1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Linux Format censored over 'Learn to Hack' feature

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 4 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Brilliant publicity for the mag, I'm half tempted to pick it up now. :p

3. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Information is power, governments don't like citizens with power!

4. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

me too. might get it in town today

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Yes, censor something in print thats available all over the internet. that will work.

What next? Censoring file trackers?

Oh.

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Got that issue. Already knew most it as its what im studying at uni but it was very good issue! Bloody love open source!

7. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

All publicity is good publicity, good on em! Now I have to go pick that copy up :)

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Censoring something that can be find all over the internet ... how stupid. But as mentioned, great publicity !

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Next news story will be:

Linux format sales increase due to publicty

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't think the government is as worried about being hacked as say a large profitable company like Sony. Anyways, I think it would be funny and ironic if the result of putting the "content of the article online for free" would result in POed customers using that hacking knowledge to hack B&N.

Also, wouldn't it have been easier if B&N just asked if they could cut out the pages explaining how to hack? I'm sure that entire magazine doesn't consist of just hacking.

11. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Got it from nntp (20sec), it's ok but a bit too much, no wonder they wanted to pulled out this one.

12. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Got Beat the CIA too. LOL

CIA = Central of IDIOCY Agency

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Stunt? Did someone say stunt? I'm sure I heard someone say this is just a marketing stunt?

Shhhhhh

Listen carefully...

14. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Bought it in Sainsburys tonight - last copy too :D.

15. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

So is that violation of freedom of speech?

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

love metasploit.. it is too much to be put into jackass hands- but then again a jackass wouldn't know what to do or how the network is laid out once he got in.. create pivots and work his way to the domain server

I was actually going to do the same thing over a year back.. wrote a batch of tools that does much of what you need to do automatically- was a lot of work.. everyone I talked to said I would end up in court so dropped the idea of selling it along with a hardware package that could blow away anything you can buy.. I'm talking breaking into any wifi from quite a distance, along with a service to break the wpa/wpa2 handshakes.. you could do it even indoors using my home made directional 17db yagi antennas (milled down to a thousands of an inch- computer modeled) paired with the right hardware to get it there, then using metasploit / man in the middle attacks (actually called it micheal jacksons touch lol stayed up weeks coding all the parts in python)

before my pops passed he told me he was proud of that decision, my sister told me the moral implications but I was so caught up in the money end of it wasn't seeing strait.. no amount of money can rub away having people hurt financially because their bank account/paypal/cc was hacked by an idiot using my tools (I mean the main clients would be criminals- they would be very interested in this sort of thing).. it's not that it's really hard- because the ideas are already there, but making it easy for the semi coherent long stretches is something that should be avoided..

see criminals are well dumb- that's why they are criminals.. they can't hack it in the real world so they do things the easy way (fleece johnson).. if you leave in the monkey wrench- most will just give up and move onto something they can understand.. think most in the security field would agree with me on this- we don't need step by step instructions on how to break into rigs

Last edited: 5 May 2012
  17. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Typical over reaction due to the use of the word "hack". I've got that issue somewhere and to be fair it's all pretty basic stuff and very good to know so that it can allow you to better protect your own system(s).

Tags: Add Tags