1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Scratch build - Design ideas required

Discussion in 'Modding' started by IcyAero, 27 Jun 2011.

1. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Hi there!

I've finally come to the situation about building my own case from scratch along with fresh hardware to fill my needs for photography. (rendering huge panoramas, for example :p) I'm still planning the case layout, but I don't want to expose it yet. The problem is how I should build the case panels. I'll be using plywood for the project, as I prefer working with wood than metal - another reason for this is that I lack all tools required for working with metal.

I was wondering about using 3mm thick plywood, glued to each other with the help of angle irons - leaving no screws or pop rivets on the outside of the panels. The problem is, I highly doubt the strength of the following method - unless I find proper glue for the job (anyone?).

I was also wondering about using a 1mm thick aluminium for the panels, but this brings the problem as the case is technically a cube (sides, front and roof requires a panel which is all built together). If I was to use aluminium then, it would require welding at least 2 sides - which I have no tools for nor budget to have it done on an overpriced sheet metal worker. :duh: Another possibility I thought of would be to use a solid roof of plywood and then aluminium side panels made from single piece. Maybe this is what I should do? How about brushed aluminium - is it expensive to make?

So, I'm in need of ideas for a panel for the case, which could be achieved with ease and without any complicated or expensive tools. And I'd highly prefer using plywood - for stain. :thumb:

2. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Over 50 views but no replies.. I thought you people had more ideas than ever needed! :rolleyes:

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Why not using thicker wood for the top and bottom panels (22mm) ? You can use that kind of threaded insert (do not know how it is called in english) to create tread in you wood panels (so tht you can screw a steal frame to your panel from the inside)

[​IMG]

maybe the side panels could be suspended at the top of the case and screwed to the bottom (but under the case if you want the screw to be hidden)

4. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Didn't really catch what you meant with those threaded inserts, a picture would describe more than a thousand words - literally. :hehe:

Suspending the side panel was also something I had in mind, if I was to use a solid top panel and then having a solid side+front panels, as I could make grooves on the top/bottom panel (which fill be thicker, yes) and use them for the side panels.

The reason I'm also aiming for the side+front panels being a one peace, is because I need as much open space as possible for accessing the components. More ideas required! :)

5. GuilleAcoustic

6. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Ah, that explains it much better.

Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. But attaching all side panels with those would be, frankly, a pain in the ass. But securing the side panels with few of those is actually a good suggestion. The main problem however still lies within actually securing the side and front panels together, especially if I'm planning to do them from 3mm plywood. Seems that I'll have to go for the solid roof and side+front panels made form a single piece of aluminium.

Or? :lol:

7. GuilleAcoustic

what is the targeted size for this case ?

8. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Around 30x25x23 (widht x depth x height), ±10% for the panels and possible fixing the dimensions. The current size of the sketch is made along SketcUp components, so I still have to draw the precision drawings of the chassis.

9. Shael

Shael What's a Dremel?

Another option for glueing the plywood panels together is the Vise Supergrip Polyurethane Glue. It is only avaialble in australia but any similar type of Polyurethane Glue will work. Its not nor your normal (white) wood glue, its mainly used in boat construction. Ive used it to glue 5 x 1' 1/2" thick jarrah planks together for a diningt table with jsut wooden dowels for stregth and guides and it wont come apart ( isuspect the wood would break beofre the glue does).

Glue isnt too expensive overall and a benefit is that its expands (foams) as it sets so it fills nooks and crannys. :thumb:
    http://www.vise.com.au/

10. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

That indeed would keep it all together - but at the same time I'd have to sand any excess foam off. :blah:

I think I have a solution which gives me some stealthing properties and at the time secure enough attachment for all the panels:

The top panel is seperated from the side and front panels, and can be attached with bolts to threaded inserts on the chassis. This way I can keep the top panel flat and have it still removable.

[​IMG]

As for the side and front panels, I was thinking about making them from a single piece of aluminium (which I shall brush) and using this sort of simple way to keeping the panels on track, and possibly adding some more threaded inserts at the backside for securing the panels in place? :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

And now this is what I call a puzzle... :lol:
    I also need suggestions for the front panel and the design of the intakes. Unfortunately I will not be able to do nothing too fancy, but simple ideas for it are welcome! ;)

[​IMG]
    Pieces are not in correct dimensions yet.

12. GuilleAcoustic

Do you have exhaust fans ?

13. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Only exhaust fans I'm planning are the power supply itself and the radiator of an Antec Kuhler 620.. :lol: - Main reasons for not having extra exhaust fans are space and the fact that this way I'll ensure the pressure level inside to be positive - keeping any extra dust out from the case. :thumb:

PS: Dimensions so far: 38cm x 25cm x 18cm (width x depth x height)

14. GuilleAcoustic

I'd turn your case verticaly (but that is only to match my tastes ... smaller footprint).

15. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Yep, but the lost footprint will be recovered as I can place all my extra gadgets (external DVD, USB card reader, modem etc.) on the desk conveniently on top of this and still reach them with ease. :thumb:

And I've always wanted to build a PC which differs from the normal "towers". :grr:

16. GuilleAcoustic

I agree ... I cannot design a standard PC. I always have to go the other way :lol:.

Beside chamfered edges I have nothing to add. I like minimalism when designing. Will it be laquered, tainted, etc ?

17. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Chamfered.. :confused: Oh you mean that top panel which is actually "floating" in the air in the SketcUp project.. no worries, it'll be going to be level with the front/side panels. :thumb:

And yes, I was wondering about lacquering the brushed aluminium, like in this guide: Clicky!. I also have to confess that I got the idea for the front panel from that very same topic... but I'm planning to replace that "black" part with stained plywood (black). :p

Now, before starting to actually build this - I need some hardware! And in order to buy new hardware, I need to sell my old hardware first! I'll update this topic in few weeks time! :thumb: :dremel:

18. GuilleAcoustic

Chamfered mean this (shawn by the red arrows) :

[​IMG]

In other way, cutting the edges in order to "smoothen" them. Make the overall design look less rough :lol:

19. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Ah, no worries about that as it's not a hard task to perform. :thumb:
    Now I'm only waiting for the release of Zotac's Z68 mini-ITX motherboard... :rolleyes:

PS: Massive thanks for your help so far :blush:

20. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Actually, I started to think about the front panel and it's design and came up with few alternative solutions. Please give your opinion and any feedback on the design is appreciated and taken into consideration. And please do suggest your own ideas. :thumb:

1. Standard 120mm intake holes.
    [​IMG]

2. A bit fancier, smoother solution.
    [​IMG]

3. The most complicated of the five when thinking about actually doing it with the tools I have access to.
    [​IMG]

4. A bit less complicated than the previous one and in my opinion, a lot more good looking.
    [​IMG]

5. Another simple design, while the shape does fit to the other ventilation holes on the sketch, it would leave most excess areas of the fans visible - not nice.
    [​IMG]