1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google sounds death knell for IE 6

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Feb 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Besides web search this could be the best thing Google has ever done.

We need companies like this with the power to change the user base to push web browsers forward.

3. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

IE6 is old and broken. Just let it die already. Why continue to support it if everyone CAN upgrade to a normal browser? It's not like is forced to use it with no alternative (except enterprise users, but that's just stupidity on the IT department's part).
    Time to move on, otherwise we'll be living in the past. Might as well support the ol' Netscape too :D

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Completely pre-empted me there!

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Thanks Google! Its about time. Luckily IE6 has such a small market share in finland (4%) that most devs dont support it anymore.
    But if IT departments have not upgraded yet for other reasons why would they do it for Youtube support?

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Now they need to put this on the search page to make sure plenty of people see it.

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

As a web developer this can't come soon enough.

8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

It's a good step by Google. At work we are all stuck on IE6 for god knows what reason. However Youtube is banned during work hours it's not exaclty going to make our IT department want to switch.

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

No sympathy for IE6. It should have died a long time ago and maintaining support for it isn't doing anyone any favours, least of all those people running IE6. It is trivial for most people to upgrade their browser to something more recent.

As for corporate entities, do we care? Surely the whole web-dev world doesn't need to maintain support for an archaic browser just because a few corporations refuse to upgrade. The IT Techs of said corporations should be aware of the benefits of newer browsers, and if they keep using IE6 despite all of those benefits, that is their choice and they have to live with the consequences.

IE6 was released on the 27th of August 2001 (eight and a half years ago). IE7 was released on the 18th of Oct 2006 (three and a half years ago) and IE8 was released on the 19th of March 2009 (nearly a year ago), it's not like people haven't had enough time to move on. Eight and a half years is an awfully long time in the Tech industry.

(dates are according to wikipedia)

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

As I recall IE6 was released with windows XP. Now how many people are still using XP? ;)

I'm certainly not supporting IE6 but within a big company (for instance my company has 40,000+ employees) it's not just a case of upgrading everyones browser and it certainly wouldn't be some tech guys decision. It would be up to the management to approve something like that and they simply don't understand why it needs changing. IE6 works, to a degree, so they won't understand the benefits.

11. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Our whole School System still uses IE6, asked the Admins if they'll be upgrading any time soon after they saw this, and still no luck, wish we could get access to Chrome or FF, six feels so outdated after using the modern equivalents, after all the small short cuts and handy little things implemented over the years, it feels weird :p

12. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Too bad we're still forced use to IE6 at work :(

13. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Way to go Google, fighting old software and creating work for the IT sector at the same time!

14. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Still on IE6 and Windows 2000 here... And I'm forced to use it, it crashes every 5 pages... :(

15. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be done to encourage IE6 to die.
    Corporate IT will sit up and listen, as YouTube is a major site.
    The thing holding most Corporate environments back from upgrading, is the support costs. First off you have to deploy the newer versions, then you have to pay for support when a user calls the helpdesk and complains that their Web Applications (that were designed for IE6) do not work anymore. THEN you have to pay out to re-write or find alternatives to those applications, all the while taking the hit for the lost productivity, or rolling back changes.

I know this is somewhat simplified, and could be mitigated by good planning, but every corporate environment running IE6 will run into these issues.

Several sites have stopped working at work for me in IE6 - google maps locks up the browser, and Akamai control centre has critical Layout issues :(

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Me! :D
    Also my work, and therefore IE6.

Personally I use firefox, but also in an older version as the last updates to a new version always killed my plugins/links. (and I'd have to kill the "awesomebar" again) *sigh*

New computer -> New OS -> new browser :thumb:

Really? In my company Youtube is blocked...so is ebay.... (and the "Gaming" section of BitTech along with all other gaming related sites)

17. dslickness

dslickness What's a Dremel?

RIP EI6, you were good to us way back then. But now you are a dead horse that people are still beating.

18. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

A 10% market share? Try 17%, it's best not to get browser usage stats from sites about web development, they tend to be somewhat skewed ;)

As others have said, people using IE6 are either locked in by their company's software setup, or aren't the type to use YouTube or Google's "web apps" much. If this move causes IE6's market share to drop by more than 2% I'll be stunned. It's a shame, some of my clients at work could save thousands if that browser would just roll over and die.

19. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

I'm still on XP, but hell no to IE6. That browser is the reasoon why i need to have ie tabs installed on FF.

Personally, upgrading to Win 7 is a dumb option for me. Since when does the OS cost 60% the price of the hardware?

20. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Tell them IE6 is a major security vuln. and that they need to switch to Firefox or Chrome. Seriously. If Google can be hacked because of IE6 (IIRC), anyone can. :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags