1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Just Cloud: a terrible backup service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I use skydrive. It's fantastic. Not 2TB to be sure, but have have 125Gb after buying a 100Gb upgrade and it works great.
    I'm also using crashplan, which is okay, but a bit slow...

3. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

It's important to distinguish between a backup service and cloud storage like skydrive and dropbox.

For dedicated back-up I would recommend crashplan ...NASA use it!

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

CloudPT. 16GB free and is FAST because it belongs to my ISP (don't know how it behaves outside the ISP though).

5. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I can't recommend from experience, but it's worth checking out BackBlaze.

They use open source and in-house built software, and they documented how they built their storage pods cheaply, complete with the bill of materials and CAD designs. At least for that they're worth some attention.

Oh, and they offer unlimited storage space for $5 / month. :naughty:

6. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

CrashPlan.

You don't even *need* to buy cloud storage for it, if you know someone with spare space, and they're willing to store stuff for you (perhaps you could do the same back). Backups are encrypted, and like I say, can work on a peer to peer basis as well as to CrashPlan's cloud service.

As it's Java, I can run it on Windows, OS X, Linux and Solaris - my NAS is ZFS on Solaris, and CrashPlan backs up my data there too. And because CrashPlan capable of backing up to more than one location, I back up my main PC to two locations using CrashPlan: the cloud, and my NAS. That way, if it's just a matter of deleted files, I can get them back very quickly, while still having the security of a remote backup.

For me, Mozy / Carbonite / etc. are no competition at all.

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

JustCloud.com? No wonder! I would have expected nothing but a sub par offering with a bit of up-sell to fix it on the side.

Why on earth did you not go for one of the better established players? Crashplan, Carbonite, Mozy, Backblaze, Databaracks? To name but five in no particular order.

"Fresh and New" isn't what you want for online backup.

Also. I think this article is not up to the usual BT standards. It's not a professional critique of a service but a personal rant without any facts and figures to back up the claims being made. I don't doubt the experience you had Antony as it mirrors what is said elsewhere but a little less rant and a little more fact would have been more appropriate.

8. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

I've tried both Backblaze and Crashplan, the latter of which I'm currently using. I switched because I get quite a bit more control with Crashplan and also the family pack is quite nice for me since I have a laptop, desktop, NAS, then three other machines for my parents. 12 bucks/mo beats 30 bucks on backblaze.

*edit* My only complaint with Crashplan and this might be caused by something else, I have 6.5mbit/s up but I'm only getting 200KB/s uploaded. Could be the university capping me, could be slow drives, could be a lack of CPU power for encryption/compression, I haven't really tried to trace it yet.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2013
  9. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

We use dropbox - it works fine for what we need.

10. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I use SugarSync been using it for years now and on there free package but racked up 15GB of space now which does me fine, although there paid packages are rather cheap too.
    I love the fact that you can sync multiple folders across multiple platforms and the new beta feature shows your storage space as a networked drive in explorer which is a great idea.

11. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i don't have anything worth backing up :-(

i need a hug.

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

They were all more much more expensive - I was looking for 100GB+ of storage and at face value Justcloud seemed to offer more features too, plus, while it was new, it had been reviewed not just by dodgy sites but by several well-known, respectable ones too. It wasn't all rant to be honest :D - I did mention the cost, the fact it was painfully slow without the upload speed upgrade, the fact the roundup I read at www.toptenreviews.com is highly suspect and that the basic package being devoid of many features other services include as standard. It's also true there's nothing to tell you this before you sign up. Sorry I didn't include more factual evidence but it's not a review or feature or professional critique. It's a 600 word blog so part personal opinion/rant, part factual info is part of the course :D

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Amazon Glacier S3.

14. Funky

Funky What's a Dremel?

Great, when you feel down and like you've been had over, maybe lost a few quid.
    You can always rely on some know it all to make you feel better.
    Get over it. It's a blog!

Haha me to. I have 25 gb of Google drive nearly empty. Just a few game saves and license keys:)

I feel your pain, we've all been had at some point. Now where did i put that £2000 vacuum cleaner:duh:

Last edited: 23 Jan 2013
  15. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Another vote for Crashplan - it's got unlimited space, the software is very good and the support is pretty good from my experience.

I'm now on Mozy, as I was getting slow upload speeds from Crashplan for a while. However, I'll be going back to my former cloud backup service once my subscription with Mozy ends as it's not a patch on Crashplan. The only thing in Mozy's favour are the upload speeds as Crashplan's servers, I believe, are based in the US.

Here's a good article on Ars Technica about Crashplan:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...hplan-is-cloud-backup-for-literally-everyone/

16. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I have Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive (2 accounts), Box, MediaFire, Photobucket and Vodafone Cloud.
    Photobucket can be used only for images since it doesn't have a limit to how much you can upload of it.
    MediaFire is the one I using as cloud/backup storage because the free account provides 50GB, it looks simple and easy to use, I'm still exploring.
    Skydrive is pretty much straightforward as Google Drive, every folder is set to private and the sharing options are very restrict to prevent unwanted sharing. Box is another service which I still have to explore.
    Dropbox I try to avoid its use because I have some considerable space but it has an expiration date so I'm waiting to see the real storage space.
    Vodafone Cloud works as the smartphone backup/cloud storage albeit I can use it via browser and like a normal cloud storage.

17. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

Carbonite, MediaFire.

18. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Ubuntu One.

Windows, Mac, Linux (GTK and QT), Android, iOS, Web clients. 5GB free, extra 20GB from referrals.

Fast in US, even though servers are in Europe.

19. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Let's not forget you can use http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/knowhow-cloud-1tb-backup-share-service-13730030-pdt.html

..........Pfffhahahahahahahahah, I'm just f*$%in' with you!

My mate went in to pick up one of those web only 1tb usb3 hdd for £49.99 the other day and got hammered by the sales dude claiming it was the best back-up cloud storage in the country and he wouldn't need the hdd even though the physical storage was 3 times cheaper!

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'm using Glacier also now, got almost 600GB on it and my monthly bill is less than $7.

Yes it will cost me money to download it ALL again (roughly £60) should my NAS fail, but for the price it can't be beaten for bulk backup.

Tags: Add Tags