1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Wiring Lights

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kev8alot, 22 Jun 2011.

1. kev8alot

kev8alot What's a Dremel?

Hi guys and gals,

I have a cathode tube sound activated kit and I was trying to make the switches work more conveniently through the 3.5 covers slot in the front rather than having to adjust it in the back. The oem part had a sensitivity adjuster and a DPDT on off on switch. The first on makes the light sound activated. The second one makes the light solid. The off well turns it off. I was trying to wire the DPDT to two, I repeat two DPST double pull single throw switches. PLZ HELPS...

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

[​IMG]

I'd use 2 x SPST switches, as illustrated in the red box, and just leave all gnd connections permanently connected, as there's no need for a second pole to switch gnd wires.

3. kev8alot

[​IMG]

I did see your post and thanks a bunch. But I need the DPDT to go to two DPST switches not DPDT. The above is how I have it and how I would like it to work.

4. mvagusta

Ahh, I was wondering why they used a DPDT, but it seems that's what they had to work with and just left the spare poles unused.

So here's an updated version, as you can see the wiring is basically the same:

[​IMG]

If the black wire is a gnd wire, then all that means is that the switches are activating the lights by connecting them to gnd. You can see how I've connected the black gnd wire to both switches, and the blue wires go to their own switches.

Now if your lights are not turning off, then I'd guess you have a short somewhere, which could be:

1) a drip of solder or a stray strand of wire shorting out the switch connections
    2) faulty switch
    3) a short to ground somewhere else in your wiring or connections, possibly to the pc case.

5. kev8alot

Ok. Thanks again, I'll upload a couple photos when I'm done with it lol.

6. kev8alot

So I found my problem. I made a mistake finding my ground wire. So I wired it up correctly now and it turns off sound on and solid on. So yeah, thanks a bunch for the help I would have overlooked it. So thanks again.

mvagusta likes this.
  7. mvagusta

Good to read it's all working :thumb:

Pics or it didn't happen :D

8. kev8alot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOL ITS HERE!!