1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3D Realms not pleased with Max Payne movie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

The greatest 'WTF' came from the casting of Jim Bravura.. Who the hell thought some over-Christian-y black rapper could be a replacement for the coarse-voiced, married-to-the-job, stereotypical NYPD Chief that we had in the game(s)?!?

That and the valkyries?! Seriously...

It looked cool enough in the trailer, but it was doomed to be a bad port from the beginning...

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I didn't see the movie, and likely won't until it hits DVD. Rotten Tomatoes shows a 19% rating for the film - that's pretty darn lousy.

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Another video game to movie ruined. I'm glad Hideo Kojima is standing in 110% for the MGS movie and not letting his masterpiece end up in the toilet because of bad directing.

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i'll probably still see it in the theater... i can deal with $10... i just need to leave my brain at the door and enjoy the ride. im sure i can still enjoy it.

the fact that im sure im not the only one to think this way is the reason it's still hitting the box-office.......

6. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i agree with redbeaver....alot of poeple seem to think that everytime they see a film, the plot, cinematography and cgi will be as good as their favourite film, be it lord of the rings or usual suspects, but the fact of the matter is, when you go and see a film like this or an oldie like predator, you arent watching it because its a revolutionary piece of film making, its because it may or (in this case) may not be good entertainment, with cheesy lines like, 'gun fire into doorway', "knock knock" from predator that just make you laugh, so yeh, pay your money and leave your cinicism at the door and enjoy the film. i'll see max payne once i've gone to the the dark knight as thats still on my must see list at the theatre.

peace

fatman

7. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

Related stories: "New Monkey Island?"

Yes, I am definitely reading Bit-Tech.

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

WTF! not Uwe Boll's work this time?
    Luckily for us we can rant at him again soon with the upcoming alone in the dark 2, far cry and bloodrayne 3

9. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Well, the Cutscenes there are almost movies, that might be a good headstart over other game to movie adaptions as it will make it far easier to be close to the orignal.

Don't need a reason anymore to rant about him, he's as much of a director as jack thompson is a lawyer...
    Too bad to see Bloodrayne in his hands though, as for far cry, well that can only end up boring, no matter what director.

3DRealms really should hae worked out a better contract that would have given them more control over how the movie is, but easy for me to say that now that its too late, now they know allready as well.

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

So, they first sell the rights to make a movie and now they are complaining?...
    Thats just ridiculous...

Next time they could sell the right with a condition to write the screenplay!

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

and they replaced the original soundtrack with nothing memorable
    I saw it with my Gf opening day. It was okay but could of been a lot better. They never really explain the significance of the Ragnarok club or really much of anything. The Mob is also not in the movie at all.

having played the games i at least knew where the story was coming from my GF thought it was just wierd or confusing.
    it was a shame it had some really interesting and cool visuals, especially when he takes the drugs

12. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

They should have just overhauled/sexed up the engine and done it in Machinima :p

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The engine actually still looks good today. Very impressive game.

14. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Thanks to an awesome level of Wine compatibility, I'm re-discovering this as being very true.

15. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

I went and saw this (For free - Thanks Cineplex VIP card) on opening night with my wife. I've played and completed both Max Payne games, she's never seen either.

We both thought the movie was soooooo vvveeeeerrrrryyyyyy sssslllllooooooooowwwww... And not because of the bullet-time (Which was used infrequently, but to great effect), either. The plot dragged it's heels more than a dead dog chained to the back of a pickup truck and pulled from Reno to Nunavit, some of the casting was all wrong (Bravura? WTF?), and major characters and plot points were missing, or in the wrong place, or retconned and replaced entirely.

Yes, as others have said, no mob references at all, which kinda ruined things as Max was caught between the Mob, the Russians, and the police, and only the latter were (ostensibly) present.

And the "After the credits teaser" just twisted the knife even more. Way to drop the bomb that there's gonna be a sequel, that's even less like the games.

I'm very glad I didn't have to pay to see it, is all I'm sayin'.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I'm so very much going to see this... i actually like watching movies that are REALLY bad (*cough* hostel 2 *cough*)...
    not sure whether it'll be in the cinema though... might have to wait till it hits DVD

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

In Soviet Russia, Max Payne watches you. :worried:

I think this is a film I'll end up watching on DVD. The trailer looked decent enough and I liked the music they played over it. Anyhoo, don't 3D Realms have something else to do other than complain. Like finish a game that's been in development, seemingly, forever?

18. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Considering the fact that I absolutely adored the original game, I've mixed feelings about this movie. I mean, I love movies, so seeing one of my favourite games of all time in movie form is something that appeals to me greatly. But I am of course worried about the faithfulness of the adaptation.

I will probably see it at the cinema, and try my best to enjoy it. I'll probably like it in one of two ways. As a great movie adaptation, or as a movie in its own right.

I'm hoping its a good movie, regardless of how well it handles the original material.

19. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I really can't understand why the writers, producers, and directors feel the need to 'leave their mark' on a story. It's been going on for a while, but at lease with all the old B&W movie adaptations of books, they didn't stray too far from the source.

I think there will only be 2 ways to get a game movie to not suck. One is to use machinima so the game itself makes sure the film sticks to the story. The other is to get the guys who did the design document involved as a major force in the film to try and keep it so the movie resembles its namesake.

Tags: Add Tags