1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [05/08] Which came first

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by yodasarmpit, 5 May 2008.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's a really nice shot - the lighting is brilliant. Any chance of a big 'un? :)

3. Vers

Vers ...

Did you diffuse at all? That hot spot kills it a bit...as does the negative space, but I guess thats just a taste thing.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Aww! Dammit! I was going to do that! :wallbash:

*admits that the picture is really nice, and heads of to a corner to cry*

Seriously, though. The picture is really awesome. Good light and contrast.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The negative space is entirely intentional, however as you say that's a personal taste thing.
    I'm very partial to lots of negative space, unfortunately I sometimes feel alone in that respect :)

6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I actually think the negative space tells a story of the chick having walked off leaving the shell. A very calm composition. But I agree that the hot spot is a bit large. I think further diffusion / more texture and color in the egg would lift this further. This IS nitpicking though :)
    How'd you punch that hole by the way? It looks rather authentic :)

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The hole was punched from the inside out, now go figure that out :D

8. Vers

Vers ...

Its not so much the idea of negative space, rather the way in which it was used...In other words I feel the composition is a bit off leaving too much foreground (feel as though the shell is floating in a vat of empty space) If the shell was placed towards the bottom of the frame it would seem as though its grounded a bit. BTW, if your going for a realistic take-- when a chick hatches it breaks the egg shell in two, similar to when you crack it open to fry one up. Whether than matters or not is up to you ;)

9. Vers

Vers ...

I see a slit in the shell membrane...Happen to use a wire/fish hook? (poke a small hole with a pin, insert hook then pull punching a larger hole, then possibly using a prod to remove the rest of the shell for a desired shape/hole size) I've also used a corkscrew instead of a hook.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Nah, there's another hole at the back, where I pushed a small knife through from.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

What did you use as a surface, BTW?

I'm looking for something to use as a background in "studio" photographing, but haven't found anything ideal yet.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's just a sheet of glass (from a photo frame) sitting on a black cloth material stretched out behind.

13. Vers

Vers ...

Completely forgot to ask...did you shoot this with your Sigma?

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yeah, first shot with it, didn't get a chance to get outside much today.

15. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I really love the negative space in this, actually. Like REALLY love it. I didn't even notice the hotspot on the shell until it was mentioned by OleJ and Vers.

16. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

I'm gona have to be with Da Dego on this one, the negative space really "makes" the photo work.
    good job as always :)

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm thinking of updating it with this one.

[​IMG]

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

TBH I like the first one better.

In the first one it looks like something have come out of the egg and wandered off (the negative space enhance this "feeling"). In the second one the egg looks just damaged. There is also a visible double reflection in the glass.

Having that said, I think the second one looks good as well, but not as good as the first. :)

19. Vers

Vers ...

While the egg in the first image may look cleaner (in a sense) the second image portrays what an actual hatch would look like. Seeing as though a chick fits inside the egg with absolutely no room between it and the shell, the first image reveals a bit of inconsistency...how exactly would a chick fit through a hole that is a fraction of its size? Unless it was comprised of Jello it couldn't. From another standpoint I see what smilodon means about the shell looking a bit sloppy...then again its a bit more realistic.

As for the second image...the composition is much better and the shell balances very well with the use of negative space, but there is still something thats bothering me that I just can't quite pin down...something to do with the shell, just don't know what. Maybe its the angle of lighting? I like the way you lit the first image (from the left), but the second I'm not too sure of.

20. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

^^^ **** it does seem twot with an a is censered

Tags: