1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 1u Server Reccommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unicorn, 2 Nov 2011.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

As the title states, I need some advice on a decent 1u server which is going to be used for storage backup and low profile general PC tasks in a portable rack. I'd looked at the Dell PowerEdge 1950 (II) and liked the look of it and the price, but then I noticed that it was 720mm deep :( I need something that will fit into a 550mm deep rack. Price range is £500 or less. As far below £500 as possible, preferably. Second hand/refurbished is pretty much what I'm looking at.

I'm kicking myself because I just sold a small 2u server about 3 months ago that might have done this job perfectly, but I didn't know I was going to need it until this week! Hindsight and all that ;)

I wouldn't mind stretching to 2u too much, although to keep the unit I'm building as compact as possible for transport purposes, I'd like to get a 1u one. Minimum spec should be 4GB RAM and at least a 2.5GHz dual core CPU. A Quad core/two duals would be better though.

TIA all!

[edit]

I forgot to add, if it's really necessary for me to go up a size in rack depth I will. Depending on what cases I get for the full height machines (4u) I might need to get a 650mm deep rack instead.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2011
  2. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Ill have a word with my Supermicro BDM tomorrow. Usually do lots of niche products so they may have a shallow server available.

improprietary likes this.
  3. Unicorn

Thanks, much appreciated :thumb: I figured it might be a niche sort of thing when I started looking and couldn't turn anything up!

4. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Couldn't you get a case like this and build your own inside it?

5. Unicorn

Yes I could, although I don't like that the Rack Max doesn't come with a PSU. The Supermicro ones that I've been looking at come with drives and a PSU, you just select a board, memory, CPU and any expansion cards that you need.

What I would not be sure about if I was building my own is how I would cool the CPU - Surely it would need a specific 1u tall heatsink or cooling module?

6. krishan

krishan Minimodder

I know brands like akasa do low profile heatsinks. But obviously it depends on the processor, some they may not do anymore.

7. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

8. krishan

krishan Minimodder

No ? :S

9. Unicorn

Were you asking me if I'm a reseller? Thanks for the links! I'll take a look at them when I'm back on my desktop :)

10. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Yea i was wondering as it said Unicorn Systems owner

11. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Is looks a priority?
    If so I vote for modding a Xserve:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love to see one of those modded.

12. Unicorn

Ah I see. Not a reseller at present, no. We just design, build, install, repair, maintain etc. Starting to get more netowrk type work now but this is actually going to be used in a custom video capture rack that I'm building for a TV production team that we sub contract for.

:read:

I need it to be shallow. And no, looks aren't a priority anyway.

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

14. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

We do Super micro at work built configured tested and with onsite warranty's if need be.