1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other asus g74sx help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kehoe, 4 Nov 2015.

1. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

Hi guys

I own a asus g74sx, its been sat in a conservatory for about 4 months while i moved house,I had to get a new motherboard about 3 years ago as the unit had liquid damage and it cost me £500 to get repaired then

I've came to use it today and it worked fine for around an hour, it then blue screened and like a fool i didn't read the error just ignored what it said and let it reboot. It then turned off and when it powered back up but now i get power no display... i've tried a ATX reset but it didn't help.

I've boxed it back up for now n moved it into a warmer room.

I don't know what to do next... considering it cost me £1800 when i got it it seems like allot to just let go BUT more annoying i've spent £500 on it already so to add more cash to something that's now a few years old part of me thinks it's pointless.

Do i think about taking it to a small independent place to see if they can diagnose it ? I am torn to what i do with it :wallbash:

Really would appreciate any help with this one i no its hard due to what the fault is.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2015
  2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

A quick google shows me the GPU is built into the motherboard on these, an obvious weak point.

You can get refurb ones sub £200, but that would be a bit like Russian roulette to how long it would last.

I bet a oven reflow would work a treat with the current board, if you are willing to try.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If it was me, I'd just be cutting my losses on this. I assume you've had it for 4 years or so, so sure its a lot of money to lose quite quickly, but you've probably had a decent amount of use out of it and ultimately at this stage I think you'd be throwing good money after bad.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Home reflow would cost noute :p

5. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

the annoying thing is the lack of use it had... I purchased it from PCW, i paid £1000 for a laptop they couldn't repair and they offered me this.. in a way i cannot argue as technically it didn't cost me to much. if its had 100 hours of use in its life, while my old one was in for repair i got a mac.. and just used that.. but when they replaced it i wasn't going to say no.. in hindsight i should've sold it for how little its been used.

Only got it out today as my two desktop pc's are boxed up while my new desk arrives,

Annoyed as i hate to throw stuff and kicking my self for leaving it in the colder room..

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've got a G73SW and they're still quite valuable. My wife bought it about two years back and used and abused it pretty badly. She once dropped it from about 4ft in the air straight on its bottom. The impact was so hard that the keyboard popped out and three keys flew into the air. God, they were a nightmare to get back in as they have this odd scissor like mech.

It went into storage about a year ago and a couple of weeks back I decided I was going to try and get it all sorted out. I put in a 64gb SSD and a 750gb hdd and installed Windows 7. After a long clean up process (involving lots of blonde hair and chocolate) it looks pretty mint..

Hilariously it's worth almost as much as she paid for it (£550 from Asus refurb).

If you let it warm up and dry out it may still work. Other than that? well you could repair it I guess but you could also flog it on Ebay. These laptops have quite a strong following and if it's in as good a nick as you say it is it could still be worth a couple of hundred quid.