1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Linux Fedora folding questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by coolamasta, 16 Aug 2009.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I've just built an Ubuntu x64 i7 rig and as im a total noob to Linux I need a core temperature program and also a way I can remote onto the Ubuntu box from Windows, what can I use?

Thanks in advance for any help :thumb:

Last edited: 18 Aug 2009
  2. coolamasta

FAO: Clive or any other Linux jedi's :)

Can you help me with this one pleaaaaaaase :D :thumb:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=173223

Also I have managed to get FAH working fine on Ubuntu 64 but I'm having a nightmare trying to get an Edimax USB wireless N dongle to work, wayyyyy too much command line stuff I don't understand to install it :(

At this rate im going to have the rig connected on a 10m Ethernet cable but it would be nice to get the wireless dongle working, just dont know how to install things in Linux and the readme file assumes you know the basics lol :wallbash:

3. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Sensors ..... We need to figure out what mb you got or more specifically what is the IO chip on it? Have you tried running 'sensors-detect' as root? (That's assuming you have lm_sensors installed.) coretemp module will at least give you the 8 CPU core temps, IO chip driver support needed for the usual voltages and MB temp, etc. etc.

Wireless cards. Yes, that's not a Linux strong suit. Do you know what chipset the usb dongle uses? Failing that, exact part number and I'll do a little research.

You wan't to get to it from Windows. Choices. Run a VNC server on the Linux box (gui) or download putty (ssh client for Window$) so you can ssh into it (cmd line).

Last edited: 16 Aug 2009
  4. coolamasta

Cheers Clive, its an Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard and an Edimax EW-7718UN wireless dongle, below is the stuff its telling me to do, apart from extracting the tar.bz2 file to get the files im proper stuck as its all double Dutch to me, I have typed 'make' and its does a few things and then says 'ERROR 2'

Think im out of my depth a bit here lmao

1> $tar -xvzf DPO_RT2870_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x.tgz
    go to "./DPO_RT2870_Linux_STA_x.x.x.x" directory.

2> In Makefile
    set the "MODE = STA" in Makefile and chose the TARGET to Linux by set "TARGET = LINUX"
    define the linux kernel source include file path LINUX_SRC
    modify to meet your need.

3> In os/linux/config.mk
    define the GCC and LD of the target machine
    define the compiler flags CFLAGS
    modify to meet your need.
    ** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    ** Build for being controlled by WpaSupplicant with Ralink Custom Event
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n'.
    command: #./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d

4> $make # compile driver source code

5> $cp RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat

6> load driver, go to "os/linux/" directory.
    #[kernel 2.4]
    # $/sbin/insmod rt2870sta.o
    # $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up

#[kernel 2.6]
    # $/sbin/insmod rt2870sta.ko
    # $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up

7> unload driver
    $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 down
    $/sbin/rmmod rt2870sta

5. JackOfAll

Right, we'll come back to the wireless later.

OK, there are two drivers for sensors, the ACPI driver asus_atk0110.ko is preferable if you have a recent enough kernel version. Try 'sudo modprobe -v asus_atk0110'. Otherwise, try 'sudo modprobe -v w83627ehf'. Then 'sensors' from the cmd line should give you something useful if one of the modules loads. The ACPI driver reports actual values. You'll need to have a correctly configured /etc/sensors.conf with the multipliers for the w83627ehf driver. Did you run sensors-detect as root? It should find the the chip for you and configure the correct modules in /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors so they get loaded when you boot up.

6. JackOfAll

Wireless .....

This is where I wish you'd installed Fedora and I could just give you the instructions for configuring the rpmfusion repo, which has already packaged the the ralink drivers for the rt2870. No need to compile them, just install the kmods and away you go.

Anyway, I assume your make error is probably due to kernel source path. Did you edit LINUX_SRC to be whatever is the correct kernel src path on Ubuntu? I have no idea where this is on Ubuntu or which package you need to install to get the kernel source. I'll have to do some research unless someone else can jump in with Ubuntu specifics?

7. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Edit - Ninja'd and beaten to the punch by others.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2009
  8. coolamasta

OK sod it just downloading Fedora ISO and will chuck that on instead, I had no reason to choose Ubuntu over any of the others just was the one mentioned the most lol.

Will let you know once ive got Fedora installed then hopefully I'll get this mofo running today.

Did you say as well you could help with with WINE so I can GPU fold on Fedora as well?

REALLY appreciate your help on this Clive, hopefully I will learn a thing or 2 about Linux as well :)

9. JackOfAll

x86_64 if you install Fedora, please! ;)

I don't wan't to sway anyone from making their own choices whether it be Ubuntu or James the other day with Opensuse. Thing is though as much as I want to help, I know Fedora well, the others I don't. Even though they're all Linux, configs and packages are slightly different and although I can guess at things on other distros, with Fedora I can tell you exactly and probably either a) already have the packages or b) can tell you exactly what and where to edit in order to just make things work.

Yes, I'll create a tar with all the rpms you need to install. You'll have to bear with me for an hour or two - I really must go and cut the grass first.

10. coolamasta

No Problem mate no hurry, I have to get a roast on in a sec anyway lol

Ive just installed Fedora 11, Kernel: 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586 GNOME: 2.26.1

Doesn't tell me if its 64 bit though!

Didn't realise It would take the whole HDD and not dual boot ha ha, no biggie though :)

11. JackOfAll

(My fault. I should've spelled this out to start with and given you a link.)

Well, it does tell you if it's 64 bit.... If you've got an i586 kernel installed it's not x86_64! ;)

Fedora-11-x86_64-DVD.torrent

I always start from the full 4GB x86_64 install DVD.

Fedora 11 Install Guide

12. coolamasta

:lol: :lol: Ah yeah didn't see the i586 bit, well my excuse is it didn't stand out enough for me :duh:

Am downloading that torrent now but its going slow (250kb/s) where I downloaded the other versions at 1.5-2mb/s, probably means ive been capped by Virgin Media as Ive downloaded 3 versions of linux and done hundreds of megs of updates on each, doh!

Ah what fun it is for a Linux noob :eek: :lol:

13. coolamasta

Right Fedora x86_64 is now installed, took forever to download :(

Just updating it then all ready to get this sucker popping out some bigdev's :D

14. JackOfAll

Cool. The GPU folding and CUDA stuff will have to wait till tomorrow afternoon. I've been out of action all evening (don't ask) and I'm going to be tied up tomorrow morning. But I'll assume you have X running .....

So here's instructions for fahmon.

FahMon-2.3.99.530-2.fc11.x86_64.rpm. Right click, save as. Launch a terminal, cd to the directory you saved the file and ....

Code:
    sudo yum --nogpgcheck localinstall FahMon-2.3.99.530-2.fc11.x86_64.rpm

Give the root password. yum will pull in the dependencies and install the package for you. You should then have a menu entry for fahmon or you can launch it from the cmd line - 'fahmon'.

Code:
    sudo yum install wine

That'll get wine installed and tomorrow we'll carry on with the wireless and CUDA. 'wine notepad.exe' from a cmd line should launch notepad, of course. ;) (NB. Installing wine will pull in a lot of dependencies.)

15. coolamasta

Thanks Clive :)

Silly question but what is X? lol

I dont need FahMon on here as I will monitor it from another machine

The code for wine just brings up an error, dont I need to download it first?

I realllllly know nothing about this hahaha

16. JackOfAll

X - XWindows, the GUI, rather than a full screen console.

Err, 'sudo yum install wine' should download and install wine. What error do you get?

P.S. Only just got back from my 11:00 meeting..... More later.

17. coolamasta

Ah yeah im using the GUI! The error I was getting was that I wasn't in the sudoers group so I found a how-to online so done that and installed wine ok :D

I await your expertise to sort the rest whenever you are ready bud :thumb:

18. coolamasta

Been having a play with getting VNC working and besides extracting the download im stuck and dont have a clue what to do lol.

I managed to install something called K Sensors which will give me a temp reading overall for the CPU but not individual core readings, can anything be installed to do individual core temps?

I thought I would go on with configuring and testing FAH so I downloaded the latest version from Stanford and then the new fah6 core for the -bigadv WU's, set it all up as normal using the -bidadv -smp 8 and -verbosity 9 commands, it started as normal, downloaded a large WU, said Entering MD and then this happens and it doesn't go any further even after being left for 15 mins!

Any ideas? Feel such a dumbass when im trying to use Linux :wallbash:

[​IMG]

19. JackOfAll

Sorry, I've been rather tied up.

OK, sudo ..... Hopefully, the online howto told you to add your userid to the wheel group and edit /etc/sudoers, uncomment the line that does not require the root password from users in the wheel group.

Code:
    ## Same thing without a password
    %wheel  ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

20. JackOfAll

I'm not sure what you've downloaded.... Fedora has packaged a version of vnc - tigervnc.

Code:
    sudo yum install tigervnc-server

Now as root (using sudo) use an editor to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers. The last two lines which are commented you need to uncomment and edit....

Code:
    # VNCSERVERS="2:myusername"
    # VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 800x600 -nolisten tcp -nohttpd -localhost"

Put your username instead of 'myusername' and remove the security related options from the second line. I assume your machine is behind a firewall, in which case there are no security implications. Geometry, pretty obvious what that is - of course, you may change it to 1024x768 or something larger.

Code:
    VNCSERVERS="2:your_user_name"
    VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 800x600"

This will configure a vnc server to run on display number 2. Now run 'vncpasswd' as your user from a console, not as root.. Type a password and verify it.

Code:
    sudo chkconfig vncserver on
    sudo service vncserver start

Execute the above commands. The first will configure the service to start/stop when you boot up and shutdown. The second will start the service now. (In future the vncserver will be started when the system boots.)

From your windows machine connect to the vncserver using a vnc client. Put ':2' after the ip address or machine name. The server is running on display number 2! Use the password you configured with vncpasswd.

Yes, upgrade to my version of ksensors. ;) It's patched to correctly enumerate when you have more than the one of the same type of sensor. ksensors-0.7.3-17.fc11.1.x86_64.rpm Right click, save as. From a cmd prompt in the dir which you saved the file to...

Code:
    sudo rpm -Uhv ksensors-0.7.3-17.fc11.1.x86_64.rpm

Let's go back over your lm_sensors config.

Code:
    sudo service lm_sensors stop

Stop the lm_sensors service so it unloads the kernel modules currently in use.

Editor using sudo, open /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors. You want two modules configured in here. Check what you got in there at the moment against what is below.

Code:
    HWMON_MODULES="coretemp asus_atk0110"
    MODULE_0=coretemp
    MODULE_1=asus_atk0110

Now run these commands ...

Code:
    sudo chkconfig lm_sensors on
    sudo service lm_sensors start
    killall ksensors && ksensors

First line - make sure the service is configured to start when the machine boots. 2nd line - restart the service in case you edited the config. 3rd line - kill ksensors and restart it. Now if you go into ksensors preferences, you should have all 8 coretemp CPU sensors - 1 per core, plus all the mb sensors and voltages via asus_atk0110.

(If you type 'sensors' from a cmd prompt you should get a listing of the 8 coretemps and the readings from the atk0110 module.)

Yes, give it more time. ;) 15 mins is not long enough. Frame time on a bigadv will be 35-40mins assuming a 3.8GHz overclock.

Tomorrow we'll configure rpmfusion repo, wireless, nvidia and CUDA.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2009