1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: EVO, 1st August

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bugslunchbox, 1 Aug 2014.

1. bugslunchbox

bugslunchbox What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody!

This is my first project here and my first scratch build ever. I wanted a micro-ATX aluminium case that would support water cooling while being as small as possible. For some time I wanted to get a BitFenix Prodigy and chop it, but ultimately I thought building it from scratch would be more fun. For the shape I draw some inspiration from the Mac G5 and the Asrock M8. So this is the SkethUp model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front view:

[​IMG]

Back view:

[​IMG]

If you have any opinion or advice about he sketch please share.

And here is the interior view:

[​IMG]

By the way, this is the hardware list:

MB: Asus Maximus IV Gene Z
    CPU: Core i5 2500K
    RAM: Patriot Viper 1866 MHz 8 GB kit
    GPU: MSI Radeon HD 6670 (will be upgraded to ASUS GTX 760 DC Mini)
    PSU: SilverStone SFX ST45SF 450W
    HDD: WD Green 2.5TB
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

And the water cooling components:

Alphacool 240 + 120 radiators
    Watercool HeatKiller Rev 3.0 LT CPU Block
    Phobya DC12-400 Pump
    10/13mm transparent tubing + fittings
    Home made reservoir
    Home made GPU block

So right now I'm left with 2 dilemmas:

1. I'm not sure on the shape of the side window. Here are some alternative designs I've been working on. Witch one do you like best? Or if you guys have any idea, please share.

[​IMG]

2. I want a digital display on the right side panel for the water temperature and I have 3 choices:

[​IMG]

1st is from a fan controller and as you can see it displays 4 temps witch is a plus, the down side is it's big and I'm low on space so the only viable placement is above the window
    2nd is a thermometer witch I would place behind the window (left-top corner), this could look cool but I don't think is very visible is lighted from behind, also it's big - about 100x100 mm
    3rd is a compromise between the other two, but I have no idea about the placement

So witch one do you think? any other ideas?

So while I get this figured out I had the left side panel and inner cage cut out of 2 mm aluminium sheet at the water jet. The inner cage is one long piece witch I bent at 45 degree angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is welding the joint of the inner cage (held together with black duct tape in the picture) and the two pieces together, so thanks for reading and stay tuned! :D

2. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Mac G5 and ASRock M8 are both great cases, a reverse ATX mix of then should look awesome, especially with water jet cutting. :D [I'm dreaming about carbon fiber side panels...]

3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Looks like a great scratch mod, going to follow it.

One question though, that logo, it kinda reminds me of the Mitsubishi logo.

4. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Lookin good, can't wait to see more!

I'd probably go with the third window and third temp sensor option. I've seen similar temp displays with a small opening in the side panel to see the display. You know, have it recessed so you only see the lcd and not the plastic border around it.

5. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

It is the Mitsubishi logo, Evo's are the fast Mitsubishi's, like these

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Of course the Lancer EVO cars. I just didn't read any reference to it in the log so I thought it was a bit odd. My bad ^^

7. bugslunchbox

bugslunchbox What's a Dremel?

Small update - welded parts

That's right, my first car was a Mitsubishi Lancer (unfortunately not the EVO) and I liked it very much, so I chose the name and that upside-down logo as a tribute. But this is as far as I will go with the car connection in this mod.

Anyhow, thank you guys for the replies and here is the next small update. Unfortunately I couldn't find a very good aluminium welder in my town so I ended up with some spot welds that don't look very good, but I think they will do the job of holding the thing together:

[​IMG]

Also, because of the heat from the welding there was some bending of the material, so there is a little gap between the edges of the tow pieces:

[​IMG]

So next step is to grind the excess weld (don't worry those ugly welds are on the inside and won't be visible after the component's are installed) and to fill that gap with some body filler.

Hopefully I will do that over the weekend...