1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your next gen Console purchase going to be?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 13 Feb 2013.

?

What are you getting for next gen?

1. Xbox 720

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. PS4

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. SteamBox

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Ouya

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. A shiny new PC

43 vote(s)
    61.4%
  6. Wii U (or already own it)

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

A lot of new hardware coming soon, but what are you getting?

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

None. GTX 670 or above.

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

OK, I cheated and ticked all of them! I already have a WiiU, I have an OUYA as part of my Kickstarter reward and I will be upgrading my PC when Arma 3 comes out.

As for the others - it really will depend on the games this time - I will not be buying Xbox, PS or Steam on day 1. For the former two at least, if the games just turn out to be rehashes of the current gen games with nicer graphics and a £10-£15 extra price then I won't be interested.

The Steam box does interest me though and it really does depend on what it can do.

For all of them price is important - I won't be spending £400 on them - that's just too much.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

XBOX and PC. As always. Gotta have my Halo. :)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

For me it's simple... I get a console that offers me a gaming experience that my PC can't deliver. What's the point in buying a XBox 360 and PS3 if 90-95% of the games are on PC? And the controls are identical (XBox 360 controller can be, and is, attached to the PC), or worse.

I am still waiting to see what Microsoft and Sony has to offer... but so far my eyes on the WiiU.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

PC > consoles.

I don't mean to turn this into a nerd war but IMO there is no point in owning a console. I own a PS3 and a 360 and I never, ever use them. The ps3 gets some love once a year because I want to play megaman 9 but that's all... The Xbox is one of the worst purchase I have ever done :hehe:

7. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

PC pwns console.., simple

But even better, it can emulate EVERY console

----------------

I plan on updating my rig towards the end of the year in time for the Star Citizen beta, baring something breaking in the meantime.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The PC/Console debate is really subjective as it very much depends on how you play games. Personally I am agnostic. I play on my PC and my consoles but for different reasons.

If your personal situation means you have no use for a console then that's fair enough! I will probably always play on both.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'll buy a PS4. A PC upgrade will happen at some point, but I don't know when...

EDIT: As for why?
    The Xbox has very few exclusives, and those that do exist I have no interest in (Halo, Forza), whereas Sony has really worked on this area and come up trumps (Uncharted, LBP, Ni No Kuni, Heavy Rain, Journey, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian...), and that is really the key to buying a console.

The WiiU is a dead duck. Third party support is evaporating, or going multiplatform, and Nintendo are consistently making mistakes, such as their still-flawed online system. All it has going for it are yet more Zelda and Mario games, which aren't enough.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
  10. GoodBytes

Now a question I wonder.. why a PS4, why a XBox 720, why a WiiU?

I gave my reason before, which is a unique experience (which means I still waiting for what Sony and Microsoft has to announce) before taking a decision. Beside for the first year of the new console, its usually boring, until later the year, so no reason to jump on anything.

What is your reason? Is there any rumor that makes you exited about? Is it exclusive games? If so, which one?

11. GoodBytes

Yes, we know this... we build computers, that's not the point of the topic.
    Beside emulation takes YEARS before its semi good. I think SNES is finally good enough. GameCube and Wii, which you think would not be much of a problem, is barely working on PC via emulator.

Anyway, back to topic.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Exclusive games that I want to play.

I'm finished with halo and forza so will likely not get the next Xbox.

Enough I said all this when ps3 and 360 where released I own every console accept the wiiu that's been released in the last 10 years. ( ps,ps2,ps3, Xbox and 360, vita psp ds 3ds wii) even got a dreamcast.

Got disposable income though, my pc gets the upgrades it needs every year anyway.

Uncharted 3 is still best game I've played on anything be it console or pc in the last 2-3 years.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Emulation of modern consoles is none existant.

Play station is about as modern as you can get working at a decent FPS and only with certain games.

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

New Xbox 720 for when I have people over playing Fifa/ kinect easy to use and everyone pretty much knows the controls etc.

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It just goes to show what a hard job developers have as I rated this as one of the worse 'games' I have played ever ;-)

As for what features will swing me to a particular console...

1. Available games - I want to see something epic, something playable and something innovative. I don't want the same old boring corridor shooters.

2. I would like to see an innovative use of hardware. I bought the PS3 purely because of the blu-ray feature for example. I like the WiiU controller and would like to see this on other consoles (without having to fork out for a tablet!). I would love to see the Xbox bundled with something that enabled you to use the smartglass feature for example. BUT, related to my first point, I want to see games that use these features intelligently and not just tacked on as happened to the Kinect.

3. Price - I am not paying £400. I bought the PS3 on day one for £429, but that was still cheaper than a blu-ray player at the time. Anything more than £200 and the console will need to offer something special indeed.

4. Function - I do not want an all singing and dancing media connected experience - I want a GAMES console that can play blu-ray movies and DVDs (the last two are not even a show-stopper - I will still have my PS3). I don't want to connect to Facebook, or Twitter or any other social media.

5. Online - I want an XBL experience and not a PSN experience - I'll pay for it if it guarantees quality. Even after all these years, PSN is nowhere near XBL for quality and consistency.

6. I want a bundled headset and TWO controllers.

7. I want the moon on a stick....

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, you really do. Face reality, the next generation of consoles are going to be £300-350 for hardware alone, and that'll be a single bundled controller as usual. They will both be BluRay based, and have stacks of social media functionality, video sharing, music streaming, DNLA compatibility...in other words, attempting to replace the AppleTVs, Rokus, WDTVs of the world.

XBL may offer some good features (cross-game chat), but PSN is a slam dunk for value. I've never seen so many amazing games given away for free.

17. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Without going into PC master-racing, I really cba with consoles.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Console? PS4. I use my PS3 for more than just gaming, it's my BR player, iplayer and movie rental streamer.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I will qualify my statement - I agree PSN (especially PSN+) is great for free content. My main beef is the actual quality of the service from a technical standpoint. PSN is so unreliable and very laggy whereas XBL is pretty perfect. So, XBL technically and PSN from a 'free games' point of view would be my choice.

A high price point may not necessarily put me off, but it will have to offer something special when it comes to gaming - all that other guff I can get elsewhere if I need it.

20. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

With rechargeable batteries :thumb: