1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Opposite sided case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DatenThielt, 2 Aug 2011.

1. DatenThielt

DatenThielt What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I need to get a new case, Reason are that the people who created my PC Desk decided it would be good to put the PC right up against a wall, on the side that most common PC's vent, And my PC quite simply is overheating. So I have decided to hunt for a PC that has the fans on the opposite side, Can anyone give me some suggestions, I have only seen one review on BT for an opposite vented case. Thank you.

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

unless your vent is literally right up against the wall, it will get enough air in/out...can you not adjust the desk away from the wall an inch?

anyway, never heard of an opposite vented case either, as that would essentially require the back of a case to be on the front, or arrange the mobo upside down, which would be moronic...

Last edited: 2 Aug 2011
  3. DatenThielt

4. trig

what case are you currently using? are there any front and/or top intakes?

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Aren't BTX cases that way round?
    A BTX case
    I'm not recommending that case by the way,I know nothing about it, it was just an image to highlight the motherboard mounted on the other side. Assuming I understood what you were after?

EDIT: Fitting a MATX board or ATX may prove very tricky though. Ignore me.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

7. DatenThielt

Thank you dancingbear84, Your compleetly correct , and just what I am after

Wikified
    The BTX form factor motherboards are incompatible with most of the ATX form factor cases and vice-versa. In particular, BTX motherboards are 'flipped' compared to ATX and mount on the opposite side of the case. Some cases such as the Cooler Master Series (Stackers) support a varying range of motherboard types such as ATX, BTX, Mini-ATX and so forth. However, all connectors are compatible, including power supplies, PCI cards, processors, RAM, hard drives, etc.

8. DatenThielt

Looks like BTX cases are pretty much dead, Unless you go back 4 years, Maybe I will look at a roof exhaust PC :D

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I still don't get what "side" you are talking about. The rear ? Fans on the side panel are irrelevant, even considered harmful for airflow of the case.

10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The OP wants the mobo to me mounted on the left when viewed from the front.

You could add a roof vent easily or replace your fans with better models potential, also adding intake and outlet fans (if you don't already) will help

11. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

in both ATX and BTX cases, air is taken from the front and exhausted out the back/top. Therefore, both cases will have the same problem for the OP?

The only way I can see there being a problem with the desk is if the case is in a cupboard and in that case no PC would be particularly suitable.

12. trig

hasn't btx just come down to meaning psu bottom-mounted these days since intel never really went with that specification?

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I too have trouble understanding what the OP is looking for. Almost all cases are front to back, some are bottom to top and very few are back to front. I think we need a picture of said desk with computer in it, to give a decent recommendation.

14. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

What case are you currently using?

An awful lot of cases don't have intakes on the side panels are you sure there's nothing you can do to improve your airflow?

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Turn your case upside down :lol:

16. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

I am also completely confused here. Could the OP have a side vent that is being blocked on a case that already has terrible airflow, and he's just assuming that the side vent is the issue?

17. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

look at the pc case from the front, on the left panel (that you take off to access the inside) is a vent normally used for intake, the way his pc desk is arranged means this vent is right up against the wall meaning no air going in through that vent so.....what he wants is something similar to a raven rv02 where the right panel is the access panel that also has the intake instead of the usual left panel ;)

18. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Something similar to a Silverstone RV02 or FT02 or even a TJ07 with the reverse motherboard mod.

The Coolermaster Stacker 830 series had a reversible motherboard tray as standard I loved that case, massive though.

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

ah well but. If the side panel fan is all that's keeping him "afloat" airflow wise it speaks of a much more serious underlying problem. You shouldn't have to rely on the sidefan unless you are True_Gamer and run triple SLI..

20. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

LittleDevil make reverse cases but they are enthusiast cases so not cheap.