1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Fungus

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Prime, 23 Nov 2012.

1. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

:(

I bought two lenses off of the local auction site, a 28mm F3.5 Ais Nikkor and a 135mm F3.5 Ais Nikkor. Unfortunately the seller either didn't notice or neglected to mention that both are infected with fungus :sigh:

I've been given the option from the seller to return the lenses for a full refund; or I can send them to Sunray (who is the premier camera and lens repair place in Joburg )and see if he can clean them at my own expense. I spoke to him on the phone and Sunray said that they can clean them as best as possible but can't guarantee that the lenses will ever be 100%. He also said he can't do anything if it's got in between glued elements.

The one lens contains 6 elements in 6 groups and the other contains 7 elements in 7 groups - does this mean that none of the lenses are glued together?.
    Which interal lenses are coated?

All the fungus is internal. The 28mm is more severe than the 135mm.

So my question is, is it worth it to try fix them or should i cut my losses and return them?

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Personally, I would cut your losses and run.

Even if Sunray manages to get all the fungus out, you'll still have a worry in your mind that it'll come back. There's also a chance that the dismantled lenses won't work quite as perfectly again once they've been repaired.

3. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

in my opinion best is to get refund, there is no point of spending more money on those lens, also if repairs fail then you will lost both lens and money

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Refund! There is a chance the fungus has etched itself into the glass!

Lens fungus excretes an acid that can etch the glass of the lens leaving it permanently unusable

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Get refund while you still can. There's no guarantee that the fungus didn't already damaged the lens coating, even a pro won't be able to fix it if it's the case.

6. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

Inclined to agree.

Refund it is.

For interest sake, is fungus ever an issue on modern lenses and how does one prevent it?

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Interesting information here:

''A very unusual problem is caused when lenses are exposed to extreme cold and then brought into a warm building. The moisture inside the cold lens condenses into liquid water or "fog" on cold interior lens surfaces, especially when it is allowed to warm too quickly. The best way to control this is to leave the lens in its closed protective case and allow it warm very slowly after is brought inside from sub-freezing conditions.

Overall, the best way to control moisture is to keep small packets of "Silica Gel" desiccant inside the case with each lens. (Most new lenses come with a Silica Gel packet inside the box. Keep it and use it!)''