1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows AN alternative to Live Mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by CrapBag, 20 Oct 2014.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I used to use Outlook Express and it did the job and was fine.

Then I moved to Live Mail 2011 I think and then upgraded to 2012 which is when the problem of emailing photo's arrived as they wanted you to use 1 drive or whatever it's called

I also hated the fact that Live mails back up system was and is crap as when you restore your emails after a fresh install it puts the folders into an imported folder and you cant just copy the whole folder over even though it allows you to drag and drop it doesn't work. So you have to manually recreate or the folders and then move each folders contents over as a group.

So I'm looking to try another email program that will let me do what I want, let me email photos without trying to force me to use something else and will make a backup and actually restore it as it was in the first place.

ANy ideas?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Thunderbird?

Dunno how well maintained it is any more though...

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Are you a student?

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I don't remember Live Mail forcing my dad to use One Drive when he emails photos, I will have to check with him now. I moved my dad from Live Mail to Outlook because LM kept reacquiring emails, in the end he had well over 100k emails which couldn't be deleted because of errors with the emails themselves. It made the laptop grind to a halt.

Outlook would obviously need to be bought so that may not be any help, and I use W8 Mail, which also might not be any help. So I've probably been rather unhelpful :D

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

At 44 nope :)

There is a work around where if you add a text file it will allow you to attach using send to email recipient but that I'm afraid makes thing to complicated for my 78 year old mother. She used to just right click an image and then choose send to mail recipient, but now it just asks for one drive (or what ever its called).

It's the export import system that annoys me the most personally, plus we are all on win 7 so couldn't use the new outlook I believe.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Edit: Just noticed the right click image part and send. Will have a look later!

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh it works fine using the paper clip but its when you do the right click, send to, mail recipient option which is what my mum is so used to doing.

I updated her to win 7 this year and that was a stretch for her so I don't want to teach her too much new stuff.

The issue of the import/export problem is still forcing me away from live.

Downloaded Thunderbird, seems it's still supported by Mozilla for security ect so might give that a go.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Outlook, but as you know, it costs between £100 -£120 on its own

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

That's crazy MS need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Win 8 costs less than that for a full blown OS.

10. RedFlames

That's largely irrelevant, the software on my PC costs more than several times the hardware did... but had i not spend the £25 I did on a copy of windows, none of the several thousand pounds worth of software would function...

Is a stand-alone copy of outlook worth £110? possibly not, but when some of the software on my pc sits comfortable in 4-figure territory to buy, quibbling over a mere £110 for outlook or £80-odd for an oem copy of windows seems a bit daft...

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

...but outlook just handles email which other free programs will do just as well, that's the missing point here.

I need some form of windows to play the games I wish but I don't need a £110 program just to read email, it's ludicrous and I'm really surprised that you have paid for it. So technically it's not irrelevant.

Windows does way way more than what outlook does so the price is utterly extortionate.

If thunderbird doesn't do what I want for free than I'll just have to live with Live.

12. RedFlames

Email, Calendar, Contacts, syncing them all with a server [only reliably does it with Exchange admittedly], integration with the rest of Office should you want/need it and Microsoft's Customer support should it be needed...

I'm not disagreeing that one the face of it £110 is a bit steep and for the record I didn't pay it, I do however pay for it as part of my Office 365 sub...

Outlook probably isn't what you're after [at any price], but if Thunderbird doesn't do what you want, Opera Mail might be worth a try too...

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

No chance to downgrade back to wlm2011? If she was kind of used to it at it worked wrt pictures, might be the best option.

14. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

TBH When you create the most used/polished desktop publishing and email client you can charge what you like for them.
    £120 is cheap.

As mentioned software is more expensive than hardware, Which I've learnt to new extents the past few weeks.
    We are throwing away i7 desktops in bins... but a core2duo with £600K worth of software is kept.
    Software rules..

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a server 2k box that can attest to that!

16. Xir

Xir Modder

...might give Foxmail a try.
    Yes it's chinese, so the latest version isn't what you should try (unless your read chinese).
    But it's used by a lot of people (albeit not here) and rather stable.

Export and import is dandy.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Couldn't tell us in what bin's to look, could you? :D

But yes, I understand, we have ancient hardware running because the propietary software (and hardware) is so expensive (and not written to run under a modern OS...or on modern hardware)

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I use postbox, not free but it's super sleak and works perfectly with gmail and IMAP.