1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Nikon D7100 announced

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by dead beat, 23 Feb 2013.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

The D7100 has been announced as having a release date of the 21st March. Looks like prices will start at £1099 for just the camera body.

The key features / improvements over the D7000 include:

24.1MP DX format CMOS sensor, with no OLPF
    EXPEED 3 processing
    ISO 100-6400 standard, up to 25600 expanded
    Max 6 fps continuous shooting in DX mode, 7fps in 1.3X crop mode
    51 point AF system, 15 sensors cross type
    2016 pixel RGB metering sensor
    Spot white balance in live view mode
    1080 60i/30p video recording, built-in stereo mic, mic jack and audio monitoring jack
    Pentaprism with 100% coverage and 0.94X magnification
    3.2", 1.2m-dot LCD screen (640 x 480 X RGBW)
    Front and rear IR receivers
    Equivalent water and dust resistance to D800/D300S

There is more info here....

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/02/21/nikon-d7100-price-specs-release-date-confirmed/

Personally, I'm a little bit disappointed as I was really hoping for a D400 with 8-9 fps burst, bigger buffer and similar handling to the D300s. Although there was talk of Nikon merging the pro DX line with the enthusiast line, that's not really what I wanted. It looks like there isn't really any place in Nikon's line up for a D400 now.

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of others on this release.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2013
  2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

A lot of people are calling this the D300s replacement, but talking to a bunch of aviation photographers, I'm not so sure. No one I know is jumping to upgrade just yet, but the sensor does hold strong appeal from what I'm hearing.

Still, a compelling camera on paper, all things considered. I'm all set for an equipment overhaul now that I'm making money off photography, so I wouldn't mind a 7DMk2 with similar specs (especially the no-OLPF part).

3. dead beat

Oh there's no doubt that the 7100 will be a great camera, I just wish it had been a D400. Still, for people coming from pretty much any DX camera (with the exception of the D7000) it will probably be a worthy upgrade.

I think the only chance of a D400 now, would be in response to a potential 7DMk2. However even this would probably be released as a D7200.

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Being a D7000 owner, the only thing that excites me about this camera is the lack of the OLPF on the sensor and the extra 1.3x crop.

The 24 MP seems to be the standard Nikon lineup right now and while I can't complain too much about the size of the photos, I, and a lot of people from what I am reading, still would have preferred say a 16-20 MP sensor with better low light performance. Can't say anything to video since I don 't use it ever.

It would be nice to see if there is a D400 though. Nikon was very tight-lipped on the 7100 so I could guess that we may see one around the summer months.

5. dead beat

Yes I expect I probably would use the 1.3x crop mode quite a bit actually. However, like you say I would also have preferred less megapixels, with better low light performance and higher burst firing, up to around 8 fps.

I suspect I will end up buying a 7100 and seeing how I get on with it, with the view that I think it's unlikely we will see a DX upgrade to this anytime soon from Nikon. However, if the D400 does happen to come out later in the year, I would be treating the 7100 as a bridge camera.

But I still haven't decided yet really.

6. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

What is the primary market difference between the D300 (D400 hypothetically) and D7XXX series?

I'll probably go for the D7100 if the price comes down. I'm excited to see the reviews.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2013
  7. dead beat

A D400 would have the following advantages over the D7XXX series:

- Full alloy body construction
    - Pro button layout / ergonomics
    - More rugged build
    - Higher burst fire (probably 8-9 fps)
    - Larger buffer
    - Higher number of bracketed shots (most likely 7)
    - Probably better metering
    - Better low light performance

These would be the main differences, I expect there would be others. The AF system would most likely be the same as the 51 point system (15 cross type sensors) that the 7100 already has.

The D300/s was essentially a crop sensor version of the D700. But it was (and still is) a very good camera for sports / wildlife shooters due to the extra reach that you get from the DX sensor coupled with the high rate of burst fire.

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

9. dead beat

Well that is quite promising. Just so long as what that Nikon rep is talking about doesn't turn out to be a D7200

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

sour grapes on my part but if Nikon had put the sensor for the D600 in the 7100 body, they would have my perfect camera.

11. dead beat

What don't you like about the D600 body? It is an entry level FX camera, so there will always be drawbacks in terms of ergonmics.

The D600 is essentially full frame version of the d7000 anyway, and from what I can make out, the D7100 shares even more in common with the D600 button layout than the D7000 does.

The 7100 was always going to be a DX camera.

12. eddie_dane

I want the focusing system of the D700/D3/D7100 with a newer (but reasonably sized) full frame sensor. I don't have a problem with the 7100 offering, seems like a good improvement. I just wish we had an improved D700 that is less like the D800 and more like the D700

I'm just tired of Nikon putting the right features in every other camera.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2013
  13. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

Ya I can see the difference in controls between the D300 and D7000. That isn't such a big deal for me, metering and low light performance are though.

14. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I'm so angry at Canon, I almost want to switch to Nikon.

15. dead beat

I expect they will release the 7DMk2 in due course. Hopefully prompting the release of a D400 from Nikon.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I know that feel. They seem to be focusing on revenue, not reputation. High volumes in the consumer market mean they invested there, pumping out new Rebels by the truckload while the prosumer/professional cameras get (largely) ignored. Between that and their focus on video, it's no wonder that Nikon's running away with all the accolades.

I am ready to pick up a 7DMk2 or 100-400L Mk2 on launch day, and I know about a zillion others who are dying for an update, at least to the old 100-400L, but Canon is focusing on video-oriented IS primes and that sort of malarkey. :grr:

17. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I was writing a reply and go so damn mad...

18. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

24mp is a waste of time in a DX sensor IMO. I think the D7000 was a cracking camera as was and a D400 was the next logical step for Nikon. I would've bought a D7000, but I went for the 7D back in September and haven't regretted it. It's lightning fast for both shooting and ergonomics and it was purely the buffer, build, speed and (the then) availability of an f4 70-200 instead of f2.8.

The buffer is still probably chronically small in the D7100 and ultimately, those with specific needs (such as skiing/snowboarding for me) are left with the D300 or something FX and very expensive that still isn't as good as a top 1D.

Shame, coz apart from those couple of things, I would've loved a D7000.

Interestingly, here in North-Western Italy, it's virtually impossible to buy a Canon lens or camera. Nikon have got everybody to themselves and sponsor quite a few shops and ski clubs.

19. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

So those of you who bought the D7100, what is your impression?

20. eddie_dane

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I will get a 7100 instead of a D600. If I pick one up anytime soon, I'll share my impressions.