1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks What can i do to get some decent internet speed?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PFCBroid, 29 Oct 2011.

1. PFCBroid

PFCBroid What's a Dremel?

ok, i'll make this quick and to the point because i don't want lose any potential answers/help.

I live in the barracks with a lot of Marines using old ass modems to connect to some old, slow internet source. It's definately not worth the $40 a month.

What are my choices, to get internet that can handle:
    - my PS3 online gaming, netflix, Qore, etc
    - perhaps with my psp tappping in
    - connecting my Incredible 2 (because WiFi is always better than network)
    - and maybe my roommate's laptop

Being able to handle my PS3 is my main priority, but if it can't handle much more, that's fine. But then again if it's just good enough to handle 1 online connected console, then it'll probably be crappy anyway.

I know that one option is to get a hotspot device from my phone carrier, but since all phone companies have gotten rid of their unlimited data plans, this is highly impractical.

The only other thing I can think to do is find a broadband provider like cricket or CLEAR, and take that route. But I don't know very many providers and I have a bad impression of this since an old friend of mine games this way and it's very laggy.

So what are some good providers and/or what are my internet access choices?

2. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Satellite internet...... all i knowis it exists and some one was talking about a reasonable deal for his house in france

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

satellite not much good for gaming unfortunatly, the lag is awful. download speeds are good enough nowadays though.

couldn't tell you of isp's in america, but three mobile broadband is getting better here, again though lag can be an issue

with three i have a £15 contract with 15GB limit, not sure if you have three yonder side of the big pond or if they are any good over there if they do exist

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

www.dslreports.com

Best site to compare what is around locally and see various reviews even.

If you can get Time warner around that area its sitting at 30mb/5mb for $55/month. Its the fastest internet I've ever used (at home)... :D