1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches G-T16R embedded APU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 25 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

If someone did put this on a Rpi a like and gave it 2 gig nic's it would be an awesome base for a pfsense box.
    Alas that will never happen.

3. b1candy

b1candy What's a Dremel?

Chip has less power because it's not a SoC. So what's the chipset power draw, eh?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

hmm good point. i'd also like to know how it performs in comparison.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eermmm... The Geode isn't an SoC either, which is what AMD is comparing it to...

6. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Boioioioing. Do want.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Will have to do an awful lot to beat or equal the Pi - like getting a complete SBC out for $35. I doubt the chip will even be that cheap.

To be honest, I think it will take an awful lot to beat the Pi's achievements. Even if a manufacturer somehow manages to get their price down to the same sort of level, they'll have to do a lot of work on the software side to equal the amount of developer attention on the Pi; the foundation themselves might not be able to put out vast amounts of code, but the developers for the Pi are legion.

Comparisons with the Pi aside, it still looks like an impressive achievement. I looked into Geode-based SBCs a while back, but the boards were really expensive. It's good to have the option of an x86-based embedded SBC out there.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes and no. I mean, the Pi is unlikely to be beaten on price any time soon - unless someone chooses an even older SoC, or a company takes a major loss somewhere in the chain - but I think people would be willing to pay a premium for x86 support. The ARMv6 instruction set of the current-generation Pi limits it quite a lot: it cuts the number of operating systems available down a great deal, and the effect on the client software is even more pronounced. A Cortex-based version would help, but an x86 equivalent with support for any Linux/BSD/whatever release as well as Windows and a graphics unit with ready-built drivers for 2D and 3D acceleration? Price it anywhere below $100 and it'd sell like hotcakes.

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm going to be a pedant and object to your use of "mm squared" - either use the superscript (mm2) or use "square millimetres". 890mm squared describes a square with sides of 890mm, i.e. 890mm x 890mm or 792,100mm2, which would be a mighty big chunk of silicon.

10. Gareth Halfacree

And I'm going to be a pedant and point out that the measurements were copied and pasted directly from AMD's press release. If it's good enough for AMD... (But yes, you're right - it should really be square millimetres, not millimetres squared.)

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012
  11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

If it's good enough for AMD...it's still wrong :-D

Maybe AMD has had to cutback on the people who sense check their press releases, because that's a pretty basic, if minor, error. Yes you can divine the meaning with a bit of common sense, but that doesn't really make it ok. If a news report said that an area 100 miles square had been affected by, say, flooding or forest fires, that a massively bigger problem than an area of 100 square miles.

Tags: Add Tags