1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EK launches Intel 750 Series SSD water block

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've often wondered what to do when my SSD reaches blistering temperatures...

Oh, wait, nope that was definitely a lie - it never does and I never have.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Do you have an Intel 750 though or just a normal SATA drive?

4. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Does it matter? Nope. An SSD is never going to reach temperatures high enough to justify putting a Waterblock on it.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Required to cool all the l33t. :p

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If it ran hot enough to justify watercooling, you'd think Intel might actively cool the cards by default, rather than fit THE most basic passive heatsink I've seen in years, no? :rolleyes:

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I can't think of any home applications whereby the controller would get hot enough to require watercooling. Sure, if the controller was running flat out for sustained periods of time then it would get pretty toasty, but realistically how often is that going to happen?

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

A waterblock is just a different heatsink. Funnily enough drives like the 750 actually do need those, they use a lot more power than a standard SATA drive, and that power has to go somewhere. The 750 comes with a heatsink for a reason, many users have also noted that with NVME drives, under sustained loading they can slow down thanks to thermal throttling. Does that mean a waterblock is necessary? No, but a waterblock is never necessary, even on a GPU, so that's a moot point.

It's there simply because it has some mild purpose and can also be incorporated into a water loop.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Intel say power consumption is 4W idle and 22W active, I suppose it could get hot if you insulate it.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-750-spec.html

10. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

750s get really hot if you put it to serious work. If only play games you won't see a difference, but for serious stuff waterblock will be beneficial without question.

It's ironic that they released it to the market 10 days after finishing rebuilding of my loop... I not taking this apart now, but I would gladly get 2 if I knew in advance.