1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OpenGL 4.4, OpenCL 2.0 released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Such a shame OpenGL fell behind DirectX, due to Microsoft's bully boy tactics....I always found OpenGL games had far nicer graphics at the time.

Hopefully, with PS4 using a custom version of OpenGL for it's games, dev's will stick with it when porting over to the PC.

3. thogil

thogil What's a Dremel?

I'm really pleased to see some progress on standardising some parts of bindless an sparse texture extensions, even if they are not part of the core spec yet. The new buffer transfer and state block APIs look interesting. I wasn't expecting GL to keep pace with D3D so well.

What, exactly, are you talking about?

Devs often port onto D3D on windows, even if they already have the engine in OGL, because the D3D drivers are usually a lot more stable than the OGL drivers.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I too don't understand this. OpenGL is very capable of competing against DX. In many cases, it outperforms DX and I believe it supports all of the same features.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I cant speak for Hustler, but im guessing he/she was referring to the early days of OpenGL and DirectX when both where competing for the crown of best/fastest API for games.

During the days of GLQuake, and the Voodoo cards Microsoft started to push DirectX as the better API, some people at the time considered the tactics Microsoft used to be rather agresive and biased :eeek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D#Early_debate
    In the end Microsoft won the day as they managed to convince developers of the supposed advantages of DirectX vs OpenGL.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

In the old days nvidia supported stereoscopic 3d through OpenGL as well as direct x. Apparently they had to drop support of opengl because it was unstable so now we only get stereoscopic with direct x.

I don't know what games people have played that look better under OpenGL because I've always found OpenGL stuff dated. I suspect OpenGL is capable but for some reason all of the stuff I've seen based on it seems to look sooo yesterday. If anyone has links to stuff on OpenGL as good as dx I'd like to see? Isn't Rage OpenGL? I guess that's one good example.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Back in the days of Quake before Nvidia acquired 3DFX, OpenGL was far superior to DirectX imho.

[​IMG]

I also found a YouTube video comparing normal Quake to GLQuake sorry it goes on for a while, its all i could find.

Just found a more up to date comparison.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2013
  8. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

3DFX... fond memories.

I actually forgot the Unigine benchmarks work in OpenGL too!

I must try OpenGL mode on my system too.

9. AiA

AiA Minimodder

I always thought the Direct X would be limited by microsoft, once they entered the console market, So the only reason i can see for them to make improvements is because of the likes of OpenGL

is my thinking correct? as i am not that familiar with either software.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure correct/incorrect is the right way of describing it :lol:
    The two API's are just different ways of getting the same(ish) results.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D#Comparison
    From my understanding Direct3D makes it easier to develop games, where as OpenGL increases the complexity of creating an implementation (or driver) that performs well. And DirectX is Microsoft only, OpenGL is cross platform.