1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals broken keyboard cable, need a replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 26 Jun 2015.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

As the title says my Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 is in rough way.
    [​IMG]

The cable has been damaged from usig it from my sofa. I tried to open it but couldn't figure out how to get the top off. I also don't have a soldering gun so I dought I could pair the cable anyways. Now it comes down to replacing it. I do game, but more so with my 360 controller. The only special key I use is the calculator shortcut so I don't care about media and macro keys. I'm a PhD student so I would appreciate something that is more comfortable to type on. I work on my sofa with the keyboard on my lap. Wireless would also be ideal if possible. I don't mind buying used as I'm a student on a tight budget.

So, what are my options? I would love a wireless, mechanical ergonomic keyboard but even if one did exist I wouldn't be able to affor one. Another Microsoft 4000 is around £30. The ergonomics are nice but it is not great to type on. I would't mind giving a 10keyless a try if anyone has a spare kicking around, or really anything mechanical keyboard. The Truly Ergonomic Keyboard is also out of my budget. So it seems that the Microsoft 4000 is the only budget eurgonomic.

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

Aren't those two statements a contradiction in terms?!? I couldn't possibly work like that, but - horses for courses.

A wireless, ergonomic, mechanical keyboard... add a Bluetooth module and batteries to an ErgoDox?

I almost only use a KBT Pure - it's a 60% keyboard, so probably to small if you're only just considering going down to a TKL, but what it does have is a pretty good function key layer - calculator is fn+Y function key to the right of the space-bar, so thumb and index finger easily does the job.

There's a guy has a Microsoft natural elite on Deskthority and only asking €10 plus shipping from Ireland...

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

In an ideal world I would have an office, or at least a desk. I have a relatively comfortable but not ideal work station and my fiance gets the kitchen table. I the last place I had a beanbag on the floor so this set up is an improvement. Not looking forward to a shared flat in London.

I'm working on getting a desk in my graduate department.
    [​IMG]

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

The ErgoDox is way out of my budget and impractical for my work space.
    The KBT Pure is interesting but I think I will try a TKL mech if I can get one used.
    Otherwise another micrsoft 4000 for £30