00B981F2O (the one mentioned in the thread)

It would probably be a better, cheaper and more easily available option than finding one with analogue inputs and using an external decoder.

Like I said I'm not sure an HDMI sound card would help matters. I think they basically act as a video passthrough too and not as an audio only hdmi output.

10. Strudul

Strudul ~

I believe UltraMon can be used to duplicate a display, whilst allowing it to run at a different resolution.