1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Intel's 2014 line-up is looking great for enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 7 Apr 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Apr 2014
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

I presume that means Devil's Canyon will be DDR3?

I hope so, I've only just bought some new ram.

3. DbD

DbD Minimodder

As a user of an old i2500K still don't see anything exciting. I will upgrade if either:
    -I can get a 6+ core cpu at sensible prices (i.e. not the over priced extreme stuff Intel sells).
    -I can much higher ipc, so far the gains have been too small for me to bother upgrading.

All I can see from this is a low end o/c chip which isn't very exciting, the i2500K was cheap considering original price wasn't that high and how many years it has lasted. Slightly better o/c'ing isn't going to change the world either.

4. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

2500k sandy bridge here too, overclocks to 4.8ghz nice and stable - if I actually have something to play...

99% of the time I have it left on standard speeds because that's all I need for work and the types of games I play. I turn the OC on if I play Arma3 but that's about it. I will keep this until it either dies or something hugely better comes along.

I am more concerned about graphics cards :( I need a better one and don't have the 450 quid I would really need to spend to get something good for this resolution.

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I was planning on a new system this summer using a 4770k, should I hold off for a few months and see if I can get a similar priced and performing chip that won't need delidded ?

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The 4670K is already 15% faster than the 2500K and even at 4.6GHz it’s noticeably quicker than a 5GHz 2500K too. Admittedly this is probably not enough to warrant an upgrade, especially as you’d need a new board too, but if the new Core i5 is even faster clock for clock and offers better overclocking than Haswell, then it could well be worth considering.

‘All I can see from this is a low end o/c chip which isn't very exciting’. Heresy! :D You only have to look back at Core 2 days to see just how popular cheaper overclockable CPUs were. Considering Pentiums currently retail for £50-90, imagine if it’s overclockable to around 4670K speeds or maybe even faster? A sub £100 overclockable CPU is going to have massive appeal to anyone that can’t really afford a Core i5 and will give AMD a run for its money at the low end too. Couple it with a decent £70 Z87 board and that's a pretty exciting prospect.

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Definitely. Or at the very least, wait and see what the new CPUs are like and you'll have the choice of a 4770K in the sale or a Devil's Canyon chip that will hopefully run cooler and faster.

8. PlayLoud

PlayLoud What's a Dremel?

Same. My 3570k (tops out at 4.2 for me) is fine for gaming. I have my 3770k running at 4.4 for 24/7 folding. THAT system I would be willing to upgrade if there were an affordable 6-8 core CPU to replace it. Otherwise, the speed increase just isn't there to justify the cost.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Some nice stuff emerging from Intel. When 32nm came along it was good, then 28nm and it was like whatever... 14nm is truly stunning. I am reminded of the days when we were at 130nm then the gradual decrease to 90, 66 etc.

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I'm still running a i7 920 running at 4.2GHz, has been for years. Was thinking of retiring this rig and building a new one, but can't justify it when this one is still in working order.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Cheers man, as I suspected but I just needed that confirmation !

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

A Haswell chip is noticeably faster than its Sandy Bridge equivalent. The difference is not big enough to be worth upgrading but it's definitely there.

Skylake will probably be worth it though - that's the next architecture I'll be upgrading to.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

X99 here I come, the 8 core cpu won't be used to it's full potential straight away but it will be good to know, it will have the extra speed available to me.

Will be March time next year when I do a rebuild so need to start saving as no doubt the 8 core is going to be a £1K cpu.

14. DZZRtt

DZZRtt What's a Dremel?

Dear God, please make them stop. I just finished upgrading my rig

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I am kinda disappointed that if we want faster SSD speeds we are going to have to invest in a M.2 drive.
    Unless the normally sub par non Intel SATA controllers can get their act together and give us decent SATA Express.

16. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

That's exactly what I was thinking, as well as the AMD product development department...

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Looking forward to seeing how the Devils Canyon CPU's handle the temps when overclocking, improved TIM is a welcome addition, clock for clock improvement over SB and equal or greater OC potential will have me sold - purchase trigger for me is a 4.8ghz+ OC at reasonable temps under full load :)

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I assume that new i7 Extreme won't fit in a 1150 board?

19. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Lol. I'm still on Sandy Bridge/Z68 platform. Time to upgrade?
    i7 2600k btw.

20. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

There's a few comments on here about holding out for this when it comes to upgrade, but will improvements only really been seen by true enthusiasts? my main wonderment is what impact will it have on prices of the current Haswell CPUs and z87 mobos? there wasn't a huge price difference from sandy/ivy and Haswell from what i can see?

Tags: Add Tags