1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 3 and the inventory problem

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I had no problem with the inventory and quite enjoyed the gradual upgrades available through the hunter missions.

Do you not use the quick sell function when fast travelling?

3. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I hate the writing style in this article, sorry.

However the backpack issue was worst thing about farcry 3, I agree.

4. longweight

What were you always carrying with you to fill up the pack?

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Once I'd done the grinding of upgrading all my stuff, I didn't really bother with the backpack save for the odd plant to experiment with syringes.

In fact, other than health I didn't really bother much with syringes either. I just played it as a freeform FPS for a few days until I'd done all the side missions etc. then worked through the plot to the end.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Wow what a lot grumbling about nothing.

Yeh the back pack was mildly annoying but I visited camps often enough to just quick sell everything I didn't need anyway.

The hide thing was a little un-thought out though, it did somewhat resemble a hairy steak.

I hated when he had to straighten his thumb or wrist, made me cringe everytime but that's just because I hate that bone crunching sound :).

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I honestly didn't have a problem with the inventory. My OCD mean I kept half the amount of space free for herbs. And the rest free for loot and extra pelts when I killed a bear or a tiger. And then I'd loot bodies. It really isn't difficult to manage.

The selling is a bit irritating and I wish more inventories would emulate the fantastic inventory of the Witcher 2. Which while slightly overly complicated was a joy. Especially with a thoughtfully included "junk" section.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

fetch me 10'000 bear asses.

9. longweight

Pointless article is pointless.

10. Funky

Funky What's a Dremel?

IT'S A BLOG! not an article.
    Yes I agree the inventory is a bit of a pain, i just want want to move through the game shooting, killing, exploring, and collecting what I need. Maybe 2 sizes of everything would be enough. Also got a lot of crashes while in the menu or inventory screen :-(

11. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

This is the exact reason I knocked this game on the head.
    I want to be entertained.
    I am stuck in meetings all week, writing processes for support teams, developing ITIL for the NHS. the last thing I want to do is collect fricking plants in an fps game!!

12. longweight

You didn't have to spend any time at all collecting plants, if that is what stopped you playing the game then you must never finish a game.

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Very similar to what im doing! (although I found Far Cry great fun)

14. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I would think this relates to the every-so-often break in immersion a game has, purely for random reasons.

I do agree that finding said tapirs or specific skins was a PITA. Why did it HAVE to be tapir skin? leopard skin won't do? I had to make a godawful trek to the middle of nowhere because my whinny character felt it had to be tapir. It's quite annoying and really detracts from what the game is, IMO. The first few hours were a grind for all those animal skins, then I finally managed to start playing the game.

Other thing I didn't like was the whole disco space out boss QTE thing. But to be fair, boss fights seem to be impossible to do these days, in just about any game.

15. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

While I haven't played far cry 3, I can relate to the feeling. Also, I love the style. It makes the relatively dry concept (backpacks) nicer, by adding emotion and empathy and stuff.

16. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

I get the feeling that menus are an afterthought in a lot of games, all I can say is don't let the author anywhere near DayZ. The backpack stuff in there is atrocious, he would have to write a really long letter after playing that one, and possibly attend therapy as well.

17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Too early in the morning for it in my case.

18. longweight

Surely people found the lack of anything to do once the campaign was complete to be the biggest annoyance?

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

What game are you talking about? FC3 has very compelling open world stuff that draws the player's focus away from the campaign. For all intents and purposes it should be the same filler content that we ignore in other open world games, but these are actually fun to do for some reason. Most of the FC3 LP series on youtube don't even seem to touch the campaign.

And I don't see how this, of all games is the one that deserves a rant about inventory management. It has a sodding "sell everything that isn't useful" button, it couldn't possibly be any easier.

20. Xunsu

Xunsu What's a Dremel?

I did not like the system ethoir. But thats very very minor. The game is a gem :)

Tags: Add Tags