1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD's losses mount as Read teases low-power plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

How can companies keep posting losses and yet continue to trade? Appears to me that AMD did not plan beyond the Athlon64 and has been playing 'catch-up' ever since.....struggling with an identity of what they are or what they intend to be is also a factor here.

I hope they can remain a force to be reckoned with and that the next batch of CPU/APU/GPU products are more in line with peoples expectations.

3. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Some divisions of AMD *must* be doing well and profitable, otherwise investors would simply stop. Personally, I wouldn't invest in AMD, the epic losses and being continuous as well says to me that this company is doing something wrong.

It's a catch-22 though, Intel need competition for them to keep pushing onwards, is it me, or are intel prices creeping upwards? That could just be because I have about £10 a month budget to spend on PC upgrades so maybe the prices just feel bad to me!

And Intel won't feel pressured by ARM in anywhere other than the mobile market (unless ARM have mastered servers of 100's of ARM CPU chips?)

4. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

This is why I really don't understand the rumours that both Microsoft and Sony will be using AMD exclusively for their next consoles. AMD has been hurting for some time so it isn't shock news and putting all your eggs in a basket with no bottom is madness. yet the rumours persist.

I recently bought my first AMD chip since the Athlon x2 for a HTPC due to the better iGPU they offer over Intel. So I believe they have some design wins right now but Haswell may bury them.

5. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

What i want to know is where this leaves their graphics division? I say this because that was always a concern for me when they purchased ATI. Even tho their graphics cards are strong competition to Nvidia huge losses for the rest of the company could hurt investment in new graphics, unless money for that is ring fenced.

6. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

I wonder if that plan is the Next Gen consoles? Rumours are that the Xbox and PS4 will both have 8 core AMD CPU's and AMD GPU's?

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Losses always sound bad year on year with AMD and this new number is a shocker. However, it's assets are keeping it a float no doubt and they have brought on board executives who have done well elsewhere. I know that's no guarantee of success and future realises sound ok but it will be brown trouser times until they release. With it's share price so low and staying that way, I see it as a huge target for someone to takeover

8. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

I think they'll still be around for a long time yet, rumors as mentioned above that the xbox has an AMD chip in it which will be a massive finical gain for them.That and the fact alot of people are buying up there 7x series.
    Not doing great in the Desktop market but still see lots in the servers world.

9. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

AMD losses detailed:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/amd_q4_2012_financial_results/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/23/amd_seeks_profitability_by_end_of_this_year/

Losses were actually below what analysts had predicted,margins have increased somewhat and share price actually has increased slightly:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsav...oss-smaller-than-expected-shares-inch-higher/

It seems the major component of the loss is actually due to their agreement with Global Foundries regarding wafers. Outside that they actual made lower losses than in the previous quarter. It really seems Global Foundries is more or less a big problem for AMD with their excessive charges!! :(

However,at least one good thing has emerged - nearly one third of all notebooks sold in Q4 2012 in the US used AMD CPUs!

10. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

All great news Cat-The-Fifth, the question would be what to buy to help the firm, as my old build's beginning to give me crashes and I could pull forward this new build.

If I buy a Radeon that's money for AMD but it's all about the margin, if I choose an old CPU over one of the Bulldozers for example. With Intel they don't seem to care what you buy even if they have brand new all singing-all dancing chips for hundreds of pounds, you buy a Pentium or anything in the budget line, it's still a sale.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

People console hardware is sold on licence.

AMD was in 2 of 3 consoles in the current gen.

It makes 20mil a year from Microsoft and less than that from Nintendo.

It's not going to make them break even any time soon.

The basics are this

AMD has 1bil in cash
    AMD has 2bil in debt
    AMD margins are at 15% that's about 20% below break even.
    Intel now has 89% of the server market.

If they lose 1bil this year they lost 1.3 bil last year they will be bankrupt by dec 2013.

Gpu devision posted a profit of only 113mil for the year.

AMD need a miricle to survive the next year ( or a rescue by apple / Samsung for there Gpu patents which would still result in no more AMD CPUs)