1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Major PC issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Trance, 19 Oct 2014.

1. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Hi this is in relation to the pc in my sig.

The problem first started with the pc freezing quite a lot, mostly when idling on the desktop. Then it moved onto just doing looped crash before posting, restart, crash before posting.

I reseated the ram and removed the gfx card so its just a hdmi straight from the motherboard.

This morning it worked absolutely fine like that, so I turned it off, put the gfx card back in and same problem, took it back out again, problems persist.

When the gfx card isn't in it sometimes crashes or freezes with multicolour lines streaking horizontally across the screen.

I have reset the BIOS and a couple of times got into the BIOS before it crashes, it would appear from the stats that the CPU is constantly turboing to 4.4GHz and at over 1.3V (think it was 1.342V).

I'm thinking it's either the CPU or the motherboard stressing the CPU unnecessarily for some reason... thoughts?

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

1.3V is rather high, are you sure it's turboing to 4.4GHz and that 4.4Ghz @1.3v isn't the base clock/voltage with it turboing higher ?

3. Trance

Well it shouldn't be, as I reset the BIOS as I said so everything was on auto and it looked like before it crashed it was on a 44x multiplier for turbo, ie 4.4GHz turbo, but there is absolutely no reason why it should be turboing in the BIOS as far as I'm aware, and 1.342V is higher than when I had it overclocked.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I seem to recall having an issue similar to this a while back and it turned about to be a bad stick of ram.

Have you tried testing with a single stick at a time?

5. Trance

Managed to get into BIOS, was running at 1.38V! Managed to disable turbo boost, back to 4GHz and 1.275V (Stock Voltage). Managed to boot into desktop, will see if I crashes again, if it doesn't will turn off and install gfx card and see again, something is obviously wrong though!

EDIT: Haven't tried 1 stick of ram, will see how this goes then try.

EDIT 2: Crashed into the most horrendous graphical glitch I've ever seen. Horizontal lines and the entire screen jumping from side to side.

6. Trance

Update, appears one of the RAM sticks was causing the crashes, but even with the better one in I'm getting a constant flicker on the screen, with or without gfx card in. Likely to be the other stick? unfortunately sold my spare DDR3 like a fool.