1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must resist buying cards ... must resist ... must ...

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Christopher N. Lew, 12 Aug 2009.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

OK, so there are a couple of EVGA 9800GX2 SSC edition for sale on eBay - priced slightly high I think. If they were a bit cheaper I would buy them straight off. So, is anyone prepared to save my credit card more stress, and buy them before me?

2. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

why dont you get a loan...

or make him an offer??

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Hmm, might be a worthy replacement for my dying 8800GTS :p

Must also resist though, bought too many custom flashlights these past couple of months :/ One hobby gets fed and the other starves :lol:

4. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Resist, resist, resist..... Resistance is futile! lol

CNL, I thought ParcelForce were going to delay things another day. They turned up in the end to pick up the parcel, so I very much hope it arrives tomorrow.

If you don't score those eBay cards, on my list of things to liquidate...... A 9800GX2 and 8800GTX. Both just sitting there in anti-static bags growing older. This 9800GX2 is a good one - low temps. Same shader count as the 8800GTX so the pair of cards play nice together in the same mb. Not even thought about a price. Interested?

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

If Christopher isn't interested in the GX2 I may well be Clive if the price is right :D

6. JackOfAll

I appreciate the interest, but no more PM's, please!

It would be good if I could get back 100 quid for the GX2 and I'll pay the postage. The 8800GTX, for an additional £30. If CNL isn't interested, I'll get back to you.

7. coolamasta

OK mate no worries, just after the GX2 as I have a perfect spot for it :D

8. Christopher N. Lew

In the light of a sunny day, my resistance is greater. I already have a machine full of 9800GX2 SSCs, and I really want to save the cash for a more interesting project. I hope I won't need any backup cards.

So thanks, Clive, for the offer, but it seems you have some other takers. And I'll leave the cards on eBay alone, so anyone else won't be bidding against me.

Fold on. :thumb:

Christopher

9. JackOfAll

No problem.

Coola, I'll send you a PM later after I find the box for the card and get it ready to send.

10. Unicorn

8800GTX would be a nice replacement for my 8800GTS when it eventually kicks it... I think I'm even right in saying that the AC Accelero Xtreme 8800 cooler from the GTS will fit it.

Hmm *strokes (imaginary) beard*

I'll get back to you :)

11. Unicorn

Well that was quick, it does support it. If it's still going, I'll take the 8800GTX off your hands Clive :)

12. Christopher N. Lew

JackOfAll - purveyor of fine graphics cards to the folding community. :clap:

13. JackOfAll

Okey dokey. It's yours. Now did I mention the additional £20 postage charge? Only kidding! ;)

Let me see if I can find the original box for it. (Actually, It may have been a OEM card without a box.) Get back to you tomorrow.

14. Unicorn

Wouldn't be the first time :hehe:... :eeek:

Let me know about the box, either way I'll take the card, but if you do have the box send it as well, I'll add it to the "wall 'o boxes" which consists of the boxes for almost every graphics card I have installed in anything this year :lol:

More than half of my farm now consists of cards donated by JackOfAll [​IMG] [​IMG] for which I am very very grateful! [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Aug 2009
  15. JackOfAll

Ever feel you've been mugged with paying the 'leccy bill for them? ;)

16. Unicorn

Touché! :D

17. coolamasta

No hurry mate, I will have it off ya but need to quickly find a cheapy cheap case with 8 PCI slots or even an open case which also has to be nice 'n cheap IE not the antec skeleton lol :D

18. Unicorn

I have like.... *counts*.... 10 bare chassis without side panels in the shelves of the workshop - does that count? :eyebrow: Oh wait, they're all old and crap, and I don't think any of them are likely to have an 8x PCI backplate :duh:

They're only here for scrap metal really. Drive cages and IO panels for custom cases :p

Let me know what you get that's cheap and has an 8x PCI backplate, because I might need one soon :thumb:

19. coolamasta

Cheers for the thought Uni :thumb:

I dont mind "making" AKA :dremel:'ing an 8th slot on an old case as long as theres enough space to do so, will start seeing what old cases I can find amongst friends and in work :lol:

OR I will use a few cheap Ikea chopping boards and some Aluminium angle/strip like ive seen someone else do somewhere.....

20. JackOfAll

Chaps, talking of 8 slot cases....

"The demo machine used an ASRock X58 SuperComputer motherboard with an Intel Core i7 Extreme processor, 12 GB of RAM, dual 1 TB disks in a RAID mirror, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250-Watt power supply, four EVGA GTX 295 cards and a custom Manifold "E" case."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've no idea how much this case costs but I stumbled onto it. Manifold Runs over 1,920 Processor Cores in New GIS Supercomputing Desktop Record, Manifold a company that use CUDA for GIS apps, had this case made by a prototype company (that has a branch in the UK), Protocase. You can apparently request this case design from Protocase, but again, no idea how much it costs. There's a pdf build manual also that's worth a look, hardware build manual.
    Anyway, I thought it was all quite interesting. (Or at least the case and hardware config is, 4x GTX295, not the GIS software. ;))

P.S. Case being quite small, not sure I'd want to run that with the top on. I wonder how much the bottom "U" alone costs.....

Last edited: 13 Aug 2009