1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning House of the Ryzen Sun [SPONSORED]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by iWalkingCorpse, 7 Mar 2017.

1. iWalkingCorpse

iWalkingCorpse What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, super excited to be posting this. I'm a member of AMD's Red Team Plus, and AMD sent me over a extra special box of goodies to coincide with the Ryzen launch. My plans so far are to build with what I have currently, and as I do tutorials on various modding practices, add to the build log.

Soo.. lets see some sexiness

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Parts list:

**Sponsored parts**
    AMD Ryzen R7 1800X
    MSI Xpower AM4
    2 x 8gb Corsair LPX 3000mhz
    AMD Visiontek Fury X

**self-financed**
    Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ATX in Anthracite Grey
    assorted cabling, sleeving, tubing
    Swiftech H-240X
    Mayhems Pastel Orange
    2x 4TB Seagate SSHD
    Intel 600p 256gb

Will be building in my current case until the Phanteks gets here, and testing for stability etc.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Mar 2017
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forums. A couple of things:

1) I've moved this to Modding - Planning for now until there are some pics of work actually happening

and

2) When using imgur to host pictures please select the large thumbnail option as our forum does not resize pictures for you. Also be sure to select the direct link option (the one that typically ends in .jpg). I have fixed the links for you this time :)

Thanks

GK

3. iWalkingCorpse

thx for the assist George

4. iWalkingCorpse

Just a quick update on planning stages:

My case finally arrived and she's a beauty. Going to look amazing with the X370 MSI Titanium inside, a real 80's hifi cabinet vibe going on. Will be tearing down and doing some drafting this week so I can finalize the rest of the plans.

[​IMG]

5. iWalkingCorpse

So this week has some interesting developments, first of which is that AMD sent me another care package to coincide with the upcoming Ryzen 5 launch. Really excited to swap these in for some testing, and for my daily driver while I'm working on the Ryzen 7 1800X build. The Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 looks really well-featured for a more mainstream-focussed board, with design keys from the enthusiast boards.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The other things that happened this week are some progress on a logo for the build, and also all my sleeving materials and tooling arrived. Been lusting after Mainframe Customs Teleios Sleeving for a long time now, and with this build I decided to fully sleeve everything using it. It'll really make the build pop.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. iWalkingCorpse

So today I'm pleased to announce that The House of the Ryzen Sun has been sponsored for a huge dual-loop! Time to see just how many radiators we can fit into the Phanteks Evolv ATX. The components have just arrived, so expect many more pictures as I unbox everything and finalize my plans for tubing routes.

Huge thanks to Modmymods and Alphacool for their support and guidance with this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. iWalkingCorpse

So after the high of last week’s delivery, I started fitting in hardware as I’d envisioned before shipping and discovered that due to the way the X-flow radiators are designed that while the 360 X-flow radiator was installed I didn’t quite have the clearance I need to mount another radiator onto the back mounting position without putting it outside of the case. Fortunately I’d thought about this in the planning stages, and Alphacool graciously agreed to send another 240mm X-flow radiator in case I ran into issues. Mounting this gives me acres of clearance, but doesn’t quite have the same aesthetic.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I’d still like to use the 360 I think, but have left the 240 on currently to see if anything pops while I brainstorm. I do keep eyeing the back mesh and my Dremel…
    The other option here is to forgo the back radiator, and use the 360 and 240 radiators either still as separate loops or as one loop. This would be easier, but who said this should be easy? I set out to build a showcase, dual-loop PC; as I haven’t seen anyone put a dual-loop into this case and it looked like a fun challenge.
    Also while staring at the case, I’ve decided to build some custom acrylic backplates for both sides of the motherboard tray. Will be a much cleaner look, especially once I route various parts of cabling behind it.

So while I've been given a puzzle on the radiator side, I've found a solution for one other issue: Airflow. Now we all love the sleek looks of the Phanteks Evolv, but one thing that's generally agreed is that those sleek lines come with a lower airflow from the front panel. Step in Mnpctech with his Evolv Vented Bezel. This is a full replacement for the front panel, using the existing mounting hardware from that panel. I've seen forum posters saying that their temperatures dropped 5 degrees after adding this mod, can't wait to test that out myself.

It's a straight-forward, swap hardware across and mount on the case.

[​IMG]

I've left the acrylic cover on so I don't gather scratches as I work, so here's what it looks like from Mnpctech's own website

[​IMG]

That’s all the updates I have this week, to give me some more time to think about the radiator issue I’m going to start on cabling this week, and probably some paint of components.

8. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

I will be watching!! Thanks for shareing!!

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Great choice for the case! :clap:

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm interested in seeing this come together too. I'm looking to buy the TG version but I'm struggling to find any good samples of water cooling inside the chassis. I don't have the gear that others are using, so it's difficult to judge. :D

11. mnpctech

that haul of alphacool gear is epic :rock:

12. iWalkingCorpse

Lemme reverse it..

Waterblocks (and roadblocks)..

[​IMG]
    Those custom Alphacool blocks that ModMyMods did for me.

So.. I learned something this week. Plans go awry, things break, and even the best-planned builds get sidetracked.
    I had originally planned to get some tubing routes done this week, but the universe had other ideas.

[​IMG]

First was noticing a small chip of glass in the bottom of the case. Hmm, not a good sign at any time, especially with a Tempered Glass case. Getting a RMA was easy (thanks Phanteks), but then having to ship it to Cali to get a replacement wasn’t ($65). Luckily was within Amazon’s return, so back it goes to them.

Now.. I don’t have a case. Okay.. I decide to take apart my fans to repaint the housings.. as the rain starts. Took out my sleeving supplies to start on cabling, and realised that I’d only bought male ATX pins and I need female ones. Did do my first cable crimp though, which went smoothly and gave me needed confidence for when I do get the correct pins.

Test cable sleeving on MNPCTECH Aluminum Billet Combs
    [​IMG]

I love how the cable looks on those billet combs from Mnpctech, they’re gonna look great with all the other titanium/aluminum items in this build.

So, bit of a mixed bag this week.. Haven’t really made any progress, but I’ve learned a few valuable lessons on the way. Check all your deliveries within a day of getting them, make sure you have the necessary parts (even if you’re sure you do), and always keep smiling — life’s too short to be grumpy and setbacks always happen.

13. mnpctech

Great attitude dude, keep on forging forward :clap:

14. iWalkingCorpse

The Best Laid Plans.. Or “Strike while it’s hot”

[​IMG]
    Masterplan is in effect!

So this week I’d like to talk about the importance of planning, documentation, and forethought.
    Having to RMA my case last week was a blow, one that I both hadn’t bargained for or had enough contingency plans in place so the build didn’t lose momentum. I did have some backup plans, but a combination of weather and me ordering the wrong item meant those plans were also a washout. 

That said, the first thing I decided to do once I got the replacement case back was to start on full-scale drawings of the inside so I could work off of those if necessary. This also gave me time to get a better understanding of the case itself, and some time to meditate on the next steps.

The upshot of this is that over the next week I will be doing a lot of assembly work. I have 10 Alphacool Susurro fans that I need to strip down to paint while the weather is cooperating, RAM heatspreaders to remove so I can put the waterblocks on, along with waterblocks for CPU and GPU. I’m also planning to start on cable sleeving, and will be taking plenty of photos to put together some how-to’s after I’m done.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Have also had some time to play with a few other accessories for the build, including these custom machined Ryzen fan grills from MNPCTECH, which look amazing on the Alphacool radiators.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You noticed the tape, right? Can’t put anything past you.. To fit the 3rd radiator at the back, I have to cut the top pci-e mount, which is okay as I’m not using it for hardware. Also need to do some cuts above the radiator so I can mount the fans above it. 
    Going to be a busy time, hopefully can start mounting the watercooling loops next week.

15. mnpctech

Great update, looking forward to seeing those DDR coolers installed :rock:

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Love those fan grills. The motor and lights make them look like a Tesla device :D

17. mnpctech

18. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Love it!!!

19. iWalkingCorpse

Power! We need more power!
    or Why my fingertips hurt..

[​IMG]

So my usual schedule got delayed this week, have been burning my fingers (nearly) to the bone to try and get all my sleeving done for this installment. TL:DR is that I vastly underestimated how long it would take, even if picking up the necessary skills didn’t take that long. There’s a lot of thriving after-market cable sellers, and now I understand why. It’s repetitive, it’s tough, and your fingers will burn… lots. That said, it’s incredibly gratifying, not only the process of creating with your hands, but the finished product. Currently I hope to finish the rest of it by next week now I’ve got momentum, but I wanted to make sure to post so I didn’t lose momentum over here.

My writing has been cathartic, and a great way to keep my plans/thoughts/problems both in-mind and in-focus. Thank you, whoever you are, for taking just a few minutes out of your days to follow along with me. I really believe that often the journey is more rewarding than the end. After all, what will I occupy my time with once I’m done?

That said, let’s go back to some hardware, shall we? I finally worked up the courage to remove the heatspreaders on my Corsair LPX DDR4 dimms, and armed with a few quick prayers and a very good guide on Youtube by Peter Brands, I was away.

[video=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbYrWWalsM[/video]

Few heart-wrenching moments when I thought I’d accidentally hit some of the surface-mount components with the knife I was using, and the dimms were ready for waterblocks.

[​IMG]

Interesting to see the smaller size of DDR4 modules vs DDR3

And the finished article, with Alphacool NexXxos DDR blocks from ModMyMods. These are really going to pop on the Titanium Xpower X370 board.

[​IMG]
    Shiny and Chrome!

So I mentioned that I’ve been burning my fingers.. but it’s for a good cause.. Custom cabling really makes custom builds to me. It’s a labor of love and proud as I am with the end result currently, I’m fairly sure that I’ll go back and redo this one once I’ve done all the others and my skills improve. The OEM cables for my psu (EVGA G2 850W) have capacitors on them for ripple suppression, and I wanted my custom cables to have this also. It makes it a little more difficult to sleeve, and I figured out a better way of doing it on the 2nd cable I did, so I want to go back and redo the other one to match.

Those pesky capacitors..
    [​IMG]

Teleios sleeving from Mainframe Customs
    [​IMG]

First completed cable with MNPCTECH Billet Combs
    [​IMG]

Both EPS (CPU) Cables completed
    [​IMG]

Until next time, Mod On!

20. mnpctech

Very NICE, and looking forward to next update :thumb: