1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: G5 Unlocked - Updated 10/12 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 16 Jan 2012.

1. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

First of all allow me to thank my sponsors a lot!
    Thank you for showing interest in my project and deciding to support my work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you wish to order a magnificent motherboard tray from Mountain Mods to be used with your PowerMac G5/Mac Pro case, PLEASE consider getting the 2x80 mm option. The 120mm is too wide to fit, while the 2x 80mm fits perfectly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you once again! Without you I wouldn't be able to fulfill this project.
    Pictures and the usage of the products will be added gradually.

To-do list:
    [ X ] Write an introduction. - 16/1 2012
    [ X ] Empty the case of components. - 23/1 2012
    [ X ] Put in my own power supply inside of PowerMac G5's power supply "case". 5/02 2012 - Fractal Design parts are being used here.
    [ X ] Manage to attach the motherboard. 28/03 2012 - Mountain Mods parts are being used here.
    [ X ] Manage to fix the I/O panel at the rear. 5/5 2012
    [ X ] Mount everything that is supposed to be in the case.
    [ X ] Sleeve the Powersupply. -1/5 2012 Djungelapa parts are being used here.
    [ X ] Optimize the case to be as quiet as possible - Quiet PC parts are being used here.
    [ X ] Do unboxings, reviews and benchmarks of the products I've been sponsored with. - Crucial and Antec parts are being used here.

Hi and Welcome to my project and also my first post/thread on Bit-Tech.net! I have observed the forums a while but I first now decided to register.

In Sweden (where I live) it's mandatory to do a project the last (third) year of High school and I have decided that my project will be to modify a "PowerMac G5" case.

The computer is a Macintosh / Apple and is one of the best looking chassis that exists (my personal opinion) and I have therefore decided to use this for my PC.
    Apple has a tendency to want to lock up their customers and not allow them to experience freedom and upgradeability in terms of hardware and software. For those of us who are not satisfied with the default, this is a major obstacle.

This computer, "PowerMac G5", is extremely limited in terms of replacement of computer parts (especially the motherboard) which means that the computer becomes obsolete fairly quickly and become useless as anything more than an ordinary surfing PC after a couple of years.

Why do I choose a case that can not be used for anything other than the case has been made for?
    Because the case is so damn beautiful and stylish. The entire chassis shines of quality and feels robust. The "PowerMac G5" is the "Tank of the chassis".

A hardware modification will do that I can continue to use this case for my current computer, and my upcoming computers, thanks to the upgrade I will do to it.

Pictures of "PowerMac G5":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My goal with this project is to prove that you can mix the best of both worlds. Apple's stylish and well thought design with the PC-world's upgradeability and performance, which in turn creates a very attractive computer (appearance) that has the ability to be a performance monster.

When the case mod is finished, I will run the Linux distribution "Ubuntu" and a theme called "Macbuntu" to get the classic and nice looking OSX-look, while the entire operating system and applications are Open Source / Free!.
    The computer will be used for Video / Film production which proves that just because you work with production of various kinds a Macintosh isn't a must.

I will not "chit chat" in this projectlog but rather do large updates (instead of many small), where I then also will answer all questions asked :thumb:

Hope you find my project interesting and would like to follow it.

Best Regards
    Nikkop

UPDATE 01/23 2012

A week ago I started this log and have had a busy time in school with other work. But now I have come loose from it and had time to do a little bit on the project. Hope you like the pictures here, a full load of them!

Here are some pictures I made in "Google SketchUp" to illustrate how the final product should look like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I started to do today was to remove all components from the case.
    I didn't take any pictures removing the easy parts such as motherboard and stuff. It's rather easy and basic, just find the screws holding the motherboard and then take 'em out. Solved!

Instead, I took a picture every time I took out a component and then added it to an animation.

[​IMG]

[LIST = 1]
    [*] As you can see in the picture I started with removing the side plate, no funny business.
    [*] Then there was to remove the plastic cover that sits inside, which besides is a very nice detail, I think, and I intend to keep this part when I'm done with my mod..
    [*] Step three entailed removal of the "G5" plate which is very easy as well, just take it out. In addition, I removed the metal piece that sits between the PCI slots and the CPU cooler. It is on this piece of metal where a small speaker did sit once upon a time.
    [*] 4th step I removed the motherboard (where even the graphics card sits) and the fans in the back, which consisted of 2 x 92mm fans.
    [*] Last but certainly not least (!) I removed the power supply that sits in the bottom of the chassis.

The DVD I picked off without any problems. It was stuck in the most ingenious and simple way that I made an animation to demostrate. This solution will definitely be re-used if possible!:
    [​IMG]

After I removed the parts I photographed them:

Motherboard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Graphics card:
    [​IMG]

Power supply:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fan at HDD & exhaust fans:
    [​IMG]

Hard Drive Rack:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very clever solution if I do say so myself. Will definitely be used later.

On "PowerMac G5", there is a locking mechanism at the rear of the chassis, which ensures that the side plate is in place when the latch is locked. To remove the hard drive rack and some other odds and ends that are up there, you have to remove a piece of metal that sits as the "bottom" to these things. And to remove this plate you need to remove the locking mechanism.
    This may be a little tricky if you do not how to do it, but I'll explain!

The locking mechanism:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To remove it you begin by removing the little black bits that are the "locks":

This is how I may look when I'm looking for something, lol:
    [​IMG]

The piece you see in the picture:
    [​IMG]

Removed:
    [​IMG]

Remove the lock. Repeat on all three locks:
    [​IMG]

Now that the locks are gone, we must remove the lever which moves the locks:
    [​IMG]

We'll do it best with the help of an object with a sharp, thin tip, such as a knife:
    [​IMG]

Place the knife in the ring and then try to "pop" it up gently.
    [​IMG]

So there, now it is removed. PS! Do not lose this! Will be needed later:
    [​IMG]

Remove the small bar and take care not to lose anything that comes with it:
    [​IMG]

Pull the locking mechanism:
    [​IMG]

Now, the plate is removed. It can be a bit sluggish but just summon the beast within you and you'll get it off.
    [​IMG]

Now that we have removed the "bottom plate" that was sitting up there we could remove the hard drive rack and the fan, leading to an empty case!
    [​IMG]

To be continued!

Hopefully I will be able to do a little cutting this week!

Stay tuned!

Regards
    Nikkop

Last edited: 8 Aug 2013
  2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 5/02 2012

Excuse me for the long wait, I've been a bit busy. But here's an update not featuring over 50 new pictures!
    Enjoy!

The update will be about how I took the PSU I was sponsored with " Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W [/ B]" and took off the cover and some other stuff, to be able to put it inside the PowerMac G5's PSU enclosure. When done, it won't be visible.

Here it comes! Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    Fractal Design Newton 1000W R2
    SMART MODULAR universal cabling system
    HIGH EFFICENCY 80 PLUS certified
    SILENT the Virtually inaudible 135mm Fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we have the power supply and cables from the box:
    [​IMG]

Modular power supplie, me likey!
    [​IMG]
    Specifications:
    [​IMG]
    The rear:
    [​IMG]
    The fan / Top:
    [​IMG]
    The cables
    • 4x PCI-Express 8-pin (6 +2) cable, Each 45cm long
    • 2 x SATA cable, 4 connectors, overall 95cm long
    • 1x SATA cable, 4 connectors, overall 80cm long
    • 1x Molex 4-pin cable, 4 connectors, overall 95cm long
    • 1x Molex 4-pin cable, 4 connectors, overall 80cm long
    • 1x Molex 4-pin/Floppy cable, 2 +1 connectors, overall 65cm long
    :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W:
    [​IMG]
    PowerMac G5 PSU:
    [​IMG]
    Huge difference in the dimensions?
    [​IMG]
    As we can clearly see the PowerMac G5 PSU is larger.
    [​IMG]
    Side by side, however, Fractal Design Newton 1000W R2 is higher:
    [​IMG]

We start by opening up the PowerMac G5 PSU to see what is hidden inside.

To do this we need, of course, removing several screws. However, they are very easy to find, so just pull out the screwdriver and start unscrewing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a couple of turned up screws, just lift the lid, and woila! Here are the contents:
    [​IMG]
    As we se at both pictures, it's a very large PCB (printed circuit boards) with a lot of empty space, the power supply could have been made smaller. But there's no particular reason to do that because it is hidden in the computer and not visible.
    [​IMG]
    Begin by cutting off the ties that hold the cables which connects to the motherboard from the power supply:
    [​IMG]
    After that, simply unscrew a couple of screws holding the circuit board in place. The PCB also has some kind of glue / tape under it, so just pull a little to loosen it. Here's how it looks without the cover:
    [​IMG]
    Here is the actual case. As you can see is the left a little tape that has kept the board in place:
    [​IMG]
    We have now removed the circuit board / power supply out of the veil from the PowerMac G5 and that wasn't too hard. Only a few screws here and there and no need for any kind of modification. But what about the Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W PSU?
    In order to assure me that the PSU is working before I start fiddling with I ran a functional test by plugging it in my current system.
    Very quiet fan! I can't hear it at all when my system is up and running.
    [​IMG]
    The power supply works without problems, of course! We'll see how it feels when I start picking it apart a little ;)

The first thing to do with power supply, to even do anything at all, is to open up the casing. This is done easily with a screwdriver. Just look for the screws and unscrew them.

Warning! To access one of the bolts it is required to remove the sticker that says "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED", which means that if the sticker is removed, you have no right to any form of warranty or guarantee claim.
    But as I get sponsored with this PSU just to modify, there was nothing to stop me.
    [​IMG]
    After a few screws loosened it was easy to pick the shell that sat on top.
    The fan was also plugged with a pair of rubber housing screws which I removed easily with a flathead screwdriver.
    Here's how it was after the top had been removed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If we place the power supply in the PowerMac G5 case, we immediately see that it does not fit, as we saw before also when we compared the dimensions:
    [​IMG]
    How do we make it fit then? Yes, good question with a simple answer. Out with the tools and begin to take off the cover!
    But before we do that we need to remove the fan as it is large one and it's in the way when we are going to modify.

To remove the fan, you have to pull the plug attached to the bottom of a little screwed circuit.
    [​IMG]
    Unscrew the screw, lift the circuit and unplug it, easy!
    [​IMG]
    Here we see the groundwire. Since the shell is one part, and both groundwire is attached to the same cabinet, there won't be any issues removing a part of the cabinet.
    [​IMG]
    Then we bring the plier and begin to rock. Plug of the power cord and switch positions are fixed in the housing so for now we'll cut a little rough so we'll atleast get it off somehow.
    [​IMG]

After we cut a little we pull the little monster out that will help us with the most difficult so far, to cut off the casing where it can not be cut with a plier:
    [​IMG]
    However, before we kick off the machine we put on a pair of these. Better safe than sorry!:
    [​IMG]
    And then we saw! Since we cut with pliers in the actual "net" around the plug and now the dremel will be used to get it off.
    [​IMG]
    There you go!
    [​IMG]
    After that we sawed off that part we remove the screws that holds the PSU in the bottom cover. Piece of cake, pick up your tool and just unscrew the screws you can see, they are not hidden!
    When sawing and unscrewing is complete, it's possible to remove the power supply out of it's housing.
    [​IMG]
    The underside of the PCB. It had a piece of plastic under it to prevent short circuits which I adore! Will definitely be reused:
    [​IMG]
    What remains now from having a power supply without casing is permanently bonded to the contact.
    The contact was sitting namely, glued in the casing.
    Remove the glue with a flat screwdriver and then cut of the rest with a plier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it! A contact that is free from jail!
    [​IMG]
    Since I plan to reuse the base of the housing for mounting the power supply, I cut off the "walls" that stand up.
    [​IMG]
    There, the bottom done!
    [​IMG]
    We wouldn't want to cut ourselves on the sharp edges, so time to start sanding!
    [​IMG]
    Here we have the Fractal Design Newton R2 1000w standing in the base of the former case:
    [​IMG]
    And now what we have been waiting for, will it fit in the PowerMac G5 PSU casing?
    As we see in the picture there is room inside, but it was of course before too. It was not the width or length that was the problem before, but it was the height:
    [​IMG]
    To see if it fits on the height, just gently try to get on the cover of the power supply housing.

And guess what, it worked! Not many millimeters between the PSU and the top but it did fit!
    The question is how we do with cooling?
    [​IMG]
    The power supply when it is in place inside the case:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This plug fits perfectly to the case. I'm lucky that Apple doesn't have their own standard in terms of the size of these contacts! ;)
    [​IMG]
    This brings us to the 'problem'.
    How should we cool the power supply?
    Fractal Design Newton 1000W R2've got a 135mm fan that blows air down on the PSU.
    If I don't use this fan the PSU will probably overload of heat and thus get damaged.

The power supply is 1000W and my current system draws under 500W at full load.
    That is, if a 135mm fan is possible to cool down a fully loaded 1000W PSU, then there is a possibility that smaller fans could cool down a system using less than 500w

PowerMacs G5 PSU is cooled by 2x 60mm fans, which is not much in itself. But if you had purchased a pair of 60mm fans for intake and two 60mm fans as exhaust in the PowerMac G5 case, maybe it would be enough to cool?

This is a question I will ask Fractal Design techniques. I will ask for the maximum temperature of the power supply and then with infrared heat measurement measure and see if small fans are able to cool of the beast.

If I had taken the 135mm fan and sawed a hole in the PowerMac G5 PSU case and mounted it it would have looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Not very nice and I'd like to avoid it. I would rather have kept the power supply housing as it is and instead mounted 4x 60mm fans (2x as intake and exhaust as 2x).
    Original PSU has 2x 60mm as intake.

[​IMG]
    What do you think readers? Will it be possible to cool with anything less than 135mm fan? As we said 135mm fan cools a full load of 1000W PSU so smaller fans would perhaps manage to cool the power supply if my system is under 500w full load?

By the way I tested the power supply in my computer again after modification, and it works! The PSU did survive though it was removed from it's beloved body.
    [​IMG]

Hope you find this interesting! Feel free to comment!
    Constructive criticism is always welcome and all kinds of opinions and suggestions! I prefer that people ask questions or offer ideas.

Take care and stay tuned!

Stay tuned!

Regards
    Nikkop

Last edited: 18 Apr 2012
  3. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hello!

Here's a small update!

Lets start by saying as I mentioned in the comments I had trouble getting home my motherboard plate from my American sponsor Mountain Mods .
    It arrived in my post office without any problem but when I went to get it out I had to pay a custom fee of 270SEK.

I was not exactly eager to pay that amount because I was sponsored to a non-profit school work.

However, I have fixed this issue! A few emails and a phone call to the Post imports, which in turn contacted the customs for a reconsideration of my case resulted in that I did not pay a penny for my package!
    My sponsor had even written on the package that it was a gift for a school project, and because Mountain Mods are not resellers, but producing the product itself, there was no purchase price of the product either.

And now when that has been solved I was able to proceed a little with my project!

So hope you are hungry for some pictures and text! This will be a small update since no modifications have been made, but only plans which I documented.

Apologies for some of the images that does look bad. Took them in the evenings without a tripod and with poor light source, and then I did white balance on it, which in some cases led to a little over-exposed images.

[​IMG]

This is how the package looked like when I got it. Nothing beats the feeling when you are about to poen a package you've been waiting for!
    [​IMG]

Mountain Mods are wonderful for the package of the shipping with marshmallows for free! Haha, jokes aside, the package was very nicely packed!
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looked like after being removed from the carton and marshmallows. Nice and compact to minimize the potential damage that may occur!
    [​IMG]

Here we have all the content that came with the motherboard plate!
    • Back where PCI slots and I / O plate to fit.
    • PCI and I / O plate 6x + PCI guard bits.
    • Motherboard plate where the motherboard will sit.
    • 10st motherboard distances with mounting screws for
    • 10st screws to attach all of the plate pieces together.

[​IMG]

What I liked a lot with this motherboard plate from Mountain Mods was that I got all the parts separately and may screw them up yourself. This is a big plus when you want to do what I have done in this update, that is measuring to see what fits where. If we would have done the same with the motherboard plate from Lian Li, we would have had to drill out the rivets and then use the loose parts, and then rivet it all back.

Anyway, here's pictures when I measure with the loose motherboard plates on the chassis to see what is to be placed where!
    As I mentioned before, I wondered what I should do with the back of the chassis. The basic idea was to place the motherboard plate as it is on the back, but since it does not fit (as we see the next picture), I have to think of a neat way to solve the problem!

I'm going to cut off the 120mm fan site from the motherboard plate, and just use my PCI slots and I/O plate so could I re-use the original fan mounting. But since this is not physically possible (since I/O location will cover the fans), I need to move these fan mountings a bit to the left, so that they can fit next to the I/O hole without being covered.

As we see in this picture it's 3x images assembled into one.

• Figure 1: Original case as it is from the beginning
    • Figure 2: The case with motherboard plate on the rear.
    • Figure 3: The case with motherboard plate on the rear and a large piece of paper which is equal to the fan sites to be reused. Paper bit is used to demostrate where the fan mountings will be placed and how much space it would take.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture where I have taken the fan mounting (on the inside of the chassis) to measure and see how much space it will take and where it is going to be placed.
    As we see it is very tight to fit, and after some inquiries, it seems that I will have to get rid of the PCI slot on the bottom, which means that the first PCI-slot of the motherboard won't be usuable ( since the G5 chassis is opened on the right side, then the motherboard to sit up and down).

[​IMG]

Here we have another picture where I show every fan assembly will sit.
    As we see, the fan mounting will keep their places in height but will move some to the side.
    The bottom of the fan mounting is touching the top of the PSU, which means I can't have it lower than it is.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture that demonstrates how the motherboard plate will sit inside the case. Personally I think it is in a good location and looks great!
    This is roughly how it will sit, how it will fit exactly will first be seen when I have done the rear of the case.

[​IMG]

The first part of this small update was what to do with the rear and what to place where.

Part number two is the cooling of the PSU. Original PowerMac G5 power supply is cooled by 2 x 60mm fans.
    Since I want to keep the original appearance but I don't want to cut a hole for a fan at the top, which I demonstrated a little further up in this log, I have therefore decided to reuse the fan sites located in the power supply housing.
    These fan places are in front of the power supply and these fans will blow horizontally.

Firstly, the Fractal Design Newtons R2 is designed to have a fan to blow down on the components.
    This fan is also 135mm which is quite large and the and does blow a lot of air. If I instead will go with the fans blowing horizontally there is a risk that some components are not cooled because they do hide behind other components.
    To make up for this I thought about going with four 60mm, two on the original fan placings and two fans at the other end of the power supply, which pushes the air out.
    Since the power supply has a capacity of 1000w, and my computer does not even draw near it, it might be enough with these fans.

So I'm going to try it out for a while by going with four 60mm fans and see if it's enough.
    That said, since the PSU is 1000w and my computer draws under 500W the PSU will not even sweat a little bit :)

Here we see fan sites in the butt of the casing.

[​IMG]

Here are the four 60mm fans that I was supplied with by Fractal Design!

[​IMG]

Mounted in the rear, they look like this, and they fit perfectly!

[​IMG]

Reminds me of some kind of submarine, lol >:)

[​IMG]

However I ran into a problem I had foreseen. The two extra fans that I plan to have that will push the air out from the power supply gets a little annoying to mount.
    As we see in this picture it looks like they will fit somehow, but if we see it from the side we see that the fan frame sticking up with only a few millimeters.

[​IMG]

I have basically two options to choose from in order to have these two fans that blow out the air.

Either do I have these fans outside the power supply, which leads to the PSU connector does not fall into the chassis holes for this contact. I'm able to fix this by making some kind of extension, if I decide to place the fans like this.
    [​IMG]

Option number two is to have the fans inside the PSU-case, but putting them into an angle to make them fit.
    This may influence the cooling capacity of the fans, but I'm then able to have the PSU where it is supposed to be.

[​IMG]

So what I select remains to be seen. I will try my way and see what cool best, sounds the least and is most convenient.
    I have also thought about removing a bit of the frame from the fan and maybe by doing so be able to fit the fans inside the casing.
    However I'm unsure about this and I'll have to do some research on this to see it it's possible or not.

What do you think about these options? Which would you chose? :)

Last edited: 18 Apr 2012
  4. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Hey Nikkop, welcome to the registered sides of the forum.

Ive just started some work on the G5 case which has been sat gathering dust
    for some time now, not sure what im going to do with it but I look forward to
    keeping up to date on your work see where you go.

Your photography abilities look good, might want to put some work in progress shots
    up though :geek:

Good luck removing that motherboard, mine was different but very difficult :dremel:

5. CoffeeTwoSugars

CoffeeTwoSugars What's a Dremel?

Interesting, I look forward to see how you get on

6. Normano64

Normano64 What's a Dremel?

Interesting, I'm doing the same thing as you (the part with living in Sweden, 3rd year project and a Powermac G5 case). Nice shots, will follow. :)

7. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I had one of these (well the older version) and cut it up...bit it was my first mod so it didn't turn out too great. Looking forward to this.
    And I have to agree that this is a very nice looking case

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No pics of work in progress = move to modding.

9. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thank you everyone for showing interest in my project!

I have now updated it! Please see the first post! I will do all my updates in the first posts of the thread, to keep it simple, clean and professional.

Thank you! I removed the motherboard with ease, so I guess this version of PowerMac wasn't the hard one :p

Now the progress shots are up! Good luck with your project too mate.

I have now added pictures of work in progress, will you move the thread again? Thank you

10. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Good afternoon!

I have now updated my first post with a "To-Do list". Check it out!
    I also added a list of what I'm getting from the companies that decided to sponsor me.

Best Regards
    Nikkop

11. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hello!

Here is an update of over 50 new pictures!, please look below: UPDATE 5/2 2012 - In the second post of this thread!

This update was the modding of "Fractal Design Newton 1000W PSU R2" to fit in the original G5 case. It looks a lot better than just having a loose power supply inside the case.

Take your time and read the new update and replywith questions or suggestions!

Any form of criticism / opinions are welcome and answered!

I also proudly want to announce a new partner named "Mountain Mods."
    They will provide me with a motherboard tray and a fan grill.
    I first had in mind to have the Lian-Li motherboard plate but unfortunately it only has one 80mm fan which I think is too weak for the exhaust.
    Mountain Mods provides me with a motherboard tray with a 120mm exhaust, talk about improvement!

Thanks again!
    I will take pictures of the tray when I receive it.

[​IMG]

12. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Finally starting my G5 mod would be so much smoother with sponsors. lol.

Looking great so far, keep up the good clean work

13. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

Looking good!
    As a number of others posting in this, I too am doing a G5 mod (I've actually finished but haven't uploaded anything yet)

You probably didn't need to dremmel out the back plate for the PSU cord, because they 'clip' in and you can squeeze the clips to remove.. although you would need to unsolder the connections on the other side.. much easier than dremmelling it!!

Keep up the posts :) looking forward to how you plan to tackle the ports at the back (THE main differentiation of G5 posts) so i'll be interested :)

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Just a heads up.

I'm actually glad you brought up the question about cooling the PSU.

I burnt out 4 PSU's by using the small fans, so I'd say NO! :)

(Btw I remember them as being 40mm, but the 50 you mention is probably right! :) )

They were not top range PSU's like yours, but I would personally never try with the small fans again! :)

Gonna follow this! :thumb:

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's a really great start, can't wait to see what else you can do!

16. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

Even without Angel OD chiming in about the PSU fans, I would tend to agree that small mm fans are not likely to be enough to cool a modern PSU. 40-50mm fans only move 4-6cfm each; a 135mm fan probaby moves 10 times that much air without even trying. You could think about asking Fractal design about larger heatsinks or creating some for yourself to increase the surface area, but you'd also have to make those work within the space of the Apple psu enclosure... Might be doable, but not without a lot of trial and error

My suggestion is to drill out (or perforate) the bottom of the psu enclosure and the G5 case and use the 135mm as an intake fan. Then the heated air should evac from the case naturally from the front and back.

Third option is to watercool, but you're back to trial and error with blocks, space and all that fun stuff.

*edit* After a quick search I found these, they might be adequate if you have two for intake and two for exhaust.

Standard 3-pin: http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s631/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-40mm_x_56mm_Fans-Page1.html

4-pin PWM: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5..._x_56mm_PWM_Fan_R124056BU.html?tl=g36c365s943

*another edit* Here is a 60x38mm Sunon that purports to push 56cfm of air. You might be able to make a pair or two pair of those work with a bit of creativity in mounting. http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s927/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-60mm_x_38mm_Fans-Page1.html

Last edited: 5 Feb 2012
  17. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thank you man!

When you start yours out be sure to message me your log and I'll follow it! :)

Hi, would be nice to see yours too :).

Yeah well I would need to unsolder the connections and I didn't feel like doing that. I didn't have a soldering station next to me, so I took the dremel. It went really fast and turned out to work really good so no loss at least! :D

About the rear I'll see how I'll do. Need to get the motherboard tray first! :thumb:

Hi!
    That doesn't sound too fun! Why didn't you stop after burning the second PSU? hehe.

Actually the fans seems to be 60mm (I have changed the numbers in the log now). I will as I said in the log, ask Fractal Design about the max temperature and then measure and find out if I will be able to run 4x60mm fans (2x input 2x exhaust) or not.

Thanks for your input!

Thank you mate! Glad you are enjoying it :) Stay tuned!

Hi!

The fans are 60mm actually, I was wrong about it at first.
    The fan is a 135mm fan, and Fractal Design has 140mm fans for sale that has 38.6 CFM.
    Their 60mm fans have 16,1 CFM. This means that 4x 60mm fans will move more air than a 135mm fan.
    But I have no idea how the sound will be, I want my PC to be quiet when not being pushed ^^

Also your suggestion about drilling a hole in the bottom was not bad, never thought of it! I might consider doing that if I can't use 4x 60mm fans. Thanks!

And thanks for the links provided, but those fans will sound approximately as high as a airplane if I'm not mistaken. Almost 60dB(A) will be pain for my ears, don't you think?

I will contact Fractal Design and see, and from there I will see what I can do.

Thanks once again everyone! :)

Stay tuned.

18. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

19. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

One more thing that came to mind while killing my psu's were the fact that the heatsinks on the psu, like yours, are designed to take air from a fan blowing straight down on them! I'm pretty sure that's important as well. I tend to believe that this has been tested, and found to be the ideal way of cooling it. It simply must draw the heat out way better, than an airflow going past from the side. :)

20. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Yeah they also make 60mm fans, which is what the original from the G5 are, not 50mm as I previously mentioned.

And yea I would need to decide which of those two I'd like, a quiet system or a nice looking one. I'll have to research a bit and see.

The 60mm Fractal are 19dBA. Do you think 4 of them will sound loud?

Regards

You may be right with this, However, the fan acts as a exhaust fan, not as an intake.

Also what I'm wondering about the most is that if a 135mm fan can cool a 1000W PSU at full load, shouldn't 2-4x 60mm be able to cool it if the system load is way below 500w? I mean my current system isn't really power thirsty, I'm on an AMD Phenom II X 1055t and a GTX 460.
    My full load power is way below 500w.

You still don't think I will be able to cool it with the 60mm fans even tho I'm not even close (maybe halway) of what the PSU can deliver and what the 135mm fan can cool?

The PSU maybe won't even sweat with my system ^_^

Thanks!

EDIT: Stupid me got it wrong. The fan is pushing the air down on the PSU, not draining it out. Was a little tired I guess! ^_^

Last edited: 6 Feb 2012