1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Video of the day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cthippo, 23 Jan 2013.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So, like the Photo of the day thread, this one is intended for Bit-Techers to post videos you've produced.

It's also intended to be a place to discuss production, editing and so on techniques so we can hopefully all improve at this. To kick things off, here's my latest, a video on kayaking in the sea caves at Deception pass...

Last edited: 10 Feb 2014
    G0UDG likes this.
  2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I've posted some of these before in the Videos of Awesome thread, but considering the intent of this thread I'll add these here.

Time lapse sequences taken from the ISS during Expeditions 28 and 29 (I edited the section between 0:53-6:50)

Time lapse sequences taken from the ISS during Expeditions 29 and 30

The final 3 Space Shuttle missions:

STS-133 Post-flight video (final flight of Discovery)

STS-134 Post-flight video (final flight of Endeavour)

STS-135 Post-flight video (final flight of Atlantis and the last mission of the Space Shuttle Program). I put together the mission highlights section (from 3:50-10:55).

Cthippo likes this.
  3. Cthippo

Those are awesome, SM!

How much was the first one speeded up in the time lapse?

4. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Really like the kayaking in caves video :)

Here's one I shot with GoPro2 in Grand Canyon

5. Cthippo

Nice one, Cheap Mod!

Here's something I put together this morning on selecting music for videos...

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Fun with food

We got some new cameras at work, so I spent some time playing with the different settings. Needless to say, it was fun. Also, in retrospect I probably should have taken off the extended battery pack and used the waterproof housing instead. :blush:

7. Cthippo

Your audience doesn't look very impressed :p

We went to Goat Island / Fort Whitman Monday and took some good footage, but I haven't had the time to edit it into anything, and I'm not sure if i will get it done before we leave for California on Sunday. Curse you real life!

8. October

October Mariachi Style

Just spent the day shooting a promo for a couple of friends, they started a wedding invite/other printed artsynesses(?) business a while ago and it's starting to properly take off. Pretty excited to be editing something with a purpose again! Hopefully have something to show y'all real soon, benefits of not having a real job any more.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've posted some of these before, but it seems like an appropriate thread.

Orkney Islands

Singapore

Singapore

A bit of Mustang holliganism

...although technically, this isn't mine... as my wife shot the interior view.

Pretty much All I've done that I can show. I've done loads of tutorials and other stuff for work, but I'm not allowed to post those.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2013
  10. Cthippo

Life has gotten weird, but on the plus side, I have time for editing!

This one took a ridiculous amount of time to edit, but I'm a lot happier with the results than I have been with many of my other videos.

Next step is to figure out Audacity... :sigh:

11. Cthippo

Damn you, Pooky, you're going to make me spend money!

I was just looking at D7000s on eBay the other day because my KM 5D is dying. Those vids are very impressive!

Edit: 5.5 kiloposts for the cheesecake!

Last edited: 11 Feb 2013
  12. Pookeyhead

D7000s are cheap now.. will get cheaper too as Nikon are probably on the verge of releasing a new DX format camera to replace it.

13. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I thought the d7000 was consumer where as the DX range were professional no?

I've got a d7000 and I love it been getting into photography over the last year, it's just another thing to blow money on ;-)

Here is a vid I made for the ex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kqzcV7xu8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just shot on my d7000

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

14. Pookeyhead

No. The DX range is just the crop sensor format, where FX is the full frame format. The D7000 is a DX format camera. There are also consumer FX cameras... well.. camera... as there's only one Nikon FX consumer camera at the moment, the D600.

15. Cthippo

This is the first of two videos from our trip to the peninsula this week. I was going to post them both together, but the second one is still transcoding three hours later and I'm going to bed.

This was surfing in my kayak at Crescent Beach, which is part of the Salt Creek recreation area west of Port Angeles WA. The waves were running 5-6 feet and this video captures some of the sheer violence of them. In the next to the last segment you see me try to go over a wave, but instead it grabs me and drags me backwards for quite a ways. In the final bit I've gotten out through the surf and caught a big one coming back in. Even when it works perfectly you still get beat up in that water.

Can't wait to get back out there next month!

And here's the second one, shot the next day. The surf wasn't up, so we played in the rocks instead. The results weren't quite what I might of liked, but sometimes the best you can offer is comedy for others!

16. Cthippo

Another video of me getting beaten up in the surf!

This one was at Westhaven State Park at Westport WA. My sister and girlfriend were filming me from the beach and both almost got taken out by a big wave. The first time I didn't even make it out through the surf before I got dumped, and the second time I got out there, got scared by the big swell, and got dumped coming back in. We then headed back to the hotel and all got in the hot tub. Life is good.

My G/F and I and another friend are headed to Neah Bay next week, so you can expect some more videos soon.

17. Cthippo

Yeah, another kayaking video. Hey, go with what you know, right?

18. October

October Mariachi Style

I didn't edit this but about half of it is my camera work. Sadly I don't think the editor realised I was shooting super-flat and hasn't added any contrast back in to my stuff. Oh well, I got paid at least.

Didn't edit this one either and its been compressed to within an inch of its life, but all the award ceremony stuff and some of the other stuff is mine. 85mm handheld on a crop sensor Cheesecake :D

Last edited: 13 Apr 2013
  19. Cthippo

The hockey one is awesome, October!

That's the style I would like to try to move towards in my videos, more professional and action-y. It's hard trying to be the subject and also the cameraman at the same time.

20. October

October Mariachi Style

It's really not, so many things could have been done better! There's a few more hockey vidoes I've been part of, I'll try and stick them up.

Edit: here we are!

Slight overkill with the frame burn on the first one for my taste, it's how you make a video exciting at the moment apparently.

Embed vimeo video

Embed vimeo video

Last edited: 14 Apr 2013